306 TD - Smoke - Fitz4x4
My sons 1994 306 TD suddenly lost power and started to smoke.
He drove it 2 mile to my house and when it got there it was blowing clouds of white smoke out of the exhaust.
At first I thought it was the head gasket but since speaking to a friend he has suggested it is more likly to be the Turbo.
What are your opinions?
How can I tell if it is the Turbo?
Any help is appreciated.
Thnks in advance.
306 TD - Smoke - richy
Normally on these engines when the HG does go it lets oil into the water. Sounds to me more like the Turbo oil seals, if so best to replace with one from a breakers rather than reconditioning the original. Has it already had the HG done? What's the mileage?
306 TD - Smoke - Martin1981
Hi There

Chances are its more likely to be the turbo. A head gasket failure is usually progressive rather than sudden, unless the engine overheats suddenly as a result of a huge loss of coolant or similar. I'm no mechanic as such but it could be the turbo oil seals that have failed or the turbo could have been starved of oil maybe as a result of a blockage in the oil feed pipe. If the oil is changed regularly and the level is not run low, the turbo should last a long time. My 1994 306TD has just turned 150k and still has the original turbo in and still works fine, although it smokes quite a bit when I accellerate sharply! If replacement is needed, you maybe lucky enough to get a 2nd hand one from a breakers quite cheaply.

Good Luck
Martin
306 TD - Smoke - sails north
its unlikely to be the turbo in my oppion. i'd advise a compression check because white smoke is indictive of unburnt diesel. so could be a valve/piston related issue
306 TD - Smoke - RichardW
If the seals fail in the exhaust side of the turbo, the oil escapes into exhaust, where it vaporises and you get white smoke. Lots of it! If the HG has gone you will be getting pressurisation of the coolant (top hose rock hard, pressure remaining in the morning, bubbles entering the header tank, pressure under the rad cap within a minute of a cold start). I'd back the turbo in this case, but check no loss of coolant. Getting the turbo out is 'interesting' AFAIK!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
306 TD - Smoke - Fitz4x4
Thanks for the replies. I went out and took the rad cap off last night after it had been standing for two days. It exploded water everwhere. I started it with the rad cap off and it was bubling and buping and pumping water out. So I guess this point towards the HG or worse still the head.
I'll keep you posted.
Once again tahnks for the replies
306 TD - Smoke - Civic8
Now you have released the pressure. I would not try to start it..As it sounds like HG failure..Water may enter the bore and hydraulic causing a lot more damage..Just my thoughts
--
Steve
306 TD - Smoke - Andrew-T
steve - if the pressure in the cooling circuit has been released, coolant is less likely to enter the cylinders than before. No?
306 TD - Smoke - Civic8
>>steve - if the pressure in the cooling circuit has been released, coolant is less likely to enter the cylinders than before. No?

Would depend on how large the leak is..Sudden HG failure can cause larger than normal break in gasket. releasing water into bore..The warning I gave was based on this..Had it been a slow HG failure I would not have mentioned it.
--
Steve