Bora's bulbs - Sparrow
A friend of mine has a VW Bora - seems a nice enough car however now one of the brake lights has gone. Look in the book to find what bulb to buy and it says that all bulbs should be replaced by the dealer.
Is this a scam so the dealer can charge £15 for a £2 light bulb?
Or is it really impossible for the user to fit a replacement?

What happens in France when you are supposed to carry spare bulbs if:
a) the manual doesn't tell you what bulb to buy.
b) you can't fit it yourself anyway.

By the way, anybody know how to do it?
Bora's bulbs - Stuartli
I've got a Bora and changing a rear light bulb is slightly more involved than just removing the covering panel on my previous Jettas.

From inside the boot remove the required side panel trim (it's half way up on each side); depress the retaining tabs (two) and remove bulbholder from the light unit. Bulbs are bayonet types; fit required bulb and reverse the procedure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Bora's bulbs - Stuartli
PS

The bulbs mentioned in the manual regarding deal fitting are those used in the headlights - in particular the gas-filled types.
Bora's bulbs - Stuartli
PPS

Although I've not needed to replace any bulbs so far, I've always carried the standard bayonet 21/5w brake lights in the glovebox as spares; seems no reason to assume that VW has switched to any other type.
Bora's bulbs - borasport20
The bora manual 'recommends' that bulbs are changed by a dealer, but if they are 'ordinary' bulbs, they can be changed like any other ....

But, particularly with the fronts, there is precious little room in which to do it - I think of myself as being of 'compact' build with small hands, and when I changed mine, it was a struggle.

If you can find a lady with long, strong fingers, you've cracked it !