Full range of smaller diesels - andymc {P}
Was chatting to my dad and he asked if I knew anything about the new wave of smaller diesel engines - he has expressed an interest in getting a diesel whose engine has no more than a 1.6 litre capacity for when he changes cars again. This is because he lives in the RoI and the car tax system there is based on the engine's cubic capacity. City cars are out, but from spacious superminis to family size saloons/estates, all are possibilities, including those which are about to make it onto the market. Thanks for making it easy, Dad ...
Anyway, the ones I can think of include the Mazda3, Citroen C3 (and C4?), Ford Fiesta, Pug 307, possibly the new Mitsubishi Colt, um ... I think that engine from the Mazda3 is going into the Volvo S40, and presumably the Ford Focus. I seem to remember noticing something about a new 1.6 litre diesel for the facelifted Citroen C5 as well, which probably means the Pug 407 will get it, and I think the Corolla is getting a 1.4 or 1.6. Can anybody tell me what other ones I've left out?
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Full range of smaller diesels - mare
VW Polo 1.4TDI PD
Skoda Fabia 1.4TDI PD
Audi A2 1.4TDI

Presumably SEAT do an Ibiza with this engine too, but i couldn't find it. If they seem too small, then the Fabia comes as an estate as well.
Full range of smaller diesels - DavidHM
Vauxhall and Fiat 1.3 jtd engine in the Corsa/Punto... the Astra unfortunately uses a 1.7.

Renault Clio, Mégane and Scénic 1.5 - up to 100 bhp, which isn't bad. The same engine is in the Micra and, if he's not in a hurry, I imagine it'll make it into the new Almera, whenever tht comes.

New Mercedes A Class perhaps - not sure what the diesel engine in that will be.
Full range of smaller diesels - Cardew
Yaris, Hyundai Getz & Accent, Mazda 2, Mini,

I have heard VW plan to put one in the Maybach to cut down emissions!
Full range of smaller diesels - blue_haddock
Toyota Corolla comes in a 1.4 D4D, both manual and MMT. The 407 does have a 1.6 Hdi, it's also in the 206 and 307
Full range of smaller diesels - daveyjp
smart forfour uses a 3 cylinder 1.5 diesel.
Full range of smaller diesels - Happy Blue!
Its remarkable!

12 years ago I had a Vx Astra 1.6i which gave 100bhp. That was a really good output for the time for an ordinary car. Now we have 1.5 diesels giving the same. Thats progress.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Full range of smaller diesels - cheddar
Its remarkable!
12 years ago I had a Vx Astra 1.6i which gave
100bhp. That was a really good output for the time for
an ordinary car. Now we have 1.5 diesels giving the same.
Thats progress.

... and 50% more torque!
Full range of smaller diesels - machika
In answer to your earlier question about the C4, the new 1.6 HDI available in that, is the same as the one available in the new Focus range, the new C5, the 307 and the 407.
Full range of smaller diesels - andymc {P}
Brilliant - thanks to all who've replied. From that list, I would foresee the Fabia estate, the Mazda3, the Corolla, the Focus and possibly the C4 being the most likely contenders, in that order. He had a Felicia estate which he was delighted with (until baby bro wrote it off about two weeks after passing his test), so he likes the Skoda brand. He is slightly badge aware, but in a reverse snobbery sort of way - he'd be more likely to pick a Skoda because of what he perceives as its "budget brand" nature. He's not likely to do anything about all this until the summer, so there's plenty of time for him to look into his options. Again, ta v. much everyone.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Full range of smaller diesels - cheddar
Reckon the best small diesels are the Ford/PSA 1.6 in 90 and 110 ps and the Renault 1.5 in 80 and 100 ps. That being said if you go for a slightly bigger car the bigger diesels will be superior, i.e. the 1.5 100 is superb in a Clio though in a Scenic the 1.9 120 is far better due to having a lot more torque.
Full range of smaller diesels - Big Cat
Buy a copy of Diesel Car magazine. In the back it lists all the currently available diesels for sale in the UK with prices, performance, economy, oil change intervals etc.
Full range of smaller diesels - Brooklands
If you're thining of Supermini's you should add the Toyota Yaris 1.4 D-4D to your list.

Brooklands