Poll 28. When do you change your car? - Dynamic Dave
**** Poll now closed. Results here:- **** www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=29273&...e This weeks poll is now available:-

Poll 28. When do you change your car?
When I get bored with the current one
Every time I can afford to
Always at a particular age (e.g. every time the car is 3 years old)
When the existing one breaks

Poll 28. When do you change your car? - Ex-Moderator
>(e.g. every time the car is 3 years old)

Surely it can only be 3 years old once. How could it be 3 years old lots of time ?

Why differentiate between "current" and "existing" ? That sort of careless language can invalidate otherwise meaningful surveys.

Regards,

Helpful of RLBS
Regards,
Helpful of RLBS

Hey, dont shoot the messenger:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=24...5

Poll 28. When do you change your car? - Caveman
Hey, dont shoot the messenger:-

Chortle.
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - Ex-Moderator
Dammit. I didn't even see that one coming.

Git.
Git.

;o)
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - Pugugly {P}
What about every time it hits a particular mileage, which could be in a year, two,three or ten ?
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - martint123
Does this hopefully spell the end of the mods oneupmanship competition.
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - patently
Mark,

There are risks in pedantry, you see. Looks like you need more lessons.

pedantly
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - NowWheels
There are risks in pedantry, you see. Looks like you
need more lessons.

Indeed. Allow me to offer one ...

The question asks about "changing" a car, which actually means altering or modifying it, as Kevin would do with his Nova.

From the suggested answers, I think that Mark intended to ask about when folks would "exchange" or "replace" their cars.
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - L'escargot
There are risks in pedantry, you see. Looks like you
need more lessons.
pedantly

In my dictionary the definition of a pedant is "one with more book-learning than practical experience or common sense"!
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - tyro
When it breaks, I get it fixed, given that getting it fixed is not too expensive. What about "When it dies?"
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - BazzaBear {P}
I voted 'when I get bored' as that's been the case for all but the last change. I certainly wasn't bored of my Alfa - just had a chance to buy the Coupe I'd been dreaming of for a long time, so did.
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - commerdriver
Like many company car drivers I change at a fixed interval. Challenge next time wil be the interval is now 2, 3, or 4 years with a different private use charge depending how long you keep it for, don't know if other company car schemes offer that sort of option. ( I am one of the subgroup working for a large IT company).

On the personal car front I would have liked the option of saying I don't change.
We still have the car my wife got in 1987, now driven by younger son, and the Commer has been in the family for all but one of its 31 years.
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - Bromptonaut
Agree with tyro. Run it into the ground is a different regime from change it 'cos it's got a bust widget.
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - Hugo {P}
Which Car?

We've got two and the van.

Can I vote 3 times please :)

H
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - L'escargot
Which Car?
We've got two and the van.
Can I vote 3 times please :)
H

You can do, but whether you ought to is another matter.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - NickCa
Another category should be:

When SWMBO agrees to let you change it (or when she has had enough of being nagged about it).

This is my experience every time!

Nick
Poll 28. When do you change your car? - Stuartli
I've never had a fixed interval for changing cars, only a good reason to do so or find one that's unmissable.

The last three cars, for instance, have been a 1989 1.3 VW Jetta bought in 1992 with 66,000 miles plus on the clock; a 1990 big bumper 1.6 Jetta TX acquired with 52,000 mile plus in 1995 (more power required) and, last year, a 1.6 Bora SE.

Even though the TX was 13 years old it was still running sweetly, passing its MOT without problems and would still be with me now, except for the fact that a friend who used to have a used cars outlet and now sells part-time from home, came up with the Bora at a very attractive price; it was also in the desired colour, Reflex Silver, although I would have been even happier if it had been a diesel.

Another plus point was that a re-invested Tessa was about to mature and there was no need to take out a loan.

I reckon the Bora will be with me for at least the rest of the decade and most probably even longer, thanks to its build quality and excellent reliability to date.

Interestingly enough, two 30-ish friends have both gone on to buy a Reflex Silver Bora after admiring mine; one bought new and the other from a used car supermarket.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by

The results of this weeks poll are:-

Poll 28. When do you change your car?

When I get bored with the current one = 36
Every time I can afford to = 21
Always at a particular age (e.g. every time the car is 3 years old) = 19
When the existing one breaks = 38