Diesel or Petrol?? - wonderwheels
Taking all things into account servicing,price difference, price at pumps etc, is there really any point in running a diesel now unless you are doing 20K or greater miles a year?. Curiuous as to what people think.I own a 2001 Passat 1.9TDi.There is now a 6p a litre difference at the pumps,the servicing costs are greater and the cars themselves are more expensive to buy.It appears that the only plus side is the lower Road Tax and in some cases, cheaper insurance.I am thinking of changing my car and looked at the new shaped Vectra.a 2.2 SRi petrol is about £1200 cheaper to buy than the 2.2Dti Sri diesel.I do around 15K miles a year.To me s things stand, the petrol seems the better option.
Diesel or Petrol?? - john deacon
well remember for the large proportion of new ones bought for company car drivers, their tax bill will depend on emissions, and so this can sway the economic decision one way or another

there are also still a proportion of people using farm diesel or similar

but otherwise you are right for most people diesel is not cost effective unless mileage is v high, or you happen to be able to buy one cheap for some reason
Diesel or Petrol?? - NickG
By "farm diesel" do you mean "red diesel"?

Can you just shove that stuff into a modern diesel engine without any nasty implications?

If you could (ignoring the possible complication of HM Customs & Excise locking you up) that would rather change the economic argument. Never mind needing to do 20k miles a year, 6k would probably be enough to make it worthwhile.

Can you just buy "red diesel" where it's sold, or do you have to prove your intended usage somehow?
Diesel or Petrol?? - bikemade3
Independent Garage near Wellington ( Somerset) sells Plant Derv on its forecourt. Just turn up with a container and away you go. Recently was about 43 pence/litre.

It might be cheap but when HM C&E catch you the fine will outway any savings.
Diesel or Petrol?? - DavidHM
If you're keeping the car three years as you did with the last one, then the petrol is likely to be cheaper on running costs when you take finance into account. However there's only a few hundred in it and the diesel needs to retain £500 of that premium to justify itself financially - so it's a minute difference if you would rather have a petrol.
Diesel or Petrol?? - strowger
Only ever having owned diesel cars (been driving for only a few years), I went petrol when I changed my car 3 months ago, reasoning that the huge saving in purchase and servicing costs more than outweighed the small extra fuel cost.

All well and good, except that I've found 2 things:

1. I *hate* the comparative lack of torque (change down from 5th to 3rd to get full power acceleration on the m'way - ugh) and the almost complete lack of engine breaking.

2. It's true that, when driven gently, petrol engined cars can
produce similar mpg figures to comparable diesels. What I hadn't realised was that, when hammered, petrol engine economy is woeful. None of my 4 diesel cars - or iforgethowmany company/hire ones - used noticably more fuel when driven hard, so this is a new experience for me.
Diesel or Petrol?? - commerdriver
For a company motorist there is a significant cost difference in favour of diesel but even if I were funding my own motoring (instead of that of my wife and children) I would still choose a decent diesel for the driving experience.
Diesel or Petrol?? - P 2501
It very much depends on your personal circumstances wonderwheels. In your case with diesel 6p (!) dearer than petrol and buying from new, aswell as only 15k a year then petrol is the way to go. Probably.

On the other hand i do 20k + private miles a year and near me diesel is only 2p more than petrol.Add to that the fact that i buy my cars second hand at 4 years old and keep them for a fair while (ie until they die)and you can see that for me diesel is far and away the best choice economically.

And i like the way diesels drive!
I forgot to add, that by buying second hand and doing your own basic servicing, The higher service costs of a diesel (if they exist) are avoided.
Diesel or Petrol?? - tr7v8
On the Alfa petrol & diesel service cost is very similar, however aside from oil & filter changes common rail diesels are so complicated that I wouldn't want to service it myself & also I want to keep the service history up. Also as I need a service every 3 or 4 months I don't have the time!

Jim
Diesel or Petrol?? - v8man
If you thrash a diesel, as you invariably have to, the fuel consumption rises as it does with petrol. There is no way of avoiding this. Heavy right foot = heavy fuel consumption regardless of type of fuel used.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Diesel or Petrol?? - Bromptonaut
I don't think there is a hard and fast answer to this, will depend on the car and a good crystal ball for fuel prices and residuals.

Although there is a 6p price difference some places now, in late summer prices were identical. There was also a recent thread that suggested that it could be a myth that diesels are more expensive to service now that modern oils have reduced the need for more frequent changes. The diesel can be expected to have a higher residual so unless discounts mean the real price gap at purchase is more than £1200 those who might prefer a diesel are paying only a small premium for their pleasure.

