Diagnosing the source of smoke. Passat - Alec
I have a 2002 Passat PD130 with 90K miles. It is running fine and driving as it should in all respects except one.
As I pull away from a standstill there is a brief puff of blue smoke, just visible in the mirror. If this was a petrol car, as all my cars have been until this one, you would say it was classic valve-stem oil seals, but I know that the diesel inlet pressure does not work that way...
Anyway what I need to know is should I be budgeting for a replacement turbo or is there some other cause ?
I have done 3K miles since purchase and it has not used any measurable quantity of oil and is returning high 40's mpg.
Thanks.
Alec
Diagnosing the source of smoke. Passat - Altea Ego
Its a VW PD. They all do it. Check next time you are behind one that puts his foot down.
Diagnosing the source of smoke. Passat - Alec
Yes, I have seen black smoke from accelerating diesels but this looks blue ?
Diagnosing the source of smoke. Passat - bert-j
My 2001 Passat 130pdi produces a fair amount of smoke on accelerating; as has been stated they all do it. If you can be bothered, remove the large pipe that connects the turbo and the intercooler. You will find it very oily inside and cleaning it out may help a bit, but the inside of the intercooler will also have a fair amount of oil inside it. The smoke is nothing to worry about as long as the car has been regularly serviced, using the correct oil for pdi engines.