Alfa Romeo Rust Warranty - Alfa Tom
Hi there,

This is my first post and i'm just after a bit of advice really. I own an Alfa 147 03 reg bought new from a main dealer. Just before it's first service, I noticed a fair amount of rust on the exhaust silencer. I pointed this out when I took the car in and the garage told me that this would not be covered by the anti perforation warranty as the exhaust 'still worked'.

It's now due for it's second service and the rust is worse than ever. Admittedly there are no obvious holes and the unit appears solid but clearly, at some point in the not too distant future, but presumably after the warranty has expired, it will need replacing.

I feel that the unit clearly was not properly treated prior to use and therefore, while the silencer itself may be 'fit for the purpose' the anti rust coating is not.

Alfa customer service themselves told me it's highly unlikely that I will be able to get anythign done so I'm not hopeful but i don;t really want to shell out on a new silencer.

Any thoughts?
Alfa Romeo Rust Warranty - Stuartli
I'm awaiting the stream of Alfa Romeo and rust jokes (which have not been relevant for many years)...:-)

I would sugguest that the rust warranty only applies to the bodywork and not components attached to it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Alfa Romeo Rust Warranty - Dynamic Dave
I would sugguest that the rust warranty only applies to the
bodywork and not components attached to it.

Yep, I tend to agree.
Alfa Romeo Rust Warranty - Altea Ego
Exhaust components rust. Its a fact of life and they have a limited life, are not covered by any corrosion warranty. Having said that it wont rust from the ouside in it will rust from the inside out. It will last longer than you think with external corrosion.

As long as its not perforated Alfa (or any other car company) will not replace it FoC
Alfa Romeo Rust Warranty - BazzaBear {P}
I'd agree with all the above. All the rust warrantees I've ever seen have referred to bodywork, and little else.
Incidentally, catalysts have accelerated the rusting of exhausts on new cars, as they introduce a lot of moisture into the exhaust system. The cat itself is usually stainless steel, so it's fine, but the rest of the system, being mild steel, suffers.
Alfa Romeo Rust Warranty - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Obsession with rusty appearance of silencers is as unhealty as wanting to polish the engine compartment.
On most cars you'd have to lay on the pavement to see them. On my VW you can't even see the tail pipe unless you crouch down.
Ooh my back.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Alfa Romeo Rust Warranty - Stuartli
You must be exhausted.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Alfa Romeo Rust Warranty - blue_haddock
Exhaust is generally classed as a wear and tear item so it will not be covered by the warranty.