Vectra Direction Indicator Fault - brianrh
I am having problems with the direction indicators of my 1999 T Vectra 1.8, or more precisely the right hand side indicators. More & more frequently the RHS indicator stays on (not flashing) but the fault is cleared by switching on the hazard indicators then off. Sometimes re-applying the RHS indicator will clear it but often not.
Has anyone come across this fault before?
Vectra Direction Indicator Fault - Dynamic Dave

Sounds like a sticky relay, which is located in the fusebox. Turn on the hazzards and you should be able to easily locate it. There should also be a diagram on the back of the fusebox lid that'll show you where it is.

Can you clarify that the indicators on the RHS remain lit when you cancel them, or that they just don't flash when you indicate right?

Next time it happens, try tapping the relay to see if the fault rectifies itself.
Thanks for your resonse DD

The RHS indicator remains lit when you cancel them but if you click the indicator on again you can seem to half the flashing rate sometimes. I've also got a feeling that the RHS indicator has come on at least once without the indicator being operated. Sorry if I'm a bit vague but I am still trying to get a handle on the characteristics of the problem. As the left works perfectly I wonder if there is one relay per side.

Do they have electronic flashing devices or do they still rely on heating a bimetallic strip to get the required flash rate?

Cheers

Brian
Vectra Direction Indicator Fault - Deryck Tintagel
The Vectra has a multitimer module in the fusebox to control the indicators and is all-elecronic. However, there are two relays - one for each side. My Vectra has a slightly different click depnding on the direction I'm indicating. I would guess that the relays are identical so it should be possible to swap them over in the fusebox to see if the problem follows the relay - double check the part numbers / pinout on the relay body.

I'll check the schematics tonight - must leave a copy at work!

It could be the multitimer module but see what the relays do first!
I've just been outside in the drizzle and checked in the fuse box. Everything is exactly as you suggested even down to tapping the relay to have an effect and swapping them over to prove the fault. I found that holding the case of the suspect relay and flexing it would bring on the fault/stop the fault. So for £5.29 delivered I shall shortly have a new one on the way from Autovaux.

So thank you gentlemen for your spot on diagnosis. Now what are you like with Fiat Punto problems?
Sorry - Vauxhall electrics are my speciality. Good to hear you have sorted the problem
Deryck may I pick your brains further?

In the 4 years that I have owned the Vectra, the starter motor has always seem to crank the engine over slowly. On top of this it seems that the ECU doen't allow the engine to start until a certain number of engine revolutions have passed; this always gives the impression of the car struggling to start.

I have checked the usual things but it always seems to point at the starter motor. Have you any observations or comments on this?

Thanks.

Brian
I assume that the battery is good?

Does the car run well once started? Thinking along the lines of crank / cam sensors

Does time of year have any effect - cold weather as opposed to warm?

No funny burning smells from the ignition switch? I had the switch start smoking on the old Cavalier and cleaning it helped the starting although this was more of not starting rather than slow starting. It was about 10 years old too, so probably not a problem on your car.

I wonder if the problem is with the immobiliser. My Vectra didn't want to start one morning even though the engine was cranking. Only did it once and lock-unlock cycle on the remote cleared it.

For over 60,000 miles the car has been the same. The battery is still good and the car starts every time. However the starter just seems to turn the engine over slowly summer or winter the same. It just seems to take a bit longer to start than it should. You would think that the gearing of the starter motor as lower than that of other cars.

I just wondered with your experience of Vauxhalls if this was a characteristic of the make.

Thanks.

Brian
Having re-read your questions, I think that your car is similar to mine - always starts but seems to take longer than it should. I sometimes think that mine is taking longer to start than it used to when I first bought it - usually two "turns". I would say that there isn't anything to worry about if it is starting OK.

One thing I do is dip the clutch on starting and never touch the accelerator.
Vectra not starting - Deryck Tintagel
Just had a problem with my Vectra not starting - engine cranks but will not fire!

This started on Sunday night having moved the car a few yards so the engine did not get warm. Charged the battery just in case it was a bit weak after trying to start but that wasn't the problem and still the same Monday morning.

The car has now been diagnosed as a sticking throttle valve which confused the engine management! Prior to this the engine was taking a little longer to start (similar to BrianRH) and was lacking power. I am not sure that the two are related as I have not talked to the garage since yesterday. I will report back any useful information.

The garage is cleaning the valve to see how it goes but a new one will be £300