Disappearing Dealer - borasport20
Has anybody any advice I can give a colleague ?

last week he paid £100 deposit on a car (by switch). Yesterday, having tried to contact the dealer by mobile & landline all week, he discovered the garage empty, all cars gone and no forwarding address.

The police say at the moment no crime has been committed. Trading Standards are not aware and have had no other complaints.

Has he just got to kiss goodbye to his £100 ?
--
Sept 2004 - 'Britain on the Move'
curious ? see www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Disappearing Dealer - SjB {P}
'Britain on the Move'

Shouldn't that be 'Briton on the move' ?
Disappearing Dealer - Mark (RLBS)
A crime will only have been committed if;

1) he never supplies a car, or at least not in the time scales provided.

2) he knew at the time he took the deposit that he would not be supplying a car.

Unless both of those are true it is a civil issue requiring the normal debt recovery process.

I would certainly advise the bank, although I suspect that you have no protection, but at least they will stop the guy getting any more money from unsuspecting punters through them.

Unless he's really lucky, I'd guess the money is gone.
Disappearing Dealer - Phil I
Your colleague's ton is gone without doubt. You should advise him/her to contact their card issuer as there may be an attempt to clone the debit card which could prove v.nasty.

Happy Motoring Phil I
Disappearing Dealer - Stuartli
He should also have paid the deposit by credit card as the amount would have been covered by the CC company and repaid to him.

The usual amount is £100 upwards but some CC companies have a figure as little as £50.

It's also the reason why you should buy any goods online or in the shops for that figure or more using a credit card. Debit cards normally do not include this feature.
Disappearing Dealer - spikeyhead {p}
He should also have paid the deposit by credit card as
the amount would have been covered by the CC company and
repaid to him.
The usual amount is £100 upwards but some CC companies have
a figure as little as £50.
It's also the reason why you should buy any goods online
or in the shops for that figure or more using a
credit card. Debit cards normally do not include this feature.

The other good reason is that if your card is cloned, then its the CC company chasing you for money, whereas if you use a debit card, they can empty your bank account and you need to chase the bank to recover the money. This is not an easy process.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Disappearing Dealer - Vansboy
If you want the hassle.....

A) Assuming your invoice states the vehicle details & identifies it properly, you have each entered into a contract, for the sale.

So... register an interest with HPI & the car will be a bit more difficult to sell on, again.

Find the landlord of the premisies - more than probable, he'll be owed £$£$ too, then jointly try & trace the dealer.

check your home insurance policy for legal protection cover.If you do find the dealer, they may be able to assist with amny legal procedings.

B) Or go & find another car!!

VB
He has a 'sales deposit' form which has the make, model & reg on. I will suggest he gets in touch with HPI anyway - if it makes the car more difficult to sell on, presuming the dealer has just moved all his stock to the other end of the country, then so much to the good

as for tracing the dealer (this has turned into something of a project for all of us at work today !), the name was of the town they were in and 'performance' - ie 'Wigan performance' but not wigan. putting the appropriate phrase into google and yahoo etc returns dozens of results where the local footbal manager is elated/deflated, but no reference to the garage

He has been in touch with autotrader, where the guy advertised. no feedback, but it may register something somewhere. His dad, whose switch card was used to pay the deposit has been in touch with the bank, who have advised him to cancel the card in case it was cloned

I misread the part of your post about tracing and will recommend he does what you suggest - I was going to say tracing the 'directors' would be difficult, as the directors names according to his deposit form were almosr mr & mrs smith, but not if you know what I mean !

--
Disappearing Dealer - teabelly
Is there an entry in companies house for the company name?
I would also mention it to local papers and see if you can get more people with lost deposits and reg numbers out of the wood work.

If the one that your friend was going to buy get's HPI'd again then that should make it easier to find. If you have several reg numbers then it might be possible to track down the stock by spending time mooching on autotrader. If the guy advertised there it is highly likely he'll advertise the same way again. Ebay is another likely place for his stock to turn up on too. If you have copies of the advertising he used then that might make it easier as he might have certain phrases he uses a lot which would identify him.

It is of course possible that they guy has in fact gone bust and the stock has all gone to auction but there should have been something in the local paper about the person going into liquidation.

If you have a genuine name for the person that sold the car then there are a few tracing companies on the net that for a few quid will hunt someone down, even if they don't want to be found. If several people have been ripped off then it might be worth clubbing together to pay to find the guy.
teabelly
Teabelly
the paperwork the lad has looks a bit suspect, if you know what I mean. I only had a quick glance, and it has 'sales deposit form' or something similar at the top, and at the bottom, 'directors' or 'proprietors' - mr S **** & mrs s ****, and it is a name that is going to return millions of results.

The guy may have gone into liquidation, but hey, it doesn't come as a surprise, and he shouldn't be taking deposits just before it happens

I asked the lad if he had a printoff or download of the web page, because if the dealer (and perhaps the better phrase would be trader) is one who makes a habit of this sort of thing, I suspect he'll be flogging the same cars with the same descriptions.

--
p.s. - borasport20
the stars in mrs **** and mrs **** above were mine, before anybody gets upset about swearchecking or moderation

--
Disappearing Dealer - paulb {P}
Try going to

www.insolvency.gov.uk/guidanceleaflets/registerfro...m

This gives a list of all individuals currently subject to either bankruptcy orders or individual voluntary arrangements.

If a bankruptcy order has been made, it has to be advertised in the London Gazette and a paper circulating in the area in which the individual traded.

Similarly, if the trader had a limited company that is being wound up (whether this be by the Court or by resolution of the company) this too has to be advertised in the same way. It's also shown on the Companies House website.

Worth therefore checking the public notices in local papers over the next couple of weeks - any notice will give details of who to contact if you're owed money.

Also, taking deposits knowing that you will be unable to fulfil the orders is regarded as extremely naughty under various provisions in the insolvency legislation, so whoever is dealing with the matter will likely be interested to learn of such behaviour.
Disappearing Dealer - pdc {P}
Your all with the wrong bank then! My bank provides the same cover for Switch purchases as credit card companies do.
No news on the original problem, but the poor lad doesn't have any luck - put down a deposit on an other car (another BM 320 !) yesterday.

The selling garage sent it for a MOT as a matter of course and have just rung him to say it wont pass an MOT as someone has replaced the cat with a straight through exhaust !

--
\"I ought not to let my mind wander - it\'s too small to be out on its own\"

www.mikes-wa