This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - Dynamic Dave

**** Poll closed. ****

This weeks poll, as suggested by Stargazer (and partly by NoWheels) is now available.

"Which do you prefer to drive?"

Front wheel drive.
Rear wheel drive.
All wheel drive (permanent not switched).
Dont know, as I have only driven one of the above.
I don't know whether my car has front, rear, or all wheel drive.

This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - NowWheels
Any chnace of a fifth option:

Don\'t know whether my car has front or rear-wheel drive

You\'d be amazed how many drivers fall into that category

{Done. DD.}

This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - andymc {P}
Wow - ok, it's early days for the poll yet, but so far (with 11 votes counted) twice as many have indicated a preference for FWD over RWD. I had expected at least a 50:50, if not a majority preferring RWD, considering this is a motoring enthusiasts' forum. Perhaps a lot of people have simply not had the chance to live with a RWD car - most mainstream cars these days are FWD.

I picked RWD, by the way, based on ownership experience - even though the car was slow, it was great fun to drive once it had been wound up.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - Duchess
Any chnace of a fifth option:
Don\'t know whether my car has front or rear-wheel drive
You\'d be amazed how many drivers fall into that category

Like me for example.

I feel really stupid now......

This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - Vin {P}
"Like me for example.

I feel really stupid now......"

Well, at least you just feel stupid. Could be worse, because knowing which is VITAL in the event of a skid (as in, you can die if you get it wrong). I'd suggest you find out which, then book a morning on a skidpan (about £70 and as much fun as you can have with your clothes on). Might save your life.

V
This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - cholin
My reaction when FWD cars started appearing in numbers was like the caterpillar who looked at a butterfly and said "You'll never catch me up in one of them things." Having now driven FWDs for almost as long as I drove RWDs I don't mind which I drive. Perhaps I'm a person of no discernment.
This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - HF
>>Like me for example.

I feel really stupid now......"

Don't feel stupid - I found out the hard way last winter, luckily not a life-threatening thing but embarrassing nonetheless.

This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - Truckosaurus
Can someone provide an answer to why FWD would be preferable? The only reasons I can think of are: 1) Cost (which is why manufacturers like it) 2) Packaging (although these days there aren't many cars small enough to make use of this) 3) Traction in snow (one day a year in most of England).

Disadvantages: 1) torque steer, 2) lack of grip from brisk starts due to rearward weight transfer 3) no power oversteer :-)

I voted for 4wd in the poll.
This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - Stargazer {P}
Truckosaurus,

I deliberately suggested AWD rather than 4wd....gets away from the chelsea tractor image and allows in the subaru/audi/volvo type
permanent AWD.

Personally I prefer AWD and hate automatic 2wd/4wd selection. Tied it once and hated the split second between the tyres starting to slip and the 4wd cutting in. This was in a small SUV type vehicle
(early Honda CRV?)

StarGazer
This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - patently
Can someone provide an answer to why FWD would be preferable?

I think you got pretty well all of them there, Truckosaurus.

In "disadvantages", you missed out the absence of the opportunity for great fun when the snow is so bad that everyone else stays at home.
This Weeks Poll. Which do you prefer? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Living and working in the Derbyshire Peak district, front wheel drive made a big difference whether you could actually get home.
Rear wheel drive cars would just go sideways into the kerb.
Going from lock to lock with the wheeels spinning on a front wheel drive was often the only way to get going up my road.
Yes I know about starting gently in second and not spinning the wheels , in theory- but what works -works.
My friend an ex-trials driver has a Morgan and a BMW 3 series - both of whch he finds useless in snow.
The only time I bought snow tyres we'd two mild winters on the trot!
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.