bodywork rust - corkball
my vw vento has numerous chips in the body work which are rusty,i have in the past cleaned them up applied undercoat and topcoat but eventually the rust shows through again,any ideas/tips to overcome this problem thanks
CORKBALL
bodywork rust - Oz
(Firstly I assume the metal is rusting from outside, not inside the panel! If the latter, you have a bigger problem.)
First you need to remove by physical and/or chemical means all traces of rust from the metal. Also remove any loose or flaking paint around the spot (anything which you can pick off with your fingernail has got to go).
You should finish up with an area of clean metal surrounded by perfectly adhering paint. Sand the edges of the latter to a feather edge.
Then apply a full coat of a decent anti-corrosion primer (per any instructions on the tin). When dry (again, as per instructions on drying time), finally topcoat with colour coat(s). There is no reason why rust should re-appear through such a coating system.
Oz (as was)
bodywork rust - mfarrow
(Firstly I assume the metal is rusting from outside, not inside
the panel! If the latter, you have a bigger problem.)

My mum had a mini which had rust bubbles coming through the roof. It was caused by condensation on the ceiling!
bodywork rust - artful dodger {P}
Are you talking about the car roof, garage ceiling or sky?
bodywork rust - Pugugly {P}
SWMBO had a Mini van when we met. It had an Artexed "ceiling" (Art student previous owner).
bodywork rust - mfarrow
Are you talking about the car roof, garage ceiling or sky?

I'm trying to distinguish between the roof (what you see from the outside) and the underside of the roof (what you see from the inside). I'd imagined it would be called a ceiling, am I wrong?
bodywork rust - trancer
"I'd imagined it would be called a ceiling, am I wrong?"

No, just different, most people would call that the headliner when referring to cars. Unless it was the bare sheetmetal then I would would just call that the roof whether viewed from the inside or out.
bodywork rust - corkball
hi oz thanks for the advice i have not used an anti-corrosion primer in the past lets hope it does the job
corkball
ps the rust is from the outside
bodywork rust - adverse camber
if its small dots / scratches I find that a cocktail stick or spliting a matchstick gives a good applicator. the brushes in the touch up things are way too big
bodywork rust - doctorchris
I think you should scrape or sand off any visible rust then apply a rust converter (usually a brown liquid) leaving it for 24 hours in which time any remaining crrosion turns black. Then paint with anti rust primer followed by top coat.
bodywork rust - lordwoody
I've had two occasions when I've taken a car with a minor rust problem to 2 different ( and reputable) independent bodyshops and they've both said that a repair of a rusty area is impossible to guarantee against further outbreaks. Not sure if this is just to cover themslves or if it's factually true( ie once rust breaks out it's impossible to eradicate)
bodywork rust - Hugo {P}
Rust is an electrolitic process, so technically, once you've removed the existing rust and removed the conditions for it to re appear, the problem should be gone for good.

How practical that is in many situations is another matter though.

I know because I hate to admit here that I've been advised to sell the discovery as the chap who has just done the welding for the MOT has told me that I should not have the car this time next year.

Hugo