VW Golf Cambelt problems - Doug Isaacs
I've never done a cambelt change before but I thought I'd give it a go on my 1994 MK3 Golf Driver (1.8 8V SPI petrol, code ABS, power steering, no air con). However.....

Actually everything went well except for the first time I think I got the intermediate shaft one tooth out so it ran badly. I re-did the job and engine ran fine, except for a 'whirring' noise. I've traced this to the cambelt rubbing on the alternator pulley that bolts onto the crankshaft sprocket. I've tried another new belt and have also changed the tensioner, no joy. I've turned the engine without the alternator pulley attached and found the belt moves right up to, and past, the edge of the crankshaft sprocket so about 2 mm of the belt is sticking out - hence when the pulley is in place it is rubbing on it. I did not undo any of the crankshaft, camshaft or intermediate shaft sprockets so I can't understand why this is happening. I've even fitted the original belt back on and this is still happening. HELP!

Any ideas much appreciated, my pregnant wife is not enjoying the walk to the station and getting the train to work.
Cheers,
Doug
VW Golf Cambelt problems - Big John
On the 8v engine the tensioner (from what I remember) as side rims which should hold the belt in position, check that this pulley wheel is correctly fitted and does not allow the belt to drift.
You are correct, and I've changed the tensioner and refitted it numerous times, still no solution!
VW Golf Cambelt problems - RichardW
If it has a cambelt driven water pump, check it carefully. When they wear, then tend to tilt over and this can pull off the cambelt,

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
VW Golf Cambelt problems - Peter D
I agree the water pump shaft requires close inspection. For a first timer you surprisingly made no metion of belt tension. What tension are you using on the belt ?? Regards Peter
VW Golf Cambelt problems - Peter D
Are you sure the crankshaft sprocket is not loose, From memory it is on a key way and a locktighed bolt holds the sprocket on. I know there was a problem with these coming loose on diesels but not on the ABS petrol. Regards Peter
VW Golf Cambelt problems - Big John
On an 8 valve 1.8 VW engine I thought the waterpump was fed by the fan belt rather than the cam belt?

Is it missing (now and before you started) a spacer/washer where the crankshaft pulley fastens on?
VW Golf Cambelt problems - M1ke
Having one of these myself I can confirm that the Waterpump is driven by the auxillary belt that also runs the Alternator.

Unfortunately I can give no ideas as to the Cambelt having not done it myself, but reaffixing the auxillary belt around the alternator after doing a waterpump change is a real pig.
One of the first things I thought was perhaps there was a washer or spacer missing between crankshaft sprocket and alternator belt pulley, but both VW and an independent factors tell me there wasn't one.
A suggestion I have had elsewhere is a close inspection of the crankshaft sprocket as a small piece of dirt or similar could throw the belt out. Due to late work nights and poor weather, and a now impending holiday I can't check this for another week but that's my next check.
Apart from this I'm still stuck!
Oh, and in terms of tension I've tried varying tensions of the belt, but I have followed the Haynes manual suggestion of just being able to twist the belt 90 degrees at the front of its run, between acmshaft and intermediate shaft sprockets