Parts Rip Offs - Stuartli
There are firms in the UK, such as www.gsfcarparts.com/ which offer genuine spare parts for much, much less than at franchised dealerships.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Parts Rip Offs - Dalglish
The same could be true for quite a lot of parts from Thailand.

>>

the same is true for many other industries and services; and which is why the uk faces a bleak future with its high cost of labour and land.

take computers - ibm have just sold off their pc making business to the chinese. why ? because there is no more margin to tbe made in them to support western lifestyles. soon the major cost of a pc will be that of the outer-case and metal faraday-cage, rather the innards. and even those parts costs will be a fration of the license for the software that is bundled with the pc.

take restaurants in london - without the east-euorpeans who provide most of the waiting staff, where would we all eat?

take cleaning and security services - without the nigerians and ghanians, where would we be.

take nursing - without the filipina and south-african nurses, wher would we be.

take accountancy and law - a firm i deal with is curretnly outsourcing work to india to highly qualified accoutnants who cost just 10% of the wages of equivalent people in the uk.

we are doomed, doomed - all doomed.

so its time we all stop moaning, be grateful our access to top quality cars, and enjoy our freedom to enjoy our motoring, and 4x4's while we can. before red-ken and two-jags and al-quaeda put a stop to it all.

Parts Rip Offs - Aprilia
>> The same could be true for quite a lot of
parts from Thailand.
>>
the same is true for many other industries and services; and
which is why the uk faces a bleak future with its
high cost of labour and land.
take computers - ibm have just sold off their pc making
business to the chinese. why ? because there is no more
margin to tbe made in them to support western lifestyles. soon
the major cost of a pc will be that of the
outer-case and metal faraday-cage, rather the innards. and even those parts
costs will be a fration of the license for the software
that is bundled with the pc.
take restaurants in london - without the east-euorpeans who provide most
of the waiting staff, where would we all eat?
take cleaning and security services - without the nigerians and ghanians,
where would we be.
take nursing - without the filipina and south-african nurses, wher would
we be.
take accountancy and law - a firm i deal with is
curretnly outsourcing work to india to highly qualified accoutnants who cost
just 10% of the wages of equivalent people in the uk.
we are doomed, doomed - all doomed.
so its time we all stop moaning, be grateful our access
to top quality cars, and enjoy our freedom to enjoy our
motoring, and 4x4's while we can. before red-ken and two-jags and
al-quaeda put a stop to it all.

Well, I wonder how so many other Western countries manage without importing cheap labour? Aparently we need them because we have such a shortage of labour - yet there are plenty of people unemployed and 'parked' on incapacity benefit, 'early retired' etc etc. And I wonder how the Germans. French etc are going to manage without being able to outsource all their call centres to India (or are they going to teach the Indians to speak French and German?). I'm still waiting for a flood of European jobs to come to the UK (since we're told they have much higher labour costs than we do; but strangley enough charged-out labour rates over there are lower - weird!). Maybe we shouldn't believe quite so much of the propaganda printed in our newspapers.

I have visited China this year (as part of a delegation of people to look at trade in the automotive sectors). The statistics on China aren't *quite* as impressive as you might think. Despite the enormous population, total Chinese GDP is only about 25% that of Japan. The country is only just managing to feed itself - the effects of global warning could easily spark a famine. The country is short of energy and much of it still doesn't have electric power and won't for at least another decade. Remember the 'showcase cities' we see reported on TV only house a tiny fraction of the population.
The thing that struck me most from my visit was that China is an environmental catastrophe waiting to happen. Much industrialisation has taken place for no sound economic reason (everything is run by the local 'party men', often at a loss and with terrible corruption) and pollutants are simply dumped anywhere that is convenient (sometimes into the local reservoirs!).
I could go on. No doubt the Chinese will slowly prosper, as well they should given the size of the country, but at the moment we exploit them rather than the other way around. They are also dependent upon us to buy their products at large mark-ups. A downturn in the West will affect them very badly, since their domestic market is still quite small.
Parts Rip Offs - Dalglish
Well, I wonder how so many other Western countries manage
without importing cheap labour

>>

partly in answer to this, and partly in answer to hj as to why thailand (or india, or china, or usa, or whatever) are so much cheaper for parts than the uk:

generalising, and very broadly speaking - in addition to high cost of land and labour, we also have a bureacracy which applies the law to the letter.

in europe, the eu laws/rules are seen as made to be broken, whereas in the uk they taken to be applied to the n-th degree. i could give examples of health & safety inspectors, environmental health, etc. visits with ridiculous time and money wasted to deal with their demands. same with tax and vat inspectors.

pile on top of that the paperwork that businesses have to deal with in order to set up premises and employ people. at the moment the uk economy is surviving on tourism income and its financial service industry, and because many us companies prefer to set up european hq's around london (to take advantage of the common language).

for parts prices to achieve the levels of thailand and china, we will have to have the same base costs: e.g. the same health&safety, environmental & employment laws; and the same social/health benefits, and the same wages, overhead costs, fuel taxes, income taxes, etc.

