Dealer indifference - Vin {P}
I recently road tested a Mazda 6. The procedure was: go into showroom, give them driving licence and passport, which they photocopied, sign a simple form stating that I'd pay speeding/parking fines, etc, and away I go with SWMBO and two kids in back.

Wifey and I went today to sort out same in Mondeo with my local Ford Dealership.

"No, sir, I'll have to come with you".

"But there are four of us"

"Ah, Sir, it's a five seater"

"But that means my wife will be sitting in the back between the car seats. Also, she won't get a chace to drive because I can't fit in that gap"

"Well, then, Sir, I'll go for a drive with her, then with you"

"But we want to try it for a couple of hours - try in on the motorway, round town, along a B road; try to get some idea of whether we'd like to live with it"

"Can't do it, Sir"

"Honestly?"

"There is one way, Sir. What you do is call us a few days before you want to go. We'll give you the registration number, then you call your insurance company and set up your own insurance, at your own cost. Then, come in, show us your insurance document and you can borrow it for a couple of hours"

"You're joking"

"No, Sir"

"Well, we're not going to be buying a car from you, then"

"I'm sorry to hear that, Sir"

"Cheerio"

V
Dealer indifference - Pugugly {P}
Buy the Mazda - then e-mail this thread's link to the Ford Dealer and see what he thinks.
Dealer indifference - Dalglish
Buy the Mazda

>>

yes. because
doesnt't ford own both companies?
and isnn't mazda6 = mondeo ??

as for the dealer, he has made it politely clear that he does not want vin's business. free country.

Dealer indifference - Dynamic Dave

Is the car you're buying new or used?

If used, it might not have any road tax on it, hence the dealer will need to go with you because of the trade plates.
Dealer indifference - Felix
Same thing happened to me this morning at a Renault dealer when looking for a used Megane, and the salesman insisted on coming with me, then you have to listen to him drivelling away in the passenger seat (they HAVE to sit in the front) distracting you from deciding whether or not you like the car. What does he think I'm going to do with it - I'm not exactly boy racer material anymore...

Why do they do it? They make some lame statement about insurance, but they don't all do this (well not quite all anyway)

Chunter, Chunter....
Just thinking out loud... can we use the Backroom to give good publicity to those dealers that let you out on your own, like your Mazda one? Or is that breaking forum rules?
Dealer indifference - Dynamic Dave
Felix,

Good publicity is allowed.

DD.
Don't you think that this might attract the "wrong" sort of ccustomer......
Don't you think that this might attract the "wrong" sort of
ccustomer......

Humm.... well if I was a 17 year old asking this sort of service of a Ferrari dealer then I might agree with you. I think we'll permit the dealer a bit of discretion here...?
"Good publicity is allowed."

In that case, as I've made no comment as to whether I think this is good or bad publicity:

The Mazda dealer in question is Southampton Mazda, Bitterne, Southampton. Superb service, though as related elsewhere I wasn't enamoured of the Mazda 6.

The Ford Dealer is...

Go on, Dave, can I tell? (I haven't made any comment at all on whether I though this to be good or bad service, simply related a conversation).

I await judgment from on high...

V
Dealer indifference - cheddar
Funny, I got a mailing recently offering me a 48 hours test drive in any Ford of my choice.

I am sure the salesman does not accompany in this instance after all he has probably done his Tesco's shop, does not want to look around a garden centre, prefers Indian to Chinese, would not find our sofa bed that comfortable, and does not really want to visit my inlaws for Sunday lunch.

Dealer indifference - SjB {P}
When I decided to purchase a Honda Hornet 600, which was a few weeks after I had passed my bike test, I went along to Carnells in Milton Keynes. They were not prepared to give me a test ride, even accompanied by salesman on another bike, and the salesman used every sharp trick in the book to try and get me to buy there and then. This was real Pendle technique Plus.

I walked, and hardly think it surprising that if this attitude prevailed at the other branches, they went totally out of business a year or so back, which they did. (Hence feeling free to name them)

I then walked in to Brian Grays, a (then) small Honda and Yamaha dealer in High Wycombe. Not only was I treated with great courtesy, but price negotiations were open and honest. I made it clear that with parallel imports abounding then, I could save a hill of money buying one, in the knowledge that a lot would have to go wrong before I was out of pocket. I also intended to keep the bike for many years, so relative resale value was not an issue. I also however made it clear that I wanted him to stay in business, so didn't expect to screw every last penny out of him. I ended up paying just £150 more than for a parallel bike, and as a result (Honda UK bike) got a terrific (it was) free two day MAC training course thrown in.

Anyway, what really impressed me was that knowing I had only just passed my test, they were quite happy for me to have an extended, unaccompanied, test ride. "Please don't bend it. We have to pay Honda UK for any damage" was the only comment.

