Help! Fiesta (OHV) thermostat - GrahamF1
Just doing the coolant change on my girlfriend's Fiesta. It's the 1.3 OHV engine.

Anyone know how you get the thermostat out? I've removed the thermostat housing, and now can't get it out! The manual says to 'compress and withdraw thermostat retaining clip' but doesn't show a picture. I can't see any sort of clip anywhere!

Help!
Help! Fiesta (OHV) thermostat - Civic8
Just a thought and maybe wrong..IIRC it has the round wire type circlip. this is difficult to see.. what you need is pointed screwdriver ie one that isnt flathead/crosspoint.run it around thermostat housing on top of thermostat..you should come to a gap in the wire/circlip. you need to prise the the clip out into the open/possibly by using another driver to prevent it turning in housing.then use a flathead get between housing and clip.if you do this as you work round it..it will pop out about two thirds round. or use pliers on it pull up while turning.If wrong and no help disregard this??
--
Steve
Help! Fiesta (OHV) thermostat - big davey
Hi, I don't think this is the type with a clip, i've just changed a one, the thermostat was jammed in, if you slot a large screwdriver under the old thermostat bridge and lever up, it will come with a pop.
good luck.
Help! Fiesta (OHV) thermostat - mfarrow
The haynes manual I've got says to insert a knife blade around the edge of the thermostat to break the bond with the housing. I suppose this depends on age. What year is the car?
Help! Fiesta (OHV) thermostat - Galaxy
I can't remember there being any sort of clip on the thermostat on the OHV engine. It's just the top half of the housing that holds it in place. However, as others have said, it does, over a period of time, corrode itself into the lower part of the housing.

I would think grabbing the thermostat bridge with a large pair of pliers and pulling should do the trick. Check that the housing isn't corroded through, the one on my Dad's Fiesta was which produced a very fine water spray when the system was pressurised at operating temperature. This is quite a common problem, apparently.

It's the OHC engine that uses a wire clip to hold the thermostat in place, but in this engine the stat is mounted horizontally, so it needs to be retained.

Galaxy
Help! Fiesta (OHV) thermostat - madf
Having done the job last year I can confirm there is no clip. I used brute ignorance: a 6 inch srewdriver through the middle of the thermostat (near the ball) moved it easily.

madf