Selby rail crash Pt.2 - David W
Guy,

Possibly as worthy a topic for backroomers comment as we've seen. I bet loads of folks here know the pressures involved, as you and a couple more have posted.

Serious business with ten folks killed, loads injured and some involved issues about where responsibilities for any one persons actions might end.

Yet again the "harmless" LAS pulls the rug out from under the forum.

I have some serious points to make on the sleep/work/driving issue. Never mind, another time.

Feel free to delete this Martyn if you want to "tidy up" on this one.

David

Edited by Pugugly on 17/11/2009 at 18:49

Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Martyn, Back Room moderator
David W wrote:
>
> Guy,
>
> Possibly as worthy a topic for backroomers comment as we've
> seen

> Feel free to delete this Martyn if you want to "tidy up" on
> this one.
>
> David

On the contrary, David, I couldn't agree more. Sometimes CW's apparent lack of sensitivity -- lack of common sense -- beggars belief.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - David W
Thanks Martyn,

Perhaps best that we leave it at this comment of mine. I don't want to start a secondary "anti-LAS" thread that detracts from the original one.

I'm pleased to see the first one has taken off again and will post later when I get this Land Rover fuel pump sorted.

David
Legal perspective - Andy
If anyone saw the program on BBC1 at 22:35 last night...

I would be interested to know the legal perspective on the case, if DVD, Mark (Brazil) or anyone else can help.

I am sure that someone will have the correct figures, but if driver error is the cause of > 90% of all accidents, then is every culpable driver responsible for a fatal road crash going to be sent to prison for a considerable period of time, like Gary Hart?

Personally, I do not agree with his "thousand mile an hour life style" but, as many people testify, long working hours followed by long journeys are part of the modern working life. I think that this basically comes down to employers needing to appreciate that travel time is part of any working day and not an automatic add-on to the normal working day.

In the aftermarth of September 11, it was widely reported that Americans use airplanes as hop on, hop off internal transport. Thus, the security was relatively lax to speed up the whole check in and flight process. Never having visited America, I may not be the one to comment, but I wonder if we, in Britain, subconsciously, rely on the car in the way Americans relied on airplanes. Maybe, if our country was bigger, the high number of miles travelled by certain people would be deemed not possible and alternatives would be found. But, the Mondeo and Vectra culture is well and truly with us and, I suspect, even the example of Gary Hart will not live long enough in the memory to make any real change...

Yours

Andy
Re: Legal perspective - David W
I have taken the liberty of copying Andy's post to the first thread to keep it in the main discussion.

David
Re: Legal perspective - Andy Bairsto
After the verdicts in ,surely the MOT should also be to blame for not having a crash barrier that would have prevented this accident.You pay your taxes and at least expectsafe motorways.Imagine if it had been a coach or petrol tanker.
Maybe the driver was wrong but not 100%.
Re: Legal perspective - Brian
Andy
Another way to look at it is that the express drivers was going too fast to stop in the distance that he could see to be clear.
One rule for them, another rule for us?
BTW did you get my German tree query?
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Martyn, Back Room moderator
David has asked me to delete this thread of his, presumably because he doesn't want to dilute the thrust of the original thread which deals with this topic.

In fact, I disagree. I think that there's room for the two of them. Furthermore, I think there's a place for DW cross-posting Andy's 'legal perspective' message to the other thread too (though I don't encourage that sort of thing!). Anyway, I'm going to let this thread remain. Sorry, DW.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Honest John
I think Gary Hart lost all sympathy from the jury when they found out he had spent five hours on a phone call to a woman who wasn't his wife. It was a freak accident. But a freak accident that wouldn't have happened at all if the motorway had a proper crash barrier.

HJ
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Derek
John, I can't disagree with you, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that driving requires us to be alert.

