Golf MK4 Timing belt change - adamj23
My Mum has a Mark 4 VW Golf 1.4i the car has just passed 4 years old and has 46000 miles on the clock. The engine is still on its orginal timing belt I am wonder at what point it is recommended the belt is changed? Speaking to VW they say they check the condition of the belt when it is serviced and recommend changing when they think its needed - I am not convinced My aunt had the belt snap on her Golf (full VW main dealer history)causing major (and expensive) engine damage.

I guess that due to tha age of the car it maybe well worth moving away from VW for service and use a local specilist?

On a simular topic we also have a 2001 Corsa 1.2 SXI am I correct in thinking this engine has a chain rather than a belt?

Thanks for the help.
Golf MK4 Timing belt change - mare
Check out the car by car breakdown - especially the bit about the 1.4 16v engine breaking belts...

Once you suss out whether the belt should be changed, get prices from a SEAT and/or Skoda dealer to change it. The Golf shares a lot of bits with the Leon and Octavia, so I'm willing to bet that the engine is shared.

Where i live, VW will service my car for half of what the Skoda garage wnat, so shop around!
Golf MK4 Timing belt change - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
It has exceeded my criteria of 3 years/ 36000 miles so I advise change in the near future. Its fairly straightforward so any competent garage can do it but insist on a new tensioner.
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!