Conversley if you see a diesel as something you suffer only to save money you can probably go petrol with both heart and head!
Diesel or Petrol?? - Robert J.
Has anything more come to light concerning that rumour that Mr. Brown was planning to increase the fuel duty on diesel that was circulating recently ? That could a big effect on the figures.
Diesel or Petrol?? - cheddar
It also depends on the car itself, going back to the original post I would rather drive a 2.2 petrol Vectra than a 2.2DTi because the DTi is not the most torquey or refined diesel, if it were the new 1.9 CTDi it might be a different question.
Diesel or Petrol?? - Big Cat
Diesel. Everytime. Love the torque, relaxed motorway cruising and being able to fill up with cheap diesel in France.
Diesel or Petrol?? - smartnorthernmonkey
I'd go for diesel every time. Put your foot down and instant power. Unless you like thrashing a petrol to bits you will never see it working at its best. Turbo diesel gives the power and torque where you need it!

As for the money, the difference is minimal in cost (my Punto 1.9 JTD costs more to service than the 1.2 16v, is the same to insure and is cheaper to fuel and tax).

Don't forget the diesel will be worth more than the petrol come trade-in time, making the real difference half of the £1,200.
Diesel or Petrol?? - Roly93
I haven't heard that Brown will raise duty on diesel, but at the moment I believe that duty on standard unleaded and derv are identical, it is the oil companies that are responsible for the 6-7p price hike on derv.

I too am a disillusioned diesel driver having opted out of my company car scheme and bought a new diesel car just over a year ago.

My take on diesels, is that the disadvantages now outweigh the advantages, namely noisiness, slowness to warm up in cold weather, greater service expense, greater purchase expense generally, lack of low speed nippiness and apparent complexity making them possibly less reliable than their petrol equivalents.

I am thinking of changing my car in the next 6 months or so to something else costing around £20K, but I am seriously thinking of going back to petrol.

My diesel car now does about 43 mpg, whilst my petrol turbo VW Passat used to do about 36 mpg on the same journeys. Withn the ever looming cost of diesel is this 7 mpg really worth the hassle ?
Diesel or Petrol?? - Sofa Spud
Does a given amount of crude oil break down into fixed quantities of petrol, diesel etc.? I probably knew once, but I don't now. Diesel and heavy fuel oil were once by products of the petrol refining process. With the trend towards diesels, if it becomes worldwide, will the situation become reversed with an excess of petroleum?

The benefits of diesel will increase as the fossil fuels become scarcer and the move to biodiesel gathers pace. From what I've found on the net, renewable diesel fuels are much easier to make than is methanol for spark-ignition engines.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Diesel or Petrol?? - machika
My take on diesels, is that the disadvantages now outweigh the
advantages, namely noisiness, slowness to warm up in cold weather, greater
service expense, greater purchase expense generally, lack of low speed nippiness
and apparent complexity making them possibly less reliable than their petrol
equivalents.

Are modern diesels really noisier than petrol engines? Certainly not the HDI in our C5. We took a friend home from hospital recently and she had no idea it was a diesel engine. At speed it is much quieter than any petrol engine I have experienced. Slower to warm up, really? Less reliable, certainly not.

As for the cost of diesel, that is down to the UK being out of step with the rest of Europe
Diesel or Petrol?? - Mapmaker
WHY does it cost more to service a diesel than a petrol?

Looking at the Haynes manual for the 4 & 5 cylinder Audi 100/A6, there is only one difference in the servicing requirements between the petrol & diesel.

Replacing spark plugs.

Now it would seem to me that this should make the petrol more expensive to service than then diesel...
Diesel or Petrol?? - Reggie
I do all my own servicing, and have since I was.....young.
As far as I understand it, the only difference with petrol and diesel servicing is that the oil needs changing more frequently on a diesel than a petrol, so thats about £20/£25 a go, and the fuel filter needs changing periodically. Other items such as glow plugs (which are not "used" except on very cold mornings on the modern diesels) can be likened to spark plugs, and a cam belt is a cam belt. There's no mystery about servicing a diesel engine, but the modern diesels are beyond most peoples abilities to fault find, if and when anything does go wrong.

I was told by a knowledgeable friend a few years ago that the Chancellor had put a higher tax levy on diesel, as disel users were look upon as tax evaders!

I still prefer, and run 2 diesels to a petrol, although I haven't tried a turbo petrol yet, or a big V6 petrol. They are just sooooooo lazy and unfussed compared to the typical petrol. I did actually own a petrol 2.0 206 (138bhp allegedly) and yes it would pick up from 1,000 rpm and was very flexible, but when it was asked to get a move on, it felt and sounded like I was thrashing the life out of it. But I suppose we are all different and like different things about our cars.