Some years ago, on long business trips, I found a tendency to doze - homeward bound on Friday nights in the rain were the worst. I adopted the habit of making regular stops and even grabbing a short kip if necessary. As they say, I'd rather arrive late than be late............
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Ian Aspinall
I'm sure I read in one article that there was a crash barrier that extended something like 100 yards back along the motorway from the railway bridge, but he left the m'way at such a shallow angle that he missed the end of it and careered along the embankment behind it for that distance. Such a freak combination of circumstances is so unlikely to recur that I'm not convinced putting up more barriers would achieve anything.
You could argue that for some of us (not Gary Hart) speed limits and enforcement of them actually causes drowsiness. I used to make a regular journey of exactly 300 miles, and my best time was something like 3 hours 50 minutes. Not long to stay awake and of course I was alert because driving at those sort of speeds you tend to be. But if my observation of speed limits and everyone elses observation of them caused the driving part of the journey to extend to six hours or so of dreary monotony, a break would be necessary extending the journey even longer. Obviously if you're towing a Renault Savanna with an old Land Rover your speed is restricted anyway. But if the car drivers amongst us were allowed to go a bit faster, for most journeys within the UK the question of tiredness would not arise.

HJ
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Tom Shaw
The reason Gary Hart is going to prison is that, in the eyes of the Establishment, he is a nobody who will not be missed. Several train disasters which cost many more than 10 lives in recent years have been blamed directly on the negligence of those responsible for running the railways. No one has been jailed for their pre-meditated negligence in any of those cases. Gary Hart made a mistake which any of us could and probably have made in our driving carreers, fortunately without consequence. Putting him in jail will not do anyone any good whatsoever.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Mark (Brazil)
>>Gary Hart made a mistake which any of us could

Gary Hart has been found guilty. Therefore I assume that he deliberately drove while unfit to do so. It was not a mistake, it was an intentional act based on bad judgement.

Indeed any of us could do the same. We could also go and murder people with knives, but we don't. The fact that we could do this, does not mean that those who actually do so deserve leniency or sympathy.

Through recklessness he caused lives to be ruined and people to be maimed and killed.

There is no excuse.

There is no reason for leniency.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Tom Shaw
I have to disagree on this, Mark. Jails are to keep criminals out of society. The consequences of Gary Hart's mistake were terrible, but it was caused by an error of judgement as to whether he was fit to drive. I know from experience that falling asleep at the wheel is something that can happen without you even realising it. I was fortunate enough to have a passenger who was alert enough to grab the wheel and stick her elbow in my ribs. I shudder to think what might have happened otherwise.

Perhaps my experience is why I feel for him. I'll admit, however, if I were a relative of one of the victims my views might be different. A Liberal is only a Conservative who has never been mugged.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Simon Butterworth
I'm with Tom on this one.

Mr Hart was up late trying to make a relationship. The fact that he was cheating on his wife is neither here nor there, he could have been single. He could also have been kept awake by a newborn child, by a neighbours party, dog or whatever.

He then had to get to work, don't we all recognise that "had to", it means getting the next contract, it means maitaining your professional profile.

He fell asleep.

If he had been just a few yards differently placed on the road, if the barrier had been longer, if the ground he ran down had been softer or harder, if there had been a wall, if the GNER train had (or indeed had not for we do not know) been delayed by a passenger boarding late, if the coal train was early/late, if the points that fatally derailled the GNER train had not been there.

That is my worry, there are too many if's. Was the thousand to one outcome really linked to the "choice" to drive fatigued.

To me death by dangerous driving is what happens when you hack round blind bends at 60 and meet a pedestrian or cyclist. The link is apparent to the slack witted.

Here it was the conjunction of if to the power of x
> Mr Hart was up late trying to make a relationship.

Poor Mr. Hayes. Poor little Mr. Hayes. And the people on the train ? What did they do wrong and how should they understand that poor Mr. Hayes hurt, injured, maimed and killed them because he was trying to make a relationship ?

> The fact that he was cheating on his wife is neither here nor there,
> he could have been single. He could also have been kept awake
> by a newborn child, by a neighbours party, dog or whatever.

On this we agree. I don't care what he was doing. He was unfit to drive and probably knew it. He drove, recklessly, whilst unfit to do so. He was quite happy to take the risk. A risk is exactly that, it is a bet that something wopn't happen - in this case, it did.

