Ford Focus TDCi engines 115ps vs 100ps - paddywacx
Hi,

I have searched the net quite a few times on this subject, but can never get a satisfactory answer. I am thinking of buying a second hand focus this year.

The Ford Focus(up to the end of 2004) has a 1.8 TDCi engine in it. Under all listings, the engines come in 115ps and 100ps versions.

Is there any way of knowing which engine is in the car by just looking at it. e.g. the vw/skoda colour the "i" in tdi for 100bhp and colour the "di" in tdi for 130bhp engines.

Also, from new, did buyers specify what engine they wanted(115ps or 100ps), or did it change by year/month. Ford have the two engines listed in their price list for 2004, and parkers doesn't specify. Insurance companies want to know which version you have.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brian Queally
Ford Focus TDCi engines 115ps vs 100ps - Quinny100
There should be a sticker under the bonnet stating the output.

The 100HP version was released later than the 115, sometime in 2003 IIRC.

They are the same engines though, only the software is different apparently.
Ford Focus TDCi engines 115ps vs 100ps - paddywacx
Thanks for your reply.

Brian Q

Ford Focus TDCi engines 115ps vs 100ps - cheddar
Hello, I think you will find that the 100ps TDCi has rear drum brakes, as do the 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 petrol Focuses, where as the 115ps TDCi has rear discs as per the 2.0 petrol's. The wheel designs make it easy to see the brakes through the wheels.

Regards.
Ford Focus TDCi engines 115ps vs 100ps - quizman
My wife's Focus 115ps TDCI has got rear drum brakes. The ones with rear disc brakes are ABS. I think that after Jan 2002 all Focus' have got rear discs/ABS as standard.
A friend has a 100ps TDCI with rear discs/ABS and I must admit the brakes feel much better, but it does not pull as well as the 115ps.
I didn't want rear discs on my wife's car, because she drives so gently that the front discs go rusty, so I can't imagine what would happen to the rears.

This oil business is getting rather complicated recently.
This does seem rather complicated, I don't think that there is a direct link between ABS and rear discs, 1.6 petrol Focuses (Foci?) have rear drums and ABS. I know the 1.8 petrol Focus was available with an optional "pack" which offered traction control and rear discs as 2.0's have as standard however the TDCi is not available with TC so that would not explain why your friends TDCi 100 has rear discs. Furthermore I am sure I have read more than once that all TDCi 115's have rear discs, perhaps this was from a certain date, what year is your wife's car? Lastly, I would be surprised if any TDCi, as opposed to the older TDDi, Focus did not have ABS.

Ford have carried on with rear drums on the lesser powered new 2005 model Focus, i.e. the 1.6 TDCi 110 has rear drums though the 2.0 TDCi 136 has rear discs.

Regards.

Ford Focus TDCi engines 115ps vs 100ps - Stuartli
Digressing slightly. When my offspring acquired his Focus 1.8 TDCI 115 Zetec I studied the official fuel consumption figures for the 100 and 115 units on a wall chart (I think there was also a slightly smaller power output version); intriguingly the fuel consumption figures for all the 1.8-litre diesel engines were exactly the same in the various categories when fitted in the Focus.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Ford Focus TDCi engines 115ps vs 100ps - GrahamF1
The most basic way would be to check the engine code against those listed in the Haynes manual.
Ford Focus TDCi engines 115ps vs 100ps - quizman
Cheddar, my wife's 115psTDCI was registered on 31/12/2001. I bought it with delivery miles in January 2002.
I assure you that it has rear drum brakes, and does not have ABS.
My friend's 100psTDCI registered in May 2002 has got rear disc brakes and has got ABS.
I agree that this is getting complicated and you will probably not be surprised if I cannot resist saying hard cheese.......

Sorry.
Hi,

Reckon it must be that all 2002 model on TDCi's have ABS, and perhaps rear discs as well whether or not 115 or 100ps.

No worries, it doesn't "grate" with me, just trying to help!

Regards.
Ford Focus TDCi engines 115ps vs 100ps - his nibs
Very confusing I agree, I guess it is a typical scenario of Ford gradually evolving it's cars over time.

We have a 2002 TDCi 115, registered October 2002 which is without ABS and has rear drum-brakes; I had begun to associate the presence of rear-disc brakes with ABS, but it sounds as though it is more dependant in what Ford had available at the time of manufacture.

Cheers