Not surprisingly (coz the bike was fantastic too!) I bought one, which six years later I still have, and to this day I still use Brian Gray (now called Powerbiking) for all my biking purchases and servicing.

They've now moved to large, glossy, premises, but the attitude towards customers is the same, and they deserve their success. Brian Gray himself even deserves the bright yellow Lamborghini that he now turns up for work in!
Dealer indifference - NARU
Vin - If this is a new purchase/company car then wander over to the Ford Talkback club, sign up and they'll let you have whatever car you want to borrow for 24 hours. They even deliver it to your door. Its not done by the local dealer - the cars come from their central stock.
Dealer indifference - Adam {P}
I went to buy a Focus from the dealer and wasn't allowed a test drive full stop!
--
Adam
Dealer indifference - v8man
As good publicity is allowed, then I recomend J S Gedge in Hastings (bike dealers).Over the years I have been allowed extended test rides on any bike that takes my fancy. The only proviso is the bike is returned with a full tank - not too unreasonable. I have bought a couple of new machines from them and the service is always friendly.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Excellent Cheddar !
Dealer indifference - cheddar
Pugugly, thanks though I think my attempt at humour deflected from the point. That is you can get 24 or 48 hour test drives in any Ford, from Ford as opposed to the dealer.
Dealer indifference - Clanger
The test drive I took in the citroen C8 was preceded by a conversation that went like this as far as I remember;

Me "Can I have a test drive in a C8 tomorrow please?"
Salesman "Of course, but I'm afraid we've only got 1 in, it's a diesel automatic"
Me "That's not a problem, I just want to take it down the motorway, see if goes round corners, mess around with the seats, try to park it and see if it fits in the yard at home"
Salesman (peers over mound of paper) "Right, you don't need me do you?"
Me "Certainly not, you look busy enough. I want to use it at night; any problem if I bring it back the day after?"
Salesman "Right, I'll just ask the general Manager to clear his stuff out and use another car."
Me (thoroughly TIC) "It'll be doing about 180 miles; I won't need to fill it up will I?"
Salesman (grins) "You're pushing it a bit aren't you?"
Me "Is there any other way?"

It was full of diesel when I picked it up and I bought from that dealer a couple of weeks later.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Dealer indifference - pmh
Honda Jazz (early on), (I wrote up a road test that appeared on here), salesman was apparently dealing with another customer and just tossed me a set of keys and said "bring it back"! No name, details or anything.

If it hadnt been the wrong set of keys, he would not even have realised that the car I had left on the the forecourt was £25 worth of old 340. 2 hours later I returned it, intact.

(Honda St Albans, Hatfield Rd for reference.)

I may visit them again and see if the new models are any better.

pmh (was peter)
Had the same kind of experience a few years back when I was interested in a Seat Leon Cupra. I was so bowled over I ordered one on my return. No point in giving the dealer any publicity, it doesn't exist any more!
Dealer indifference - PW
Wasnt part of Richardsons group was it? Bought my Seat through their Wellington branch, was one of the best dealerships have ever found. Really sorry to see they've gone out of business.
Dealer indifference - Bill Payer
I had very similar with a Jazz from Saunders in Chester.

I recently tried to get an Accord Diesel, which will be a company car, so I emailed Honda asking for an extended test drive. Someone rang me up form Honda head office & said they don't do them. I then contacted Saunders who said 'of course they do'. I filled in a little form and Honda delivered a car for 3 days!!
Dealer indifference - Kevin
Vin,
have you tried fleet management in NH? They can give you the contact numbers to arrange 48hr test drives for most vehicles on the current car list.

Kevin...
Kevin,

Thanks for the tip (for anyone who doesn't understand: Kevin and I work for the same big, blue company). I'll do that.

V
Dealer indifference - Altea Ego
Vin

yes its on the w3 site. The leasing compnay sets them up for you.

Vin
yes its on the w3 site. The leasing compnay sets them
up for you.

If you are in receipt of your
1/read first
2/read second

"yes its on the w3 site. The leasing compnay sets them up for you."

Gawd, You're not another one of us are you?

V
not me gov, what ever gave you that idea? and if anyone asks If I have found you on blue pages I shall completely deny its existence
Dealer indifference - commerdriver
Form a flippin' club guys how many of us are there??
The need to have your package already looks to be a bit of a pain, I spent about 3-4 months testing last time.
Dealer indifference - Truckosaurus
Form a flippin' club guys how many of us are there??
The need to have your package already looks to be a
bit of a pain, I spent about 3-4 months testing last
time.