> He then had to get to work, don't we all recognise that "had
> to", it means getting the next contract, it means maitaining
> your professional profile.

Oh I recognise it. I've even done it. That makes me just as stupid, reckless, negligent and pathetic as Mr Hayes, just slightly luckier.

> To me death by dangerous driving is what happens when you
> hack round blind bends at 60 and meet a pedestrian or
> cyclist.

You mean to do something reckless and stupid even knowing there could be horrible results ? I agree. And the different between that and driving whilst unfit would be what exactly ?

He was an idiot who recklessly endangered the lives of others and subsequently killed them. And none of you will ever convince me otherwise than that he should be punished to the hilt.

>The link is apparent to the slack witted.

And the link between falling asleep and accidents is somewhat more obtuse ?

Everybody should take personal responsibility for what they do. If you screw up, especially recklessly, then suffer, and please, suffer a lot.

I used to have a nephew.

Mark.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Simon Butterworth
Mark (Brazil) wrote:

> I used to have a nephew.

Mark,

I am sorry if my post in any way intruded on your personal experience, either with this asleep at the wheel incident or another.

Much of what you say I agree with, the man was probably stupid to set out and more stupid to continue.

I am just left thinking that if he had killed a workman on the hard shoulder, or a cyclist on the non motorway section of the journey, he would not now face jail. Yet that is a consequence far more easily forseen than what actually happened.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - pugugly
I am given to understand that there is a £50m Insurance tab to be picked up from the Selby train crash. The Insurance company concerned picks up the first portion and then, I understand, the rest of the cost is met from "spread" insurance (in Germany). It may be of some re-assurance to some voices in this thread that this Court case is but the start, Civil cases will plod on for years and the barrier design will probably be brought into question at some stage. What can be certain our premiums will be impacted as money is clawed back from the punters. I won't comment on the case as I only know what I have read in the papers and heard on the radio - but what I will suggest (note: suggest) is that the Crown's case revolved around the sleep issue and that this was probably their basis for the reckless element (i.e. the driver was reckless in not resting before the accident ).

I tend to agree with the views of the anti-prison brigade here. Don't know the current per week cost of keeping a guy (or gal) in a cell but guess somewhere in the region of 2k plus. Would it not be better in harnessing this guy's skills for the sake of the community ? I agree with Mark (B) here, what are Prisons for ? - we lock up more kids than any other Western Country and believe me that is an upward trend !
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Tomo
Get vindictive, some of us.
Tom Shaw wrote:
>

Tom, I appreciate your opinion, but whilst I think we'll never agree, I can't avoid a final couple of points.

> I have to disagree on this, Mark. Jails are to keep criminals
> out of society.

If you refer to the other thread, one of my points was that socienty doesn't actually know what jails are for.

1) Removal
2) Restribution
3) Punishment
4) Rehabilitation
5) Deterrent

As a society, everything would be easier if we all understood those differences, even if we didn't agree on the answer. However, society, the people within it, and the law have no real coherent clue what we are trying to do with jail terms.

> but it was caused by an error of judgement as to
> whether he was fit to drive.

I disagree, which is dangerous since i am not him and am trying to satte what I think he thought - if you follow me.

If the situation was - I have really thought about my condition and the ramifications and implications, and I believe I am safe to drive, then maybe you have a point. However, that would make him a special man and I doubt it.

More likely was a thought process which terminated with something along the lines of "oh, I'll be alright", "It´ll never happen to me" or "I'll pay attention" then he was reckless.

Even more likely is the fact that he didn't think about it at all.

At least in the event of the more likely second two, you or I might think about it and that might just prevent something nasty.