Reggie
Diesel or Petrol?? - PhilW
I have to say that there are several things in this thread that I disagree with. Note that I say disagree, not that they are wrong. I am going purely on my own experience of driving (mainly ) diesels since 1987 and they are solely Citroen diesels (XUD and HDi for last 3 yrs)
"thrash a diesel, as you invariably have to" Why? And anyway my old BXs always returned at least 45 mpg no matter how I drove. Wife's Xantia HDi refuses to do less than about 48.
"noisiness," Different noise perhaps, maybe a bit more clatter on start-up with older diesels but not noticeable on HDis or at cruising speed. Arguably quieter cruising at 3000 rpm at 90 mph than a "buzzy" high revving petrol.
"greater service expense," apart from cambelts when required and two new sets of glowplugs, over the last 17 years and cars that have done 170k, 140k and 100k plus present diesels that have done 77k and 17k the engines have not been touched. The "greater service cost" of diesels over petrol is therefore hard to calculate since the service cost of my diesel engines in 17 years has been virtually zero (OK - £50 for glowplugs)
"lack of low speed nippiness" - what? with all that torque? Saw bit of Top Gear highlights last night and a Skoda Fabia diesel blew away a Mini in terms of accelleration
"apparent complexity" see points on servicing above. Only thing that has needed doing to mine has been oil changes and glowplugs - how complex is that?
"less reliable" Had a breakdown in about 1990 - broken accellerator cable - couldn't have happened to a petrol???

Now, if you said you preferred the characteristics of driving a petrol engined car and because diesels command a price premium then I would say go and buy one. But don't run down diesels because of spurious and imagined "costs", noise, etc
Happy motoring (petrol or diesel - it's up to you)
Diesel or Petrol?? - Avant
Phil W is quite right - it comes down to horses for courses.

Financially, the more miles you do a year the better bargain a diesel is, both for fuel economy and engine life. It's as simple as that.

To drive, it depends where you like your power. My Audi (2.5 TDI) has plenty of oomph low down in the rev range, whereas SWMBO's 2-litre Honda Civic gives of its best at above 4,000 rpm. There's very little noise difference between the two, certainly from inside the car.

Personally I think the torque of a diesel is more use in everyday driving. If Honda put their 2.2 diesel in the next Civic they'll have a lot of takers.
Spot on Phil W. There is still this huge myth surrounding diesels, particularly about servicing costs. It used to be that the only thing that needed doing more frequently was the oil change, but even thats gone now and many modern diesels have drain intervals beyond petrol equivalents.

Certainly modern ecu controlled diesels are alot more complicated than diesels of old, but still only about as complicated as modern petrols.

This diesel v petrol debate/argument will never end but as avant says it is down to how and where you like your power.

As mentioned above-get the facts straight before rubbishing diesels.
Diesel or Petrol?? - nick
One big disadvantage with diesels for me - the smelly fuel. Once on your hands or soles of your shoes, you smell of it all day. Perhaps galoshes and Marigolds are the answer.
Re P 2501's comments

Certainly modern ecu controlled diesels are alot more complicated than diesels of old, but still only about as complicated as modern petrols.

This diesel v petrol debate/argument will never end but as avant says it is down to how and where you like your power.

As mentioned above-get the facts straight before rubbishing diesels.

I agree that the oil change interval issue with diesels has now dissapeared, however I have a SaaB diesel and it is a fact that the service cost is considerably more than the petrol equivalent of the same model. This is also true of VW as far as I can see.

My experience of diesels is that whilst they dont neccesarily break down more than petrol cars, they tend to have a lot of niggly or annoying problems that the garages don't seem to be able to diagnose.

Anyway I think the interesting question is how much more expensive does derv have to get before diesel cars cease to become viable ?

Diesel or Petrol?? - Malcolm_L
Given that modern diesels and petrols use virtually the same technology, if you accept the higher diesel injection pressure is balanced by the lack of ignition components - it doesn't seem logical that one is going to be more prone to problems than the other.

IMHO garages in general are finding it difficult to eliminate niggling faults on all cars. I suspect this is down in part to the complexity of engine management systems and also (ironically) modern cars give less problems as a whole, this means that faults take longer to become accepted as a generic problem.
I think you are correct ML. I also struggle to think of a reason why the saab diesel mentioned above is more expensive to service than a petrol.Is the oil more expensive? A routine service should be a very similar price.

