Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - TheGrocer
The tram lines on the motorways seem to be getting worse or is it me? I know that they are caused by trucks sinking into the melting tar in summer (all 4 weeks of it) but you dont see it as much in other (and hotter) countries. Why are we so naff at keeping our roads in a proper state?
The other day the tram lines were so bad (M25 slow lane)I nearly veered into another car. Its no wonder no body wants to drive in the slow lane any more, it aint safe!!!
\" Keep doing the same old thing, youll get the same old thing, try something different today!\"
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - NowWheels
The tram lines on the motorways seem to be getting worse
or is it me? [snip]Why are we so naff at keeping our
roads in a proper state?

Partly because our trucks pay much less tax than they do in other European countries, so there isn't so much money available to pay for the wear-nad-tear they cause.
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - Thommo
NW,

I think you will find they pay far MORE tax than our European cousins. You are failing to take in to account fuel duty.

It is actually cheaper for a French lorry to fill with fuel, get on a ferry, do deliveries in UK and then get on a ferry back to France than for a local lorry to do the same thing. And this actually happens...
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - Thommo
Incidentally you want to talk tramlines try the Oxford bypass and in particular the stretch from the Botley turn to the M40!
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - Truckersunite
It isnt normally the tarmac but the substrate underneath compacting over time.Alot of european roads are concrete and tramlines happen less on concrete. 44t running on six axles with air suspension is alot kinder to the road surface then at any time in the past. It is just down to poor road maintenence, we all know how little of the road fund licence is actually spent on the roads!!!
Compacting overtime?. Ive seen it happen over one summer!
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - Skodaman
Apparently they are caused where the foundations are not deep enough. You can resurface the top as many times as you like, but the trucks will keep making the tramlines. If you could see a cross section of the whole construction there would be two big dips corresponding to the track width of a truck. The only way to fix them properly would be to dig up the entire lot and start from scratch.
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - ad
The first time I encountered these was about ten years ago in Belgium where they warned you of 'Spoorvorming'. I thought this was a great word, and it's how I always think of them now.

Andrew
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - somebody
I think "Spoor" means fog, not tram-lining!

I used to drive the E40 to Brussels a lot and it had appalling tramlines down the inside lane.
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - Ex-Moderator
I thought it meant tram tracks. If it means fog, then that would explain some of my confusion in Belgium.
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - SjB {P}
Spoorvorming

I lived in the Belgian towns of Tervuren and Sterrebeek for three years apiece, and am sure that I have seen such signs where the road surface was rutted, as opposed to tram tracks existing.

Certainly the literal translation of the Flemish word 'spoorvorming' is 'rutting' or 'tracking'.
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - John R @ Work {P}
Mark,

The nearest translation is from Dutch to English and it means 'track shaping'.

What a super tram system the Belgians have. From one coastal boarder near France to Holland, and only 5 Euros for an unlimited all day pass.

Regards,
John R @ Work :¬)
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - somebody
Very strange. I clearly remember a Flemish-speaking Belgian at the company we visited what "Spoor" was, and he told me it meant fog.
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - Kevin
Spoor is from Dutch and means 'track' or 'trail'.

If you are hunting in southern Africa, your guide will 'follow the spoor'.

Kevin...
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - Altea Ego
If he followed it onto the M25 he would end up as biltong
RF.

If you have a taste for good biltong visit the foodhall in Harrods. They have very good kudu biltong. Expensive but worth it.

Kevin...
Our local butcher gets it in for me. Cant say its Kudu tho.
RF.

Lucky sod, where do you live?

Kevin...
North West Surrey

He gets Boerewors in as well.

There is a good SA butcher near Richmond Park Sheen gate as well.
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - henry k
There is a good SA butcher near Richmond Park Sheen gate
as well.

>>
Yes. Off Priory Lane at the A305 Upper Richmond Road end near the Rosslyn Park Ground.
Look for the advertising board, with the SA flag on it, on the pavement
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - henry k
Spoor is from Dutch and means 'track' or 'trail'.
If you are hunting in southern Africa, your guide will 'follow the spoor'.

>>My dictionary agrees and says spoor has an Afrikaans origin.

Websters online says "Dutch - tracking, volging, spoorvorming (rutting), spoor (imprint, print, railroad, railway, spur, trace, track, trail)..."
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - tack
The worst tram lines I have come across are on the dual carriageway before you reach the 2nd from last roundabout coming from Bluewater to the Dartford Crossing. They are shocking. 1st time I hit them, almost ripped the steering wheel from my hands.
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - Big Bad Dave
"you dont see it as much in other (and hotter) countries"

We suffer from them terribly here in Poland. I can drive the first fifty miles to my wife?s home town without holding the wheel. You have to make them part of the equation of overtaking. Rather than fix them, they simply plant warning signs about them.

Much of the new road-building program here is being funded by the EU as opposed to local taxation. Maybe that?s why there?s no money to repair them in the UK.
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - greenhey
Try the A12 , serious problem . Sooner rather than later they will have to fix it, which will cause terrible trouble.
Interesting that the people who own the M6 toll , despite the government's attempts , priced lorry tolls so high as they didn't want to meet the cost of repair from them ( no- we do that)
It does actually happen on concrete as well. Believe this or not the concrete actually migrates into ripples as well.
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - Civic8
I have to agree.Very often use M25/m20.Tramlining is getting worse.I try now not to use inside lane.And hog middle lane.Much less dangerous.Though can be annoying for those that speed!.It has to be down to Council to get M/way sorted.A few complaints may do it As I have....
--
Steve
Its the Highways authority who control the repair of Mways I think? I wonder if an accident (or even a death) has ever been atributed to tram lines? I bet that would see them repaired overnight!!
\" Keep doing the same old thing, youll get the same old thing, try something different today!\"
Tram Lines on The M25/M20 M26 - Rishab C
Both mways and A roads are the responsibilty of the Highways Agency...
www.highways.gov.uk/

To report defects, add this to your favorites/bookmarks...
www.highways.gov.uk/tools/contacts/od.htm

and contact the relevant regional dept.