M.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - careful driver
dont agree with you

it is outrageous that the people employed by or for the establishment never take their share of the blame

for instance people responsible for the barriers here should be in court no question...

also this verdict doesnt seem at all fair when i know of several old dears who have killed motorcyclists by pulling out of a side road into them, on the whole

i) they are not locked up
ii) they are not banned

in my view the system is wrong here

several people have been killed by police drivers this year, none of those coppers have been locked up
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Andrew T
Sorry, HJ - I hesitate to say 'b*ll*x' - I can't accept that speed is to be advised as a means to keep non-alert drivers alert. I concede that it might work for a few, but I would be happier to err on the side of safety.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Clive
It's the jury that found him guilty not the establishment. If someone causes an accident because they're drunk or driving after an excessive number of hours without sleep you can't just ignore it because that encourages it to happen again. The difference between Gary Hart and Railtrack is that you can pinpoint that he is directly responsible for the accident whereas with Railtrack you could argue it's the directors fault or is it the engineers or other rail workers? I'm sure the government would have liked to prosecute Railtrack but realised it wasn't possible at present which is why the likes of John Prescott have been calling for the introduction of some sort of corporate manslaughter charge.
yea but its the establishment that has chosen not to put the engineer in charge of the barrier design in court for a jury to decide...
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - richard turpin
Mark (Brazil)
The reason Gary Hart should not be punished for killing 10 people is simply that he did not intend it. In other words it was a mistake. We have all made mistakes. I have dozed off at the wheel before now. So have you. I suspect he will get 12 months. That will mark the seriousness, and warn the rest of us. Remember, the law is that you are supposed to be punished for what you do, not for the consequences. If it were otherwise the little old lady who trips up on an uneven paving stone and tragically dies should result in the imprisonment for life of all the councillors responsible for the state of the pavement.
the real tragedy is that the idiots in charge of the road design, who let a the road go over a rail line with inadequate barriers are not in court...

in my view they should be in court for serious offences, sadly people can design black spots as a career and as long as they sweet talk the local councils they can continue for ever, they are never brought to check
You may be a careful driver, but you are certainly able to rant at almost any anonymous individual that comes into your head. Are you really so perfect?
never said i was perfect
A man drunk out of his skull driving at twice the speed limit doesn't actually *intend* to kill anyone.

Kind of a bummer that it keeps happening though.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Brian
Andrew t
i am sure that HJ was not arguing for speed at the expense of safety.
What he was saying was that concentrating fully for three hours is better than dozing off in the fifth hour at a lower speed.
So the theory is that by driving faster, long journeys can be completed before tiredness sets in? This argument is simplistic, specious and self-centred.

Simplistic because a given journey will demand a given amount of concentration, which may be more reliably applied at a less frantic rate. Who wants to be an air-traffic controller at Heathrow?

Specious because it ignores that at higher speeds drivers are less able to cope with unforeseen problems such as blowouts or other external events, and that the consequences of an accident will be more drastic.

Self-centred because it ignores the compromise established by society - between drivers wishing to indulge themselves and non-drivers wishing to lead normal undisturbed lives - in the shape of speed limits. It is inconvenient that almost every car on the road can easily exceed these limits, but it is simply selfish for drivers to plan their lives with the intention of flouting these compromises.

So, HJ, I apologise for offending you by writing 'b*ll*x' and confine myself to 'c*bbl*rs'.
Brian is right. Andre T could have refrained from using the expression "b*ll*x" or whatever. This was totally unnecessary.

HJ
Andrew t
What HJ and I are saying is that speed limits are arbitary, not safe speeds.
Most accidents happen when the vehicles are travelling at less than the posted limit.
We need to get away from the 29 mph = safe, 31 mph = unsafe syndrome.
This is principally a Government spin exercise, going back to the bypass cancellations of 1997. They were trying to persuade people that they were promoting safety whilst spending nothing, their solution at that time being to continue to route traffic through towns and villages, but at a lower speed.

The proper answer is well-designed modern roads and segregation of different types of road user i.e. pedestrians, cyclists and vehicles.

29 mph is only safe if circumstances permit it. 31 mph (or 40, 60, 70 or 100) is only unsafe if circumstances are against it.
I would estimate that I only reach even the posted limit for five percent of my time on the road, but see no reason for an arbitary limit when circumstances do not require it (although I DO tend to respect those limits). BUT to come back to the point of the thread, if it is safe, a higher speed does maintain alertness and reduce the tendency to dose off at the wheel.
>>a higher speed does maintain alertness and reduce the tendency to dose off at the wheel.

What ?? How do you work that out ?

