***Advice On Renault Megane*** - EuRoJuNk
i have '97 megane a week ago speedo started to go eratic on start up and sometimes whilst driving. The speedo wwould also go to zero and not move then all a sudden be ok again. Now though speedo is not working at all and also mileometer is not working. Please help its difficult using rev counter to determine speed J/K.

***Advice On Renault Megane*** - Altea Ego
Does your megane have intelegent wipers (ie that drop down a speed when you stop) or speed sensitive door locking ( ie doors auto lock when you go above 10 mph) and do they work?

If they do that means the speed sensor and wiring to the cpu is working ok.
***Advice On Renault Megane*** - EuRoJuNk
Yes i have intelligent wipers but they do not work now that you say......im now guessing wiring may be affected to cpu? :(
***Advice On Renault Megane*** - Andrew-T
The facia panel on wife's 2000W Clio 1.6 showed symptoms like yours during the coldest spell last winter. On start-up all the dials would drop to 'zero' for 5 seconds or so, then come back. Consulted dealer who said it could be several things, but 'keep an eye on it'. Problem vanished when weather warmed up and hasn't returned. No wiser, I'm afraid, but running of car seemed quite unaffected.
***Advice On Renault Megane*** - Altea Ego
Sounds like its the speed sensor then. Sorry Dunno where it is tho.
***Advice On Renault Megane*** - Adam {P}
>>The facia panel on wife's 2000W Clio 1.6 showed symptoms like yours during the coldest spell last winter. On start-up all the dials would drop to 'zero' for 5 seconds or so, then come back. Consulted dealer who said it could be several things, but 'keep an eye on it'. Problem vanished when weather warmed up and hasn't returned. No wiser, I'm afraid, but running of car seemed quite unaffected.<<

Believe it or not, that *could* be the battery. Sweeping generalisation I know but apparently, on the Focus, when the battery level is low, on start up, all the dials will go crazy (sweep full then reset) to let you know. Mine did this over Christmas a number of times but now I've been using the car again and giving it a few good blasts, it's never done it again.
--
Adam