Water leaks on Golf IV - Allan Blunden
I have a Golf Mk IV estate, only 2.5 years old. The other day we found a puddle of water in the front footwell, and the rear footwell was also soaking (both driver side). On testing with a hose it seems that water is tracking in from somewhere above the brake pedal mounting. Under the bonnet, the enclosed area below the windscreen seems to retain standing water longer than I would like or expect: there's usually a rubber drain hose for these areas, but the engine compartment is so packed that I can't see or feel a drain hose. If indeed standing water here is the cause of the problem. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggested remedies? Apart from handing over wads of cash to a dealer, that is. So much for the legendary VW build quality ...
Water leaks on Golf IV - Halmer
Is is not under warranty?
I think not - personal import via Copenhagen, so only 2-year manufacturer warranty.
Water leaks on Golf IV - enr1
I know a couple of people who have had this problem. The leak is something to with the pollen filter housing. Water comes in from behind the pedals as you described. I'd take it in to the VW garage and get them to check this - they'll have had a few in with the same problem and so will be able to fix it relatively quickly and cheaply.
Water leaks on Golf IV - Stuartli
This has cropped up before in the forums.

HonestJohn's own Car-by-Car Breakdown Golf assessment includes: "Cabin leaks can be caused by a misaligned water shield cover over the pollen filter (very fiddly to replace)."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Water leaks on Golf IV - Halmer
Allan

Further to my post above. I've just had to have the pollen filter housing modified (whatever that means) on my Passat due to water ingress similar to yours.

They had to replace an alarm microswith and dry the carpets and underlay out as a result so it seems like a fair bet that yours may be the same problem.

I couldn't even locate the pollen filter housing so I can't be of any further use sorry!

Water leaks on Golf IV - Dynamic Dave
I couldn't even locate the pollen filter housing so I can't
be of any further use sorry!

Try here:-

www.puravent.co.uk/

tinyurl.com/45g75
Sincere thanks to Halmer, enr1, Stuartli and Dynamic Dave for sharing your information and giving me something to go on. The Puravent website is astonishingly helpful: why aren't car manuals that helpful? (silly me, I am forgetting: they don't want us to do our own servicing any more ...)