Driving down a quiet, night-time motorway at 70mph or 90mph is going to feel exactly the same.

With more risk bacause of the distance travelled in a moment of inattention.

Unless, of course, you are talking about hacking around country lanes. And even then, I would guess its less likely to fall asleep whatever speed you are doing.
Brian - I agree wholeheartedly that speed limits are arbitrary, and you will see that I made no reference to any particular speed. But whatever the arbitrary speed is, it deserves more respect than every motorist just deciding for himself whether it is a daft one. And whatever it is, it remains true that the consequences of an 'accident' will be worse at a higher speed. You could argue for higher limits because cars are inherently safer than they were, but that implies that we prefer to drive faster and live with the consequences rather than keep the same limits and enjoy safer driving.

This is some way from the question of keeping awake by driving fast. I can see the train of thought, but I can also see that it is a fallacy.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - ChrisR
>BUT to come back to the point of the thread, if it is safe, a higher speed does >maintain alertness and reduce the tendency to dose off at the wheel.

1. Higher speeds demand higher levels of concentration, which is more tiring. And you have to go MUCH faster for long periods to reduce your journey time significantly. For example, Virgin West Coast is introducing tilting trains which can travel (where safe and appropriate) at 140mph. Unfortunately the track is only good for 125mph top speed. According to Virgin this means the journey time between Glasgow and London will be fifteen minutes longer than it could be. Big deal.

2. The consequences of nodding off at ninety are much worse than nodding off at sixty (for example). And here is the latest news: we don't yet have teleportation. Until we do it will take time to get places. Driving is work. It's tiring. Get used to it.

Chris
Chris
It is precisely the higher level of concentration required which avoids the inattention. It works for me, maybe it doesn't for you.
I'm not talking about saving time, but about adopting a driving style which gets one from A to B safely.

Remember when you first passed your test? Every journey was an adventure, every move, every gearchange etc., planned and rechecked three or four times. That got you there safely. 100% of your concentration was being used on the one task.

Over half a million miles and thirty years down the road so much more has become habit. You automatically check your mirror, you change gear without thinking any more about it than you do breathing. The percentage of your brain being devoted to the mechanics of driving reduces dramatically. Your brain becomes bored and, in the absence of other stimulation, you may become drowsy.

I am still with HJ on this one and would find it safer to do a 300 mile journey at my own speed, which may be be more or less than the posted limit to suit the conditions, than at an artificially imposed speed.
However, I don't do so, which I consider makes me less safe than I might be.
hj is right, and the conclusion is similar to research on fighter pilots

people are funny things, and often counter-intuative, which is why bad traffic law and management based on dogma is so bad

oh and i wouldnt trust virgin trains to calculate my change in the buffet car...

read a bit of medical reearch on how humans react in various scenarios you would be surprised
How do I get the impression that most of the human race is out of step with the Careful Driver ?
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Bill D
Guess which kind of pilots have the "pilot error" accidents. According to a documentary I once saw it wasn't the rookies - it was the old hands on "autopilot"!
The trick is to drive fast but with a good safety margin.
As for arbitary limits. If we were to go metric and adopt kilometers on the roads, you would find that, for example, 70 mph which people mindlessly accept as being the fastest "safe" speed, would not be converted exactly to 113 kph, but would be set at 110 or 120 kph, probably the latter to correspond to Continental practice.
So the official "Go over 70 and you're dead" line would have to change overnight.
even if the limit was dropped to 110 kph, how would they explain that for forty years they had let traffic go at a higher speed which they now claim is unsafe.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Bill D
Chief Constables get caught for speeding, but not for having accidents.
Ministers get caught out in speeding cars, but don't have accidents.
Millions of drivers get fines and points for speeding, but only 3% of accidents, and only 0.3% of pedestrian accidents are caused by speeding.
Oh, yes, a 60mph crash is twice as dangerous as a 30mph crash.
But a 30mph crash is infinitely more dangerous than driving safely at 60mph on a road and conditions safe for 60 plus.
If most of the human race is out of step with the Careful Driver, how do I get the impression that most of the human race is out of step with reality?
Bill said:
"Chief Constables get caught for speeding, but not for having accidents."