Parts Rip Offs - buzbee
>at the moment the uk economy is surviving on tourism income<

Dalglish: Do you have any figures to support this? I am no great authority on the subject, and could be wrong, but my impression is that tourism/holidays (via aircraft) is a net exporter of stirling to the tune of about £1 bilion a year.
uk economy - Dalglish
Do you have any figures to support this? .. is a net exporter
of stirling to the tune of about £1 bilion a year.

>>

buzbee
you can find all the figures you need at
www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=199

the uk economy is bleeding at the rate of £40 billion a year, i.e. about £110 million a day. which sector contributes the most/least should be availbale from the stats.

aprilia - re. your reference to germany in the post below. have you considered that perhaps that explains why the german economy is doing so badly compared to the uk.

Parts Rip Offs - Aprilia
in europe, the eu laws/rules are seen as made to be
broken, whereas in the uk they taken to be applied to
the n-th degree. i could give examples of health & safety
inspectors, environmental health, etc. visits with ridiculous time and money wasted
to deal with their demands. same with tax and vat inspectors.
pile on top of that the paperwork that businesses have to
deal with in order to set up premises and employ people.

So 'Johnny Foreigner' is a dodgy blighter, eh? Well, I spend quite a bit of my working life in Germany and I can tell you that they apply rules and regulations with a vigour unmatched by our redoubtable British jobsworths! Their tax laws make ours seem very relaxed (the Germans claim that half of the printed paper produced on the planet comes from the German tax office). Mind you, they have ID cards and anyone who shouldn't be in the country is put on the next plane out - along with whacking great fines for anyone who employs 'illegals'. Apparently this is something we can't do in the UK because so much of our economy depends on these people (building labour, fruit picking etc etc. we are told).
at the moment the uk economy is surviving on tourism
income and its financial service industry, and because many us companies
prefer to set up european hq's around london (to take advantage
of the common language).

Like to see some figures on tourism - I suspect we 'export' quite a bit of money to France, Greece and Spain every year.....
for parts prices to achieve the levels of thailand and china,
we will have to have the same base costs: e.g. the
same health&safety, environmental & employment laws; and the same social/health benefits,
and the same wages, overhead costs, fuel taxes, income taxes, etc.

Yes, I would agree with this. Again though, spending time in Germany I am puzzled how main dealers over there can charge hourly rates a lot lower than UK dealers and yet the mechanics earn more. This is true even in a very high-cost city like Munchen.
One thing that is very noticable is that the German education system is well funded and of a very high quality, levels of factory investment are very high too. This leads to productivity that is much higher than the UK's (I've heard 40% quoted) and this must be a factor in keeping prices low. Don't know so much about France, but I gather their productivity is a good deal higher than ours too.
Parts Rip Offs - NowWheels
Again though, spending time in Germany I am puzzled how main
dealers over there can charge hourly rates a lot lower than UK
dealers and yet the mechanics earn more. This is true even in
a very high-cost city like Munchen.

As you suggest, I'm sure that education has part in it. But it's partly a matter of financial structures. British capital usually seeks returns of around 20%, whereas the Germans have usually satisfied themselves with 10%.

Things were different when Britain had regional banks, as it did in the 19th century, and Germany still has. Nowadays, though, remote finaciers tend to be in the driving seat in England.
Parts Rip Offs - Aprilia
Aprilia raised an interesting point in the thread 'Part Ex Rip
Offs' describing how he sourced parts from the USA at extremely
low prices, even after shipping and duty. The same could be
true for quite a lot of parts from Thailand. They are
pick-up crazy there (most of the World's medium pick-ups are built
in Thailand) and accessories are a small percentage of the cost
they are here. Closer to the 'real' price than the 'marketed'
price. We had a full leather interior fitted to a small
four door car: all seats and door panels for just £250.
The Honda Jazz has taken off in a big way and
all kinds of kit is available for that which either you
can't get here for sensible money or can't get (Honda dealers
quote between £175 and £600 for side rubbing strips). I'm going
back in January so could check things out. But might be
that a Backroomer tells me the whole thing is already sewn
up.
HJ

I think there is a big opportunity for someone to start bringing Japanese tuning/customising stuff into the UK. Its already here in a small way (read the Jap import sportscar mags) but a lot of prices these importers are asking are just stupid. They are trying to make a quick killing. This stuff is more readily available in NZ and Aus at sensible prices and sells well in volume.

From my personal experience the trick is to import stuff that has a relaitively high value but is small and compact so that freight charges are low. Things like tuned ECU's, AFM's and the like (hint...)!
Parts Rip Offs - THe Growler
Similar in the Philippines. The guy up the road will produce a beautiful leather interior for you in a couple of days at a good price. I recently mentioned I bought a new set of Goodyear Eagles manufactured in the Phils for 25 quid each fitted and balanced by an authorized Goodyear Service center. Any garage will do you an oil change and filter for about 5 quid (dino oil -- bit more for synth. We still have premium gas at 29p a litre -- although that was enough to bring all the public utility drivers out on strike for a day last month!

