A very light sentence... - GrahamF1
Story in my local rag yesterday:

Lorry driver who turned his vehicle over on a bend whilst speeding, crushed a car coming the other way and killed the old chap driving it.

He already had nine points for speeding offences, and the investigation into this crash found that he'd tampered with the limiter.

He got 3 points and therefore a 28-day ban under the totting-up procedure.

Any ideas why the sentence was so light?
A very light sentence... - Pugugly {P}
Any fine ?
A very light sentence... - GrahamF1
Article didn't mention a fine as far as I can recall. I didn't bring the paper to work so I can't check for sure.
A very light sentence... - smokie
Seems like for whatever reason they didn't prosecute death by careless driving, or whatever the harsher crime is called.

Maybe we don't know all the circumstances...?
A very light sentence... - jiwson
Just guessing - he probably pleaded exceptional hardship (loss of job) thereby reducing length of his ban. Also the offence probably committed before the new tougher legislation re causing death by careless driving came into force.
A very light sentence... - jeds
Judges don't like to waste too much time dealing with one off cases like this when there are lots and lots of fines and points to be given to innocent drivers doing 3 mph over the limit.
A very light sentence... - machika
Notwithstanding any fine, the report is difficult to believe. The allocation of points was for what, speeding, or killing the other driver? Many people, in similar circumstances, could plead hardship from loss of job.