Other than the C C of Norfolk who broke his ankle in a prang and is now being prosecuted by his deputy !
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Pugugly
Have a read of this - interesting to see how the Backroom has evolved.

Edited by Pugugly on 17/11/2009 at 18:50

Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Armitage Shanks {p}
The only names I recognise are Pugugly and HJ, who are still around and Tomo and Mark(Brazil) who have apparentlyleft. I think was Mark Capetown for a while
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - ifithelps
Andrew T is still a regular poster.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Dynamic Dave
Andrew T is still a regular poster.

As are David W & Tom Shaw, but both have different handles these days, as I suspect a few others from this thread.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Robin Reliant
That Tom Shaw fellow was a valued and much respected contributor.

I wonder what happened to him? ;-)

Clashed with DD's post!

Edited by Robin Reliant on 17/11/2009 at 19:25

Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Bromptonaut
One user agreed with Mr Shaw and pointed out how many holes in the cheese had to line up for Hart's stupidity to result in deaths on the railway.

I'm still here as well.
My contributions were a bit more lucid in those days.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - M.M
I did a double take to see my username of 8yrs ago at the top of the front page again.

Not sure it is an extreme example of how the backroom has evolved... for that you need to find topics like perpetual motion, Ladas, burning tar barrels and even the afternoon of 9/11.

But what on earth did you have to edit from my post of 2001 PU??

M.M = David W

Edited by M.M on 17/11/2009 at 20:47

Just removed the "Re:" that's all !
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - PhilW
Didn't Mark(Brazil) evolve into Mark RLBS (Royal Leamingon B****y Spa) and then something else? Think he contributed until relatively recently and was a mod for quite a while??
By the way David W/M.M., what happened to your website which had all sorts of good info on Cits and Land Rovers etc?
Phil
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Robin Reliant
M.M = David W

Bloomin 'eck David, I wondered where you got to!
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Andrew-T
My contributions were a bit more lucid in those days.

Mine too I think, PU. Must be advancing years ... But Removed the 'Re:' - haven't you something better to do? :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 17/11/2009 at 23:15

haven't you something better to do? :-)

Stuff like that is the final frontier of anulism in my life these days -you have to admit it looks better.
Still here from time to time Robin R. Usually when I have a question then I hang about for a week or two before drifting off for another few months.

Phil... life has shifted a huge amount since the old days. I have stopped doing all the car support stuff... both in its physical and virtual form. Cars have become merely a money consuming tool to support family life now.... I do still very much enjoy driving though.

Early teens girls keep us flat out but when we get our lives back... in perhaps 10yrs... hope to have the excuse for another Series II LR, another John Deere and maybe another DS.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Brentus
Years ago i worked in a job that involved working unsociable hours. The job mainly in summer involved working long hours as well. For safety reasons it had to be a two man job. Driving could involve a journey time of maybe one hour each way, plus the time carried out to do the job.

I will never forget this one shift we did. It had been a long day. Whenever we set off to come back to base after a shift we always asked each other ''how do you feel''. Nearly always it was the early hours of the morning when we travelled. This one particular day i volunteered to drive i felt fresh as a daisy. 20 minutes into the drive back to base on an empty motorway (not far actually from the Selby train crash site) my colleauge woke me shouting, in a flash i had just nodded off. I swear that i felt absoulutely fine beforehand. What i learned from this issue was a number of things. Mainly the long day, the hours worked, i was considerably younger than i am today, you need more sleep when your younger. Most importantly it does catch up on you. I will also add we used to drive very carefully.

Before retiring from construction in 2000 i must have travelled the length and breadth of this country many many times. Today with speed enforcement , safety camera partnerships etc call them what you want revenue generators. I am probably more qualified than most, simply by the fact the many miles i have driven to say the following.