I'm another company man. :-)
Dealer indifference - Mark (RLBS)
This neighbourhood is going right down hill.
>This neighbourhood is going right down hill.

Hey,

I'd like you to know that I've had lots of email from other forum members who obviously appreciate my posts, telling me I'm full of wit.. or something like that.

Kevin...
Dealer indifference - Pezzer
Me too !
I make that 6 so far.
Dealer indifference - commerdriver
I can feel a mini (or even a virtual) get together coming on
There could be 7 - someone called AS400 has just joined.
This prompted me to take a look at the company car list I downloaded a couple of months ago.

There were 4139 different models/makes to choose from as of 17/09 and that excludes all vehicles from one major European manufacturer because of reliability/repair problems.

Plenty to choose from.

Kevin...
Big Blue = HAL once removed.
Dealer indifference - Hugo {P}
When I was recently looking to buy a van I was convinced I was going to buy from one of the huge van sales internat companies.

I was told that the Renault Trafic/Vivaro/primastar etc was one to go for so I started to compare prices on them.

"Hang on" I thought, "I ought to have a look at one before I decide that's what I want."

So I contacted Mumfords of Plymouth who do Nissans and Renaults and asked to see one. "We may be pushing it for a test drive sir as both our vans are out at the moment but you may have a look at an unregistered one" was the response. Well as I was keen to see it so I took up the offer as I wanted to discuss deals with them anyway.

When I turned up the demonstrater had arrived back early so I went with the salesman for a quick spin. They would have been happy for me to drive it on my own but I felt that the salesman being with me was a plus in case any questions came to mind whilst driving it.

Having gone there with the express intent of seeing one only to buy it over the net, I eventually was persuaded to buy off them.

The service is excellent and the price I negotiated was a little bove what I could have got from Vans Direct but, when I had a problem with it two days after picking it up, I was dealt with very well. On my arrival the sales manager got up from his desk and immediately went and fetched the service receptionist and a technician was on the spot with a diagnostics kit in his hand. The diagnosis and rectification took 20 minuits.

The second problem warrented 2 returns. Each time I had their demonstrater for one day. The second time it went back I actually wanted to keep it overnight as this was more convenient for me. The were very accommodating in this respect and I had it for two days.

Although they would have happily done the warranty repairs on a vehicle I bought elsewhere, the fact that it's one of theirs I suspect encourages them to look after it.

Hugo
Dealer indifference - Happy Blue!
Popped into a Hyundai dealers in August. Just out of the blue, but I knew in advance they had a diesel auto Trajet second hand on the lot. 'Can I have a test drive?' - yep - have you got your driving licence with you - OK here are the keys..

Would have bought from them, but dreadful PX deal against another dealer.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Dealer indifference - DP
I wouldn't even consider buying a car or a bike without driving or riding it first (except maybe if I was intentionally buying a non-runner)

I've never had a problem getting a test drive, although bike dealers are often reluctant unless you're serious about buying. When I bought my ZX7R, They asked that I left a (fully refundable) deposit of £250 to secure it, and when I went back to ride it, they filled the tank, chucked me the key and just asked that I was back within an hour and a half. It worked, because I did a deal as soon as I got back.

A lot of bike dealers now do a "sale or return" policy with used bikes, instead of test rides. You buy the bike and then get a day to bring it back if you don't like it. A major pain in the donkey though when you have to sort out insurance and possibly road tax, only to chuck the bike back because you don't like it. Unfortunately, a lot of the smaller independents genuinely can't afford "any rider" test ride cover.

Car test drives (Ford, VW, Mazda, Peugeot) have never been an issue.

Dealer indifference - Andy P
I've had different experiences with two Honda dealers. My local - a salesman in his twenties, accompanied me on the test drive (a £10K Civic Sport) and when I couldn't decide there and then he made it perfectly clear he felt I was wasting my time.

Second dealer - Two Mills Honda, was the complete opposite. Saw a blue Accord Type-S at the back of the showroom behind several other cars.

As it was tucked away, I asked if there was another Type-S outside I could take for a test drive. The salesman said no, but within a matter of seconds he'd rounded up a couple of other salesman, moved a Jag and a Porsche out of the way and the Type-S was outside. He then handed me the keys, told me of a few good roads and left me too it.

You can guess which dealer got my business.

Andy
I was turned down a test (accompanied or otherwise) in a Golf GTi back in 86. Went back to my BM dealer and bought a 320. Offered a test drive but turned it down. I was dressed down for both visits. V/W dealer went bust a couple of years ago. Shame.
Dealer indifference - David Horn
When I bought my Xsara (at 18) I strolled into the dealership, chatted to a salesman who showed me round the cars at the price I wanted. Found one I liked, he handed me the keys, stuck some trade plates in, and said bring it back in an hour or two.

