ABS and Tradesmen's Vans - hillman
I was travelling into the village on a narrow country road, just entering the built-up area. Right hand bend, speed limit sign 30mph. The ground is steep on both sides of the road and houses are just beyond the bend. The houses are built on a higher level with garden walls perhaps 8 to ten feet high, no footpath. The other side of the road has a stone wall. Cars are parked on the road in front of the houses. Most houses have multiple cars hence some people park on the bend. When leaving the village it is very difficult to see round the bend because of the parked cars, and you have to proceed cautiously, ready to pull over and slow down or stop to let the car entering through. Entering cars have right of way.
As I went around the bend, just entering the straight, I was confronted by a small white tradesman?s van bombing along on my side of the road. I pulled over as far to the verge as I could without hitting the wall. I saw the van swerve and skid at least a foot out of line. I was fully expecting him to hit us, but the driver recovered it and shot between me and the parked cars.
I admire his control and skid recovery, but I don?t think that it would have been necessary if he had been travelling at a normal speed for the situation.

Are ABS brakes fitted to tradesmen?s vans ?
ABS and Tradesmen's Vans - LeePower
Only if they tick the options box.

Not many vans have ABS as standard yet.
ABS and Tradesmen's Vans - No Do$h
ABS can be a positive hindrance on an unladen van as the rear is so light on the springs under braking that it will skip under even the lightest braking, actuating the ABS.

We were advised against opting for ABS on the L200
ABS and Tradesmen's Vans - Clanger
ABS can be a positive hindrance on an unladen van as
the rear is so light on the springs under braking that
it will skip under even the lightest braking, actuating the ABS.

Isn't that what ABS is for? To stop a potentially skidding wheel locking up? Have I missed something.
We were advised against opting for ABS on the L200

Not the slightest chance that the salesman couldn't get hold of one with ABS in time to meet that month's sales target?

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
ABS and Tradesmen's Vans - No Do$h
Not the slightest chance that the salesman couldn't get hold of
one with ABS in time to meet that month's sales target?

We'd already established that the vehicle we were after was a factory build.

With ABS chattering away like mad, the truck takes a fair bit longer to stop.
ABS and Tradesmen's Vans - Dynamic Dave
Are ABS brakes fitted to tradesmen?s vans ?

Depends on the size of van. If it's based on a car (Astra Van, Ford Fiesta van, for example - which now come with abs) then I guess that it falls into the same category as that for cars registered after 1st July 2004.

www.autofinder.ie/asp1/afmain.asp?lnk=101&id=277

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24062
ABS and Tradesmen's Vans - Hugo {P}
My Nissan Primastar, despite being a 54 reg, is actually old spec by about 3 months - no ABS or CD player. Lack of both on this got me a further discount of £1200 or so plus a set of roof bars.

I understand that abs is now standard on this van.

H