I totally agree with HJ. He is correct if the crash barrier had been in place the Selby disaster would not have happened, and that is fact proven. Secondly HJ is correct about the speed at which you drive can induce tiredness. The answer here is to take a rest. Prior to speed enforcement as it is today, i would regulary do runs up to scotland 4 hours non stop, today this journey takes considerably longer , due to congestion, speed enforcement. Driving long distances at reduced speeed induces tiredness through boredom. Driving faster keeps you alert and hence you don't get bored. Well said HJ.

...I totally agree with HJ. He is correct if the crash barrier had been in place the Selby disaster would not have happened, and that is fact proven....

Talk about avoiding responsibility for your own actions.

Are we to expect the authorities to install hundreds of yards of crash barrier both sides of every railway bridge in the country in case some clown falls asleep at the wheel?

And what about bridges not over railways? Or stretches of road bordered by houses, factories or schools?

Hart was the only person responsible for the crash.

He refused to accept that responsibilty, so the jury, quite rightly, forced him to do so.

Edited by ifithelps on 18/11/2009 at 11:47

He must be out by now - wonder what he's up to.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - old crocks
Here's a link to him being out in 2007

www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article18614.ece
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - old crocks
Released in 2004

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1466806/Selby-crash-drive...l
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - dieseldogg
Ok So its lunchtime
and i'm bored.
First
There is the need to disconnect the cause of the accident from the outcome.
Hence Mr Hart was/ is not as black as he was painted, he was simply very very "unlucky" this as a "freak" outcome from a COMMON practice, ie driving whilst tired.
Second
25 years ago when I was motoring up & down the motorways with the TA
Driving overnight WAS routine
Guarenteed to fall alseep at the proscribed 50mph motorway speeds in convoy
NO brain function was required
But could and did stay awake by "messing about" by illicyly overtaking etc etc
But strangly enouigh I COULD NOt sleep whilst in the passenger seat
cos I KNEW that other sod was dead tired too
& would most likely crash
Unless I watched him
Third
Erm
I have forgotten
Oh Yes
HJ's comment about speed keeping one awake
like the Parsons egg
good in parts
BUT what speed would one need to maintain
On an empty motorway
Plus one would simply extend the envelope
Until one was so tired that one could fall asleep at 90mph/ or 100 or 120
Erm
Not really related but our son has recently lost two school friends
seperate accidents
no others involved
"pink fluffy dice happens"
Is all I could say

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/11/2009 at 13:58

Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - maz64
Hence Mr Hart was/ is not as black as he was painted he was simply
very very "unlucky" this as a "freak" outcome from a COMMON practice ie driving whilst
tired.

Driving while tired might be common practice, but I'm not sure many would risk it after only 2 hours sleep (which he admitted to according to the Sun report).
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - jbif
;-)
Looks like Pugugly has opened up an old can of worms.
:-0

Edited by jbif on 18/11/2009 at 13:32

Oh well, it's worth re-visiting I think.
Tother point I intended to make
was that Motorway driving induces a lack of concentration / zombie like state
simply by its nature
In my latter days in the TA someone had finally realized that is was stupid to drive overnight after a days physical exertion
so "enforced rest" was brought in
I did not find it made any difference
The lullaby of offroad tyres on the blacktop was remarkably soporific
Plus anyway more recently
Tired on the Mway pull into services------& feel as fresh as a daisy
walk around, get a coffee, try to sleep/doze even ( in the car park)
get back in and minutes later
dozing off again
Ditto for the main road back from Belfast
Driven it this years
generally 50ish is the limit it might as well be a railway for the lack of overtaking opportunities
Despite a full week of nights sleep prior
I have found it difficult to maintain concentration when driving home after a day out
This at perhaps 21.00 hrs
Oh did I mention that i have not been involved in an "at fault" accident this 30 years
lest anyone thinks I am a driving disaster
Been rear ended thought at a roundabout & while waiting to turn right
and also by rubberneckers at the scene of an accident on the other carrigeway
this when I had to stop behind an ambulance, attempting to access the accident.
Yep 90plus % of accidents are "driver error"
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - Andrew-T
Motorway driving induces a lack of concentration / zombie like state

Absolutely. Of course there are many journeys where motorways cannot be sensibly avoided, either because of urgency or lack of viable alternatives. But several times a year I travel from north Cheshire to Aylesbury, which can be pleasantly done without setting tyre on M-way - if you are happy to get there in 4 hours instead of 3.

