Corolla 2001 Oil Change Procedure - Dumb
I am about to embark on the challenge to DIY oil & filter change on my Corolla 2001 vvt-i 1.6 Auto. I have spent some time looking around for relevant info (No Haynes manual however) but still have some queries:

1) I read this statment from somewhere - 'It has the cam belt to the left , alternator underneath and the heat shield to the right, there is no room at all to get the oil filter off.' Is that true? I have never seen what's underneath the car.

2) Hints or things to watch out?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Dumb
Corolla 2001 Oil Change Procedure - Ian D
Funnily enough I changed the oil and filter on my girlfriends 52 reg 1.6 T3 vvti Corolla last weekend. I could not find any info/Haynes manual but decided it could not be rocket science. Drove the cars front wheels onto a couple of quarry tiles (about 5" high) and this was enough to get access to the sump plug and filter. Procedure easy enough, the filter I removed with a chain filter remover, OK if a bit tight.

The only thing I did that garages won't do is to fill the oil filter with oil and then fit it (it is vertically mounted) and this minimises the time with the engine running dry as the oil pressure builds up.

I used 10W40 semi-synthetic oil which is what most dealers bulk fill the cars with, even though I understand 5W30 semi-synthetic or fully synthetic is slightly better for these cars...

Corolla 2001 Oil Change Procedure - Ian D
Just realised my oil change was on a post 2002 Corolla, so I am not sure if it is the same as your model Corolla?....