Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - Daz
HI,

I understand there is something which can put in to the engine which will temporarily cure a failed head gasket as my car is blowing out a ton of steam and won't go anywhere at the mo.

Any advice much appreciated
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - mark999
Hi,
I'm no expert but if it was my car I would stop using it and get it repared immediately. You cah do loads of damage to an engine if you run out of water and it overheats.
If you must keep using it take pleanty of water with you and be really carefull if you need to top up.
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - madux
I understand there is something which can be put in to the
engine

I'm afraid it's called a new head gasket. Sorry.
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - bka1
Try 'CarGo Seal-up', designed for just such an occasion.
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - T Lucas
Remove the thermostat.
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - v8man
Removing the stat simply makes the engine run cold and hence burn more fuel. There could also be oil getting into the cooling circuit and vice versa.

Change the head gasket and avoid the posibility of scrapping your engine.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - Stuartli
Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with something like BarLeaks, which is intended to seal a radiator/cooling system leak?

There are liquid/paste type products which, when used instead of a normal gasket, form a gasket themselves; however the proper product is much more preferable.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
To be honest, hacked off with the car as this is the second time in a year the head has gone. I want a temporary measure so that I can trade the car in (unethical I know) for another but then again dealers get all they deserve.
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - Hugo {P}
Moving over to Technical Matters - Now

Hugo - BR Moderator
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - bka1
.>> To be honest, hacked off with the car as this is
the second time in a year the head has gone. I
want a temporary measure so that I can trade the car
in (unethical I know) for another but then again dealers get
all they deserve.

>>
CarGo Sealup is a permanent repair for head gaskets without removing the head. I've heard of it used for restoring vintage tractors, so I guess if it works for that then it'll work for you. You add it to the coolant & let it find the gaps. Do a google & I'm sure it'll come up.
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - v8man
'CarGo Sealup is a permanent repair for head gaskets without removing the head. I've heard of it used for restoring vintage tractors, so I guess if it works for that then it'll work for you. You add it to the coolant & let it find the gaps. Do a google & I'm sure it'll come up'.

This assumes that the head is blowing around a water channel. It may not be and so the leak stopper will be useless. If this is the second time this has happened then there will be an explanation. Why not get a second opinion? Head gaskets don't just pack up as a rule. It may be that the head is warped and wasn't checked first time round.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - Hugo {P}
To be honest, hacked off with the car as this is
the second time in a year the head has gone. I
want a temporary measure so that I can trade the car
in (unethical I know) for another but then again dealers get
all they deserve.

Without wishing to sound sancemonious, you I'm sure would expect anyone selling you a car to be up front about it, so why is the dealer exempt from receiving such courtesy? After all they have to make a living as well. You may get less for the car but a genuine dealer will appreciate your honesty and you may be helped with your purchase as a result.

In addition he will have the chance to fix the problem before he sells the car on, rather than giving someone else the problem of owning a lemon. Cheaper and less hassle all round.

I am in self employment and would not readily deal with a client a second time who had deliberatey witheld info regarding a job I had estimated for. If the client felt there were problems with the job in hand I expect them to tell me. This way I know the problems are there and can allow for them. Otherwise if I find them mid stream this can push the cost up beyond what it would have cost if the facts were available to start with.

Alternitively, why not fix it before you sell it on?

Hugo
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - jc
Can you publish the reg. no. so we know not to buy it!!
OK, decided to come clean, will be up front with dealers.
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - JohnPug
If the HG has failed twice in a year, surely the first repair wasn't done properly? If done by a reputable garage, I would take it back and demand another go at fixing it.
Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - madf
What car? Rover or Peugeot / Citroen perhaps?

madf

Temp cure needed for broken head gasket - Dynamic Dave
What car? Rover or Peugeot / Citroen perhaps?

From a forum search, I think Daz is refering to his Omega.