I avoid motorways if possible: boring, leading to the effects described in this thread, and dangerous in very wet conditions.
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - bristol01
I drove from Richmond, N. Yorks to Bristol late last Sunday - A Road or motorway nearly all the way. Did it non stop in the end as I felt fine, and arrived at 1.30am. The roads were very quiet indeed and I imagine that it would be easy to nod off in those conditions.

Interesting reading the old posts here. I can't really agree with HJ's views about speed relating to how likely it is that you'd fall asleep. However, I was thinking on the way down that it'd be great to have variable speed limits (say 90 or 100 during very quiet periods) so that long, tedious journeys could be completed more quickly. Mind you, you'd still get stymied by the roadwork-imposed 50 limits that seemed to crop up very frequently en route, especially on the M1 in the Derbyshire area!
Re: Selby rail crash Pt.2 - 1400ted
Would't risk tiredness now I'm older.
Did a Knutsford services to Brighton with a Ferrari, ( on a trailer in those days ) having taken it over from our Perth agent. Got to Brighton about 2am and didn't even get asked in for a coffee ' My dogs wouldn't like it ' !....what do you do, nowhere open, sleep in the cab on the way back for an hour or so. Wealthy but mean !
Took an elderly couple with an Estelle from Manchester to Margate......got a night in the spare room and a full English.
Note the difference ! Tiredness is the silent killer.

Ted
Are we to expect the authorities to install hundreds of yards of crash barrier both sides of every railway bridge in case some clown falls asleep at the wheel>>.

YES:- The British motorist contributes more than £50billion a year to the treasury, very little of that money is put back into road building or installing crash barriers at road crossings, bridges etc.

In the case at Selby many people lost their life due to them not in place. If my memory serves me correctly, the subsequent inquiry stated that this must be done.

No doubt Hart was responsible for the crash, had the barriers been in place there would have been no loss of life.

So i will still stand by the fact presented by HJ is correct.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/11/2009 at 12:51

...had the barriers been in place there would have been no loss of life....

So when the next unfit driver - which Hart was - mounts a pavement and kills a pedestrian, we should blame the local council for not installing a barrier, should we?

...Had the barriers been in place there would have been no loss of life..

Unfortunately yes in this instance had barriers been in place this would not have happened. The subsequent enquiry pointed this out.
..So when the next unfit driver-which Hart was-mounts a pavement and kills a pedestrian, we should blame the local council for not installing a barrier should we..

Depends on the risk. Local councils will continually carry out risk assesments to ascertain whether such would be required. Many pedestrians are killed by motorists. But does not automatically mean a crash barrier is required. For instance the driver may for instance had a heart attack at the wheel, who could have forseen that. I think we have to exercise a bit of discretion as to where barriers are placed. However saying that a motorway with traffic travelling much faster, with a greater threat of causing injury or death. For this reason that is why the enquiry said barriers had to installed.
Drove back from Blackpool to Peterborough Sunday evening so used the same stretch of M62. By 9pm the traffic was light and there was little to keep you stimulated on the motorway. Biggest issue we noticed though was the lack of clear white lines/cats eyes on parts of the older A1. The difference between new or resurfaced sections and the old road surface was striking in terms of how far ahead the road showed up on dip.

Edited by M.M on 19/11/2009 at 11:04

Sadly - I've noticed that tiredness creeps up more quickly when driving these days (being 50) I am as fit as a fiddle and have a reasonable level of physical fitness and stamina. In the heady days when I would work twenty hours at a stretch and drive home in the early hours of the morning - including making progress at those times (I have a story about a funny incident with a Police T5 one very early morning...). I feel that we age quicker than we realize. A couple of years ago I rode up to North Wales from Brugges (in bad weather) - I made a potentially serious mistake at one point with 40 miles still to run - foolishly I carried on, the weather got really bad in that 40 miles - I got to where I was going safely but no thanks to my own risk taking...1- times worse on a bike when tired, but at least the signs kick in sooner.