Cost of anti-freeze change - Drivethru
Could anyone advise about how much it would cost to have the anti-freeze replaced in a 1l Micra, year 2000?
Cost of anti-freeze change - Doc
I did this very job last weekend.

I think a garage would charge about 1 hour labour plus A/F.
I paid £9.99 for Halfords 5-year.

Cost of anti-freeze change - Stuartli
Before you have such work done have you checked whether your Micra had a long life version of anti-freeze provided when it was built?

That's the case with my VW, built in 1999, which came with permanent coolant - only requirement is that any topping up, if ever necessary, is at the same strength i.e. at least 40 per cent coolant mixture.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Cost of anti-freeze change - P 2501
That's the case with my VW, built in 1999, which came with permanent coolant - only requirement is that any topping up, if ever necessary, is at the same strength i.e. at least 40 per cent coolant mixture.

There will be a glut of second hand vw's with rusted engines hitting the market soon then.
>>There will be a glut of second hand vw's with rusted engines hitting the market soon then.>>

Why?

My VW's coolant is as clean as a whistle and has never needed topping up during the 18 months I've owned it to date.

The manual is quite specific about the permanent anti-freeze's standards and equally about ensuring that, if it has to be topped up, that the mixture's ratio is equal or better than the original.

Mind you I live on the coast in a part of the country where mild winters are the norm rather than the exception...:-))

Cost of anti-freeze change - Peter
FYI, ATS in Bristol charged £38.00 to replace the coolant and brake fluid on a Rover 420.

Give your local branch a ring.
Cost of anti-freeze change - smokie
I read somewhere that Vauxhall do a winter check - anti-freeze, check all hoses etc for £45.
Cost of anti-freeze change - Alan
Doc must have a better Halfords than me. They only had standard antifeeze on the shelf so I asked an assistant who said she had never heard of anything else let alone stock it. I found the staff there as helpful and polite as they are knowlegeable
Cost of anti-freeze change - Aprilia
Use Nissan OEM antifreeze ONLY (unless you like changing waterpumps). Its about £3.50 a litre and you need about 3 litres.
Its an easy DIY job or about 1/2 hour at a garage.
Cost of anti-freeze change - tunacat
Why? What special ingredient does Nissan antifreeze have in it? Or what do they make their waterpumps out of that requires this additional substance?
Why? What special ingredient does Nissan antifreeze have in it?
Or what do they make their waterpumps out of that
requires this additional substance?

Been covered many times before and is in the FAQ on this site. Do a search.
Cost of anti-freeze change - henry k
Doc must have a better Halfords than me. They only had
standard antifeeze on the shelf so I asked an assistant who
said she had never heard of anything else let alone stock
it. I found the staff there as helpful and polite as
they are knowlegeable

>>
Four Halfords I have been in, one a very small one, all stocked it. I used it when I changed mine and have bought top up since.
They changed to colour of the contents and the colour of the bottle. As expected it costs quite a bit more.
Cost of anti-freeze change - Dynamic Dave
I read somewhere that Vauxhall do a winter check - anti-freeze,
check all hoses etc for £45.

Smokie,

WinterCare is only available on the following Vauxhall models up to 10 years of age, or 100,000 miles from first registration (whichever occurs first): Agila, Corsa, Tigra, Meriva, Astra, Zafira, Cavalier, Vectra, Calibra, Signum, Omega, VX220, Frontera, Sintra, Corsavan, Astravan, Combo.

From the T's & C's of vauxhall.co.uk/masterfit/offers/winterOffers.jhtml
Cost of anti-freeze change - Chas{P}
This link explains the difference between the two types of antifreeze available.

HTH

Charles

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=19701&...e
Cost of anti-freeze change - Drivethru
Thanks for all the advice, I checked in the Nissan manual and it says to use ethylene glycol based antifreeze and doesn't mention anything about the low silicon version so I'm still a bit confused as to why the normal stuff is bad for a Nissan. The antifreeze which has been in since new is the blue kind.
You'll probably be able to buy it cheaper at one of your local motor factors rather than a retail outlet.
The antifreeze which has been in since new
is the blue kind.

Have you had the car from new? I would have expected a 2000 MY Nissan to have the Nissan OEM EG stuff ('L200'), which is bright green.

For Japanese cars stick with their OEM antifreeze - its not much more expensive than the generic stuff and the composition IS different (the difference is in the corrosion inhibitor - the Japanse tend to use phosphates, rather than silicates).
>>My Micra handbook and the Haynes manual only specify ethylene glycol based antifreeze to BS 6580.>>

Aprilia. That seems clear enough to me.
Thanks for all the advice, I checked in the Nissan manual
and it says to use ethylene glycol based antifreeze and doesn't
mention anything about the low silicon version

My Micra handbook and the Haynes manual only specify ethylene glycol based antifreeze to
BS 6580.

