Best cheaper tyres? - jag_driver
I am intending to sell my 5 year old BMW 5 Series privately in the near future. It will need 4 new tyres for the MOT and I've been quoted around £600 to replace the Continentals.

However seeing as I am sellin the car it is unlikely this outlay will be reflected in the selling price so has anyone any experience/ideas of cheaper tyres with a relatively well known brand name.

I wouldnt consider fitting a budget tyre but I have found Hankooks that can be fitted all-in for £280. Are these tyres any good though and would they be likely to put off a potential purchaser?

Best regards
Best cheaper tyres? - quizman
I would not want to own a car with cheapo tyres, and certainly not on a BMW 5 series.
You are better off trying to get quality tyres at the lowest price.
Shop around, you will be surprised at the differences in prices.
I recently bought four Michelin 195/60/15 pilot primacy from Costco for £64 each all inclusive.
It feels much better with Michelin/Pirelli/Good Year etc under you, when going along the motorway in the pouring rain.
Best cheaper tyres? - Roberson
Hi, I have just done a quick search for 195/60/H/15s on the Kwik-Fit website, because I thought they were doing the 25% off Pirelli tyres when you buy 4. Turns out that the deal is still on, and you can get 4 Pirelli P6000s, p6000 powegys or P6s for £239.96.

If you want to keep a set of continentals on, this could cost you £311.

Take a look at their website, and see what you can find. All of the prices quoted on it are for fully fitted tyres.
Best cheaper tyres? - Roger Jones
I agree: shop around for a quality tyre and you can make them a selliing feature of the car at a notional premium to the price you will have paid for them. If you are anywhere near Micheldever or the other outfits in their Protyre group, you should be able to do as I have done repeatedly and pick up the euivalent of Michelin Primacy 205/50/R15 or 205/60/R15 for £60--70 (plus VAT, valve and balance) -- cheaper if the 195/60/H15s quoted above are appropriate.
Best cheaper tyres? - kithmo
Look on mytyres.co.uk and check out the reveiws for each tyre they sell. I've put the 205/50/17 93Y Hankook Ventus Sport K104 XL tyres on my Mk3 V6 Mondeo and I'm very pleased with them. They have good reviews on mytyres.
Best cheaper tyres? - trancer
You don't mention which 5 series you have or more importantly the tyre size. I have an E34 5 series and the tyre size is 225/65/15. While at Costco I got a quote for Michelins (Energy?) and they were £95 or £98 (don't remember)each fitted, VAT included. For that kind of money and considering the current used value of my car I won't be bothered about replacing the tyres with any specific brand name.

To be honest with you, I can't even say off the top of my head what brand are on the car now!.
The tyre size is 225/55 16 Speed Rating V - so far have been quoted around £600 for any premium makes but as the car is probably only worth £8000 privately (2000 V 520iSE 58k) I was considering opting for a cheaper brand but I will check out the 25% off Pirelli deal at Kwik Fit - does that cover all sizes and include fitting and balancing?

Many thanks
Best cheaper tyres? - henry k
Total quote £371.96 Pirelli Scopion zero
Best cheaper tyres? - Schnitzel
You are being ripped off, my car takes the same tyres, I usually pay £80-85 ish each for premium tyres. I have had V to Z rated P6000, P7, Eagle F1 in the last 3 years for this price or less, the 'big names' quote well over £100 - up to £150.

I used gates tyres in Carlisle
www.gatestyres.co.uk/

ETS Nottingham
Telephone: 0115-969-2222

Johnsons Tyres Wrexham
www.johnsonstyres.com
Best cheaper tyres? - Cabsusa
Try TOYO? Found them better than Michelin on two cars - cheaper and quieter; 195/65 x 15. Note not "V" rated; does 520 need "V"? Note std fit both cars 195/55 but hate hard ride, plus bashing wheels on potholes, and need a bit more ground clearance out in sticks.

AS
Best cheaper tyres? - Graemetdci
One tyre manufacturor that always seems to be overlooked is the Dutch firm Vredestein. Their tyres always seem to get good results in the Auto Express tyre tests. I currently have the 195/60 r15 v 'Sportrac 2' tyres on my focus and they are a better tyre than the Pirelli p6000s that came as standard with the car. They were also very reasonably priced at only £55 a corner from a local Hi-Q outlet. The Sportrac 2's are designed more as a performance tyre and with very good wet weather characteristics.

Just my thoughts.

Graeme
Has anyone ever bought tyres from mytyres.co.uk - this seems to be a good site, offering Pirelli P6000s for £80.

Any experiences of this company greatly appreciated