He didn't ask to see a driving license or anything, but I did buy the car. :)
Dealer indifference - blue_haddock
I had several instances a few years ago (me in early 20's) when i've been into dealers looking at cars on a saturday morning in jeans and a t-shirt and got completely blanked by the salesmen.

I got a totally different welcome when i walked back in during the week all suited and booted to see the dealer principle or the fleet manager with a view to buying lots of cars off them.

And yes i did usually let them know about the crap salesmen.
Well, the saga continues.

Through my firm I asked for a test drive of a 2.5L Mondeo. I've been pleased with the one I got for the wife, but it has shortcomings that I think the 2.5 might resolve.

So, they contacted a Ford dealer ( I believe locally, though not certain ) before Christmas. Then again after Christmas. Still no test drive. I've now given up, so instead of their benefitting from the sale of a new Mondeo 2.5 (on my co car scheme) I'll be buying a secondhand one and taking it elsewhere for servicing.

I wonder what I need to do to get service from Ford Main Dealers?

V

Vin,

With Ford its best to get the test drives through the Ford Co Car drivers club.
Vin,
With Ford its best to get the test drives through the
Ford Co Car drivers club.

Yep, that worked for me - FordDrive 100 or something like that it's called, where you get a car for 100hrs (3 days, I suppose). I wanted a Mondeo 2.0TDCi Ghia Auto - they didn't have one but said they get back to me. They rang a few days later with a date a couple of wks away. The car that arrived was brand new - did they really put one on the road just because I asked?
It's nothing to do with the dealers - they deliver the car to you (home or work)& pick it up again.
Dealer indifference - trancer
Does that car club chase you up with sales pitches etc after you have signed up or test driven a car?. I am not quite ready to buy yet and I suspect that the salesmen sense this and steer clear of me.

Sit tight for yet another weary USvsUK comparo.

Whenever I went to US dealers I would get followed around and given the hard sell. Most salesmen stay out on the forecourt and intercept you before you even get to the main showroom. This can get annoying, but a keen salesman can be a bonus sometimes when it comes to arranging test drives or finding a brochure etc.

In the UK I tend to be ignored, if I go in the showroom and appear interested in a car I *might* get someone, usually a receptionist, asking if I need any help. I have never been offered a test drive of any car I have inquired about and most salespeople don't stick around long enough for me to get through all my questions leading up to the "do you have a demonstrator" one.
Does that car club chase you up with sales pitches etc
after you have signed up or test driven a car?.
I am not quite ready to buy yet and I suspect
that the salesmen sense this and steer clear of me.

I think you get sent a survey, and maybe a follow-up call to check everything was OK, but it's from a call centre, not from a salesman. It's good to get a bit of interest - I've had other corporate demo's and they never even follow them up.
In the UK I tend to be ignored, if I
go in the showroom and appear interested in a car I
*might* get someone, usually a receptionist, asking if I need any
help. I have never been offered a test drive of
any car I have inquired about and most salespeople don't stick
around long enough for me to get through all my questions
leading up to the "do you have a demonstrator" one.

This is pretty typical of my experience too. The problem is that car salesmen are not salesmen at all, they're order takers. They think everyone is a timewaster. I guess the only way around it is to be hard-faced about it and pretend to be seriously interested.
Dealer indifference - Orson {P}
Eric Stead Rover of Sheffield are good. I turned up and asked to look at a 2nd hand 800 on the forecourt, and the reply was "certainly sir, would you like a spin?"
Me "Go on then."
"Ok, I'll put some plates on, bring it back when you've decided to buy it. Have fun!"

And I bought it. Their service dept were also good when it kept going wrong (under warranty).

Compare that with the local Alfa dealers, who were not that bothered when Mrs O and I pitched up looking for a 147. Especially not when it emerged we were cash buyers, rather than expensive commission-earning finance buyers.

O
Dealer indifference - Robin
We have been looking at various cars over the last week or so. Quite a varied experience really. Both times we went to the local Ford dealer the salesman was straight over to us; at one Honda place there were no cars in the showroom and no salesmen either - the one we did rustle up didn't look happy to be dragged outside to look at cars. At another Honda dealer we were offered a test drive of a nice new Accord or CR-V on the spot; I only declinced cos it was getting a bit dark. Audi were immediately attentive and Volvo were similar. VW were awful - I wandered around the showroom opening cars for ages and was studiously ignored. I have found that going with my wife normally results in much more attentive salesmen (no funny comments: I guess it is because a couple appear to be more serious buyers than a bloke on his own).

Only thing we need to do now is decide what to buy: Passat, Accord or Mondeo. A varied list: would like an Accord but will probably spend less dosh on a Mondeo.