Halfords Advanced Protection A/F that I used is ethylene glycol based to BS 6580 and is 'silicate free organic acid formula.'

It would appear that it therefore satisfies both schools of thought.

Halfords Advanced Protection A/F that I used is ethylene glycol based
to BS 6580 and is 'silicate free organic acid formula.'
It would appear that it therefore satisfies both schools of thought.

I simply cannot understand why people will not use OEM antifreeze. The cost is seldom much more than 'aftermarket' antifreeze and the penalty for using the wrong stuff can be expensive.

The OAT (organo-acid technology) antifreeze is *not* compatible with regular Nissan antifreeze. If you want to swap to OAT then the engine cooling system should be thoroughly flushed to remove all traces of regular EG antifreeze. As far as I know Nissan don't use OAT and it is unlikely that they have tested for compatibility. I would certainly not use any OAT antifreeze in an engine that hadn't been tested for compatibility. There have been lots of problems with this in the US with people using this stuff in older engines.
Don't Halfords put a warning on the container?
>> Don't Halfords put a warning on the container?

The container says that it is suitable to use in all engines and can improve heat transfer in older engines.

>> >> Don't Halfords put a warning on the container?
>>
The container says that it is suitable to use in all
engines and can improve heat transfer in older engines.

Frankly I'm amazed at that. Do a websearch on 'Dexcool' (Texaco's US-brand OAT antifreeze) and you see that there is currently a 'class action' against Texaco on account of the damage this stuff has done to older engines. Similarly, mixing OAT with regular antifreeze can lead to a 'jelly' or 'sludge' forming in the coolant passages and there have been reports of the OAT attacking joints on radiators on older cars.

For a Japanese engine you need to use a silicate-free antifreeze (this means the OEM Japanese stuff, or a European brand based on BASF's G-05 'Glysantin' formulation).

The reason that Japanese cars do not use silicate-based antifreezes is that although they are good corrosion inhibitors, the silicates are very abrasive and cause erosion of aluminium parts - particularly water pump impellers and the soft seals on the shaft. Coolant passages are often very small and so flow rates are high, especially on small high-reving engines - this causes erosion of the passages.
Phosphates are better, but were traditionally avoided in Europe because of the very hard water often found here. In hard water areas the phosphates can precipitate out, giving excessive solids in the coolant. In the US and Japan the water is much softer and hence silicate-free, phosphate-based antifreeze is the norm.

For a Japanese car in the UK you should use a silicate free formulation mixed with distilled water (or a pre-mixed antifreeze).

You *can* use a silicate-free OAT antifreeze, but give the system a thorough flush before introducing it. Personally I would not use an OAT unless the vehicle came from the factory with OAT fill.

Given the low frequency of antifreeze changes, and the modest cost involved, I would always go for the OEM stuff.
Cost of anti-freeze change - nick
''For a Japanese car in the UK you should use a silicate free formulation mixed with distilled water (or a pre-mixed antifreeze).''

Aprilia,
Any idea if this will apply to Subarus? I am about to change the stuff in mine which has a fssh, and is blue. I asked at the main dealer what they use and was told Massey-Ferguson (they are main agents for them too) and that any good quality glycol-based stuff would do.

Cheers

Nick
Details:

www.halfords.com/opd_product_details.asp?id=17558&...1

Cost of anti-freeze change - Sprice
You are probably confused as to which antifreeze to use in your micra, best you play it safe and buy it from a dealer! Alot of Japanese brands like you to only use their own fluids, such as pas fluid etc.
Check this out Stuart Li-

(sean was a backroom poster who works for VW)

These "fill for life" coolants have been around for a while and they are ALL garbage.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=14025

Get it changed!
Cost of anti-freeze change - Mapmaker
Sealed for life is a common marketing ploy. It actually means 'won't fail in the period of time when you might have a comeback against the manufacturer.' For the sake of those of us who drive older cars, please change it! Remember, cars lasting longer means that you are helping to save the planet from environmental catastrophe [/green activist mode] In addition to the examples above:

Our '89 Toyota Hilux: reason for write-off - gearbox failure. Gearbox oil change interval: none specified.

W123 Mercs: common problem - noisy diff. Diff oil change interval: lifetime. After 20 or more years since leaving the factory you have to sympathise with the poor moving parts.

Too right mapmaker. Even quite clued up people seem to fall into this trap.

Manufacturers should not really be allowed to do it.