stick it up - colin shawcross
Any ideas about how to re - stick the interior mirror in my son's Fiesta. It fell off in the hot weather this summer and now won't stay attached. Apparently super glue is a non starter, it damages the glass and the mirror won't break off in an accident situation, making it dangerous. Autoglass's sticky pads lasted about three days.
Colin Shawcross.
Re: stick it up - ian (cape town)
colin, you can actually get a special glue specifically for fixing these things on.
Try one of those high-street motoring shops, or if you don't foresee having to do this too often, ask your friendly local autoglass supplier, who should do it for you for a few bob and a pint!
Re: stick it up - Dave
colin shawcross wrote:

Autoglass's
> sticky pads lasted about three days.

Halfords Stick pads work a treat, but you have to do the preparation work they suggest.

I bet you're not doing it!
Re: stick it up - Dan J
Don't do what I did with my Maestro and get increasingly frustrated with the thing keep dropping off, regardless of glue/sticky pads etc etc and press it on so hard you end up cracking the windscreen - Either I didn't know my own strength or they make the screens easily breakable from the inside!

The mirror never fell off the replacement windscreen so I'd suggest ingoring all these silly pads you can buy from petrol stations etc which have doubtlessly sat on the shelves for months drying out and purchase one from your local car windscreen replacers.
Re: stick it up - John
I always use meths. to clean the screen and back of the mirror. No problem then
Re: stick it up - sam
one trick is that the pads become much more sticky when warm, and so warming them and the area up with a hairdryer for a while before pushing them together seems to make them work much better...
Re: stick it up - Rodders
Can't swear to it but I thought I saw some tube of glue in Halfords the other day labelled especially for this application.
Rodders
Re: stick it up - John Davis
This has to be quite a strong bond and, in the past, for this job and for those glass "blocks" bonded to the early sliding windows (was it Mini's) I have used the special, light curing adhesive. Locktite make one called "Glassbond" and it "cures" when exposed to sunlight. It has always worked for me
Re: stick it up - Rich L
The mirror fell off on my mk3 Cavalier a few months back - I tried two different types of mirror pads, some special Mirror Adhesive, and Supaglue - none of which worked.
Eventually I mixed up a blob of Araldite and this has held it on ever since.
Re: stick it up - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Colin,

Cleaning thoroughly is essential, as is a bit of warmth. As far as the pads themselves go, pay a visit to your local Porsche dealer - their's are the business. While the parts person is finding your pad you can have a good nose around the showroom and pretend you own one !!

Regards, Adam
Re: stick it up - KB
Loctite Glassbond. £2 for a 3 ml tube. Distributed by Henkel - Tel 01707 358850
Re: stick it up - ladas are slow
this thread sounds a bit like the rude 1970's films ;-)
Re: stick it up - OldGolfer
I used Loctite Glassbond some years ago. No problem fixing interior mirrors, and it was also used to re-bond the metal hinges directly to glass for the rear opening windows on a Mk1 Renault 5. Make sure surfaces are clean.
Re: stick it up - Charles
Colin

This is what you have to do:

1. Do the job when there's minimal condensation inside the car and its fairly warm (hard at the moment unless you've got a garage)
2. Obtain a Ford mirror pad (I've found they work best) Part Finis code: 1568648 Price: 24p inc VAT.
3. Clean dark patch on the windscreen, removing all traces of the old pad carefully and degrease using brake cleaner.
4. Clean mirror fixing as above.
5. Carefully peel black side only of the mirror pad and stick to the mirror.
6. Peel off green side and fix mirror to windscreen and hold firmly in position for 2 minutes or so.
7. Try to leave overnight before moving the mirror.

Hope this helps

Charles
Re: stick it up - T.r.y mybest
go to your local ford dealer and buy a proper ford mirror pad cost you about 20p
Re: stick it up - Amol
I tried using Glassbond from Loctite and it didnt work. Then tried a special purpuse made adhesive from Halfords (with the wire mesh) and it didnt work either. Called BMW and they say the windscreen must be replaced.

Anyone have any ideas? I cant go spend 6-700 quid for something as silly as this.

T.r.y mybest wrote:
>
> go to your local ford dealer and buy a proper ford mirror pad
> cost you about 20p