Old wipers---new wipers - Tony Bee
Once upon a time I was taught how to stop wipers making that vile scraunching noise on the windscreen.
Grab 'em where the arm meets the blade and give 'em a twist--direction depending on scrauch on the up or on the downstroke. dead simple.

However more and more cars have these fancy pants solid rubber blade things without the mass of wobbling bits of bent metal. grabbing them by the whatsits and squeezing does not have the desired effect.

Please what am I doing wrong ? the scraunching on anything but a very wet screen is driving me bonkers.
Thanks in advance.
Old wipers---new wipers - Civic8
Cant say I have ever used that method..But do find the cheap and nasty blades do cause grief..These multi blade wiper blades are not as cracked up to be..I would say Bosch are one of the best. And I use them without a prob untill they wear out..Usualy give about 2yrs wear before replacement..depending on usage.Just my thoughts.
--
Steve
Old wipers---new wipers - Marc
Cheaply made, flimsy wipers will screech and judder. In my personal experience - Halfords brand are the main culprit in this respect.

Always try and buy Bosch, I have for years and they glide across the screen, until they need changing.

BTW you should always wipe the blade clean when you wash the car to stop the build up of dirt
Old wipers---new wipers - Cliff Pope
I agree Bosch are best.
Remedies I have tried have included Meths on a rag, Windolene, Wax hot wash, half a freshly-cut potato, Fairy Liquid, rubber lubricant, tightening the spring tension, loosening the spring tension.
All are useless in curing a persistent squeal. I even wondered whether a high-mileage windcreen could actually wear out in some mysterious way.
Old wipers---new wipers - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My Passat has got the fancy one piece rubbery Bosch blade and they are still prone to juddering.
I found that carefully twisting the actual wiper arm with an adjustable spanner improved things overall.
However juddering smearing etc. recurs whenever wax, road muck etc builds up.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.