It is only when you start replacing diesel injectors and fuel pumps etc that they become pricey. (and modern common rail diesel fuel systems are very pricey indeed)But in the main they are reliable.

when it comes down to routine servicing there is no reason i can think of for a modern diesel to cost more than a petrol.
Diesel or Petrol?? - oldtoffee
>>Anyway I think the interesting question is how much more expensive does derv have to get before diesel cars cease to become viable ?

At a wild guess, for diesel drivers about twenty to twenty five percent because they know that's what they are saving. For petrol drivers considering diesel half that increase will put most of them off ie double the exisitng 5p difference at many outlets.
Diesel or Petrol?? - trancer
"I have a SaaB diesel and it is a fact that the service cost is considerably more than the petrol equivalent of the same model. This is also true of VW as far as I can see."

Not arguing that point, but asking how much of that price difference is due to the dealer charging more because he can or due to the actual cost of the service.

Point taken that if a dealer *wants* to charge more for a diesel service, then that diesel service, from that dealer, will cost more than petrol.

Those of us who self-service or use independents will always struggle to understand why people still feel that diesels in general cost more to service than petrols.
Diesel or Petrol?? - Bromptonaut
Surely any dealer worth his salt will be able to settle the service cost argument for a given vehicle simply by totting up the book prices for work scheduled to 50k or whatever. Figure in spreadsheet; job done.
I think you have hit the nail on the head there trancer.

Diesel engines are noiser than petrol. The reason you can't tell in the car is because of all the extra sound proofing material added under the bonnet and to the bulkhead.

I also stand by my earlier statement about thrashing diesels. From a standing start you need just about all of the revs to make a brisk getaway. As diesels have very narrow power bands. This isn't a criticism. I agree that once on the move they are relaxing due to the torque.

--
Diesel or Petrol?? - commerdriver
From a standing start you need just about all of the revs
to make a brisk getaway.

Dont know what diesels you have driven v8man but I have to disagree, in normal driving, including reasonably brisk getaways when required I rarely rev mine over 2500.
That is what i find too commerdriver. The real problem with diesels trying to make a quick getaway is the often very short first gear which means you have to change up sooner than petrols do.(at least in mine)
Not a major problem though really.
Forgot to add, not just the short first but also the very narrow power band in that gear- anything above 2500rpm is v noisy and no quicker than 1500rpm.
Diesel or Petrol?? - nortones2
The power bands of all engines are similar in breadth: its the accessibility that counts. The current Honda 2 litre we have produces worthwhile power from 4000 to 6500. The 1.9 diesel VW's I've had produced worthwhile power from 1500 to 4000. I'd concede that turbo-powered petrol might have a wider power band than a diesel - but I'd be unwilling to use it because of the cost.
Diesel or Petrol?? - machika
Diesel engines are noiser than petrol. The reason you can't tell
in the car is because of all the extra sound proofing
material added under the bonnet and to the bulkhead.

So why don't they put this extra sound proofing under the bonnets of petrol engined cars to make them quieter? A direct injectioned diesel is a lot more relaxed at 70 to 80 mph than the vast majority of petrol engines, with none of the buzz that a lot of petrol engines produce. As for having to thrash a diesel to get decent initial acceleration, I find our HDI auto quicker off the mark than most cars, without the need to thrash it. How do I know? I look in my mirror.
I whole-heartedly agree with Trancer on the point below :-

Not arguing that point, but asking how much of that price difference is due to the dealer charging more because he can or due to the actual cost of the service.

I should have been a bit clearer in my original post, by saying that us knowledgeable people know wer'e being ripped off by the dealer, the trouble is that when you are still under SaaB warranty there is not realy any choice.
Diesel or Petrol?? - NowWheels
It seem to me that the newer diesels sound like a good bet for the company car likely to rack up high mileages, with a more relaxed driving style than petrol cars while retaining all the diesel benefits of lower fuel cost and longevity.

But the increased complexity of these engines makes them a much more suspect prposition for the s/h buyer than their 1980s predecessors. It sounds as if the new engines have a lot of complex components (turbochargers, common rail injection systems, ECUs etc) simply weren't there on the 1980s cars. Those are going to expensive to replace if they fail, and DIY maintenance looks much less possible.

