civic starting prob (urgent) - allan doc
my honda civic 1.5 wont start. it turns over but just wont catch on. i've listened for the fuel pump noise and that comes on. Anyone any ideas what it could be?
civic starting prob (urgent) - Peter D
Establish you have a spark, this could be an igntion amplifier, a coil problem or positional sensor failure. Regards Peter
civic starting prob (urgent) - allan doc
how do i check if i have a spark?
how do i check for a spark? - allan doc
how do i check for a spark?
how do i check for a spark? - weekendworrier
a) sensibly

Remove spark plug, replace plug lead use a pair of insulating pliers hold park plug body to cylinder head and ask someone to turn engine over. You should see a spark across the gap.

b) Not sensible at all.

Remove spark plug, replace lead ask your spouse to hold plug and touch engine. Turn engine over. If they say "ouch" and swear violently there was a spark.
how do i check for a spark? - Stuartli
But is it sensible to use this time honoured method with today's very high voltage ECU controlled engines?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
how do i check for a spark? - GrahamF1
Reminds me of 'club day' before the start of the cricket season, when we get the mowers started up and sort the field out.

Mower won't start, so I explain to the nipper who wants to have a go with the mower that we need to check for a spark. I pull the plug out and hand it to him, he asks "how do we check?" and I say "like this" and pull the starter. They don't half jump!
how do i check for a spark? - keo-the-dog
thats CRUEL funny though...cheers...keo.
spark but no ignition - allan doc
I've checked for a spark on my civic 1.5 and there is a spark. ive also checked the fuel cut off switch and everythings fine. anyone any ideas?
spark but no ignition - weekendworrier
Are the spark plugs wet with fuel when you take them out?

If not there's a fuel supply issue (you have checked there's fuel in haven't you ;-)). even if the pump is whirring it doesn't mean the fuel is getting to the cylinders.

To be honest if you've reached the limit of your mechanical knowledge your best bet is to get a professional to look at it - you could end up doing more harm than good if you just start trying stuff.
spark but no ignition - Peter D
Does the exhaust smell strongly of fuel when you are cranking. ? Regards Peter.
spark but no ignition - GrahamF1
If you have a spark and you have fuel, then it's a question of do you have them both at the right time?

Obviously it's electronic ignition controlled by an ECU, so you'd need main dealer equipment to check it. On an old car you could check and set it yourself in a few minutes!
spark but no ignition - jiwson
Does the starter spin ok but engine doesnt turn over ? Has it been intermittent, happening more and more often ? If so could be similar to what I had on my Civic 1.5LSi. Took it to a Bosch service centre and they fixed it in a day. Faulty control unit, 2hours labour + diagnostics, 225quid. You can locate Bosch service on the net, probably cheaper per hour than Honda. Can recommend a center if you are near E15. Good luck with this.