Mobil 1 runs about GBP 5 a liter last time I looked, and that's an import too, i.e. includes freight and taxes.

Labour charges are low, about GBP4 per hour and work is first class. You just make friends with your local wrench and he'll come round to your house and do whatever it is for you if you want. Just buy him and his mate lunch.....

Our car accessory supermarkets are as big if not bigger than yer average Tesco and stuffed full of goodies I've never seen in UK. One whole row devoted to air fresheners! Origins of most are TW and JP, so you may have trouble reading the labels.....

The recent Excursion I was looking at lustfully is PHP2.5m OTR, now that is less than the US home price for a full US import, don't ask me how they do that, about GBP23k. A locally assembled Ford Ranger diesel 4WD pick-up will cost you about GBP11k OTR.

Call centers -- well the Philippines is fortunate that American English is its second language and is more understandable that the often cut-with-a-knife Indian accent, so we are a magnet for call centers, the US in particular.

Shock horror! We have (had) one known S**** C***** at the Ayala Tunnel in Makati. Unfortunately, or fortunately, no self-respecting Filipino with his Spanish machismo would accept some seat-warmer sending him a photo which he believes must have been rigged (our natural reaction is to regard anything emanating from Gov't as a scam), so most of the tickets ended up being ripped up and thrown away.

If I spend more than GBP12 for a 3 course meal for 2, including 16oz Aussie prime beef and a bottle of Wynne's Bin 444, I'm complaining. Rent a 4 bed/5 bathroom house with a pool in an average Manila suburb, say GBP180/month. Housemaid GBP20/month plus meals, driver (keep it motoring) GBP50/month. Down in GRowlette's province, it's half that, and the maid will bring back from the beach that day's catch and chuck it on the barbie, while I sip my imported Chivas (GBP7.50 a bottle).

Medivcal care is world-class and NO waiting BUT you need to keep your Blue Cross up to date. Amazingly the Phils has a reciprocal arrangment with the UK on Pensions, so next year in addition to HMG's munificence and gratitude, I shall qualify for the princely sum of GBP11 p.m!

AND we get service, prompt (mostly), polite and smiling (always) and the waitresses are a helluva lot nicer to look at than the Western white whales who make sure you know how much they hate this job........oh, and it's warm even when it's raining.

Food, well any cuisine you can think of. Dial up if you're feeling lazy and they'll deliver, while you're watching the pile of pirate DVD's you bought for GBP7 each.

So is UK a rip-off? Well, given the costs of doing business there probably not in the true sense of the term. Is it value for money? Absolutely not. In a motoring sense especially.

Now someone is going to shoot me down with all the rationalisations: slave labour, lack of safety regs, yadda yadda....

.....GRowler gone....)
Parts Rip Offs - L'escargot
.......in the Philippines........labour charges are low

This would be fine, if the Philipinos had a similar standard of living to the rich westeners living there. But I understand that a lot of Philipinos have to take low-paid menial jobs such as being a domestic servant just to keep body and soul together.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Parts Rip Offs - P 2501
Absolutely right L'escargot. Most Philipinos live in abject poverty, around 60-75% if the figures i have read are correct.

Similar story in other far east countries such as thailand,vietnam and china.
Off Tropic - P 2501
I understand that HJ, and i can see why many Brits choose places like Thailand and the Philipines to live.If the lifestyle there suits you then go for it.

I was just trying to illustrate the other side of the story after Growlers post about how wonderful life is and how cheap consumer items are in these areas. It isn't like this for a large proportion of Philipinos or Thais, and Growlers posts often make Britain sound like a run down dump and the Philipines the greatest place on earth.The truth is very different.

However, going back to motoring - I do not know of any company/importer who is currently bringing in thai goods and selling at uk prices.Surely if the opportunity were that obvious someone would have grabbed it by now?
thailand exports - car parts - Dalglish
But might be that a Backroomer tells me the whole thing is
already sewn up.

>>

answer to your question later, but first:

hj, do not give up. no harm in setting up in competition even if someone is already doing it. your unique selling advantage would be inside knowledge of both countries.

now, answer to your question - hope this is of some help. it is the best info that i can find:

figures as at november 2003. (i.e. one year ago)
motor cars, motor vehicles, parts and accesories contribute to the highest exports from thailand to uk.
in november 2003, that represented an import income at 1million baht a month over 11 months, and an annual growth rate of 53%.

hj - so there is scope for you to be part of that phenomenal growth curve.

sourced from -
www.trade.uktradeinvest.gov.uk/thailand/profile/03...l
www.trade.uktradeinvest.gov.uk/files/thailand_top1...s