Ten years ago, I'd have said that a petrol-engined s/h car would need to be a lot cheaper than a diesel one to be worth buying. Now I'm not so sure.
Diesel or Petrol?? - nortones2
All engines now have ECU's. Petrol engines also have pumped injection systems, albeit at lower pressures. The turbo charger on diesels is still less usual than petrol engines, but is pretty long-lived given adequate oil quality I'd suggest. However, petrol engines have a number of items not present on diesels, for example 3-way catalysts with oxygen sensors, feed-back mechanisms relevant to the foregoing to maintain stoichiometric combustion conditions, ignition coils and their timing paraphenalia, together with variable valve timing. All in all I'd suggest there is not a lot of difference in complexity!
"(turbochargers, common rail injection systems, ECUs etc) simply weren't there on the 1980s cars. Those are going to expensive to replace if they fail, and DIY maintenance looks much less possible."

Expensive to replace, yes, but no more than a turbocharger, fuel injection system or an ECU for a petrol car I'd imagine. Those items are not part of a maintanence schedule for a diesel (or a petrol) so wouldn't impact any DIY servicing. Diesel cars are more complex than they were 20 years ago, but they are no more complex than petrol cars. All that has happened is that diesel complexity has caught up to the petrols.

If a diesel is "too complex" to consider buying, then don't bother looking at a petrol either.

well there are arguments to go for chain rather than belt driven cam

avoid turbo

maybe avoid more than 2 valves per cylinder

and other stuff i carnt think of, to aim for the most reliable cheapest to fix car possible

it wont be the lightest (engine will weigh more etc) so wont be the most fuel efficient

applies to petrol and diesel

but people dont think like this otherwise people wouldnt buy style over substance, but they do time and time again
John,
I think I see where you're going on this.

Relatively simple to make a robust vehicle with slightly over-engineered components, however making this vehicle pass emissions testing without an ECU is going to be difficult.

Could look at mechanical injection but this is best suited to diesels, Triumph TR6 is the only mechanically injected car I can think of, system wasn't too clever and needed constant adjustment to keep the mixture right.

As regard style over substance, that's a toughie. I guess we all go for style over substance to a certain extent but a car is about the most expensive statement your going to make.

Depends on whether you are buying private or company.

I used the 1.9 150bhp diesel and the 2.2 petrol, both SRI spec for this exercise.

Company car tax will cost £350 per year more for the petrol, over 3 years that's almost the difference in cost between the diesel and the petrol.

Fuel will cost £1220 annually for the diesel and £1450 for the petrol.

If you did more mileage the diesel would definitely be the better buy, however the diesel will depreciate less which is the killer.

Diesel or Petrol?? - Big Cat
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the safety issue of diesels. In the USA I think it's a requirement that all minibuses have to be diesel - but I may be wrong. In an accident diesel fuel is less likely to combust compared to petrol.
Having had an underbonnet fire with a petrol - admittedly minor - I feel safer with a diesel.
Never heard of that before, and I would be surprised if there was such a law...or if the lawmakers could even define "minibus" 8-). Large commuter buses use diesel power because it is still the best way to power large, heavy vehicles.
Diesel or Petrol?? - Civic8
Trancer.
>>Large commuter buses use diesel power because it is still the best way to power large, heavy vehicles.
I think you are correct.
biggest reason I think assuming any law..Diesel needs more oxygen than petrol to cause a fire.

But one of the greatest causes of underbonnet fires. After a crash was brake fluid. Ie master cylinder sheered from its mounting. fluid set light on exhaust then set off fuel.regardless of petrol/diesel..Anyone please correct..though I think this problem has been addressed now....I will say I reckon diesel is best.And I used to hate them.I wont go back to petrol.
--
Steve
Diesel requires no more oxygen than petrol to ignite. It requires more heat.
--
Diesel or Petrol?? - Civic8
V8man.Diesel requires no more oxygen than petrol to ignite.If that is the case..Why does petrol go up in flames more quickly easily.than Diesel.where diesel wont..explode petrol will
--
Steve
Diesel or Petrol?? - bazza
V8man.Diesel requires no more oxygen than petrol to ignite.If that is
the case..Why does petrol go up in flames more quickly easily.than
Diesel.where diesel wont..explode petrol will
--
Steve

Diesel has a much higher flash point temperature, it's a much less volatile hydrocarbon. Therefore, it needs to be heated to a higher temperature than ambient, hence it's much safer in a spillage situation.
Diesel or Petrol?? - hxj
>>> however the diesel will depreciate less which is the killer.

Are you sure about this. With new company car registrations being about 2/3 diesel at the moment I cannot see a premium existing in three or four years with all those nicely specified 100k mileage FSH cars competign for your cash.
same must surely happen with silver too, there has got to be a price crash for silver cars, they are just way too many of them going to hit the used car market, not every body wants silver?
I certainly hope those predictions come true as my next car will be diesel, and I hope to find a nice silver one. By all accounts it won't cost anymore than a white, petrol model.