Driving glasses - Badger
I'm trying to buy a pair of plain, non-prescription driving glasses with polychromatic ('Reactolite') lenses. I can find any number of expensive designer glasses, but I'm not interested in a silly name, cool or fashion. I just want glasses that can live in the car and do the job. My last such pair came from a now-closed AA shop and served me well for many years yet now they seem to be unobtainable.

Can anyone help? Google searches have got me nowhere.
Driving glasses - Adam {P}
Not entirely the same but I wear glasses all the time. Mine are the reactolite ones you speak of but you do know they won't change in the car don't you? Car windscreens block out most UV light which is what the glasses work off. I've been in at least 10 different cars since I got these and they've never changed at all in sunny weather.
Adam
Driving glasses - Badger
That's odd, Adski. The reason I wanted another pair is that mine have been fine in the car. Done the job very well indeed. Reactolites lose their effectivenss if they are kept in the dark for a long time, such as storage in stock stomewhere, though they recover when re-exposed to light. It can take a little time though, and the first trip or so may not be too effective. I had a spare pair which I used to keep on a windowsill for that reason.
Driving glasses - Adam {P}
Well I never knew that Stripey. When I got mine the optician told me that (Specsavers). They've never tinted in the car, I've had them for a while and wear them all the time. Outiside they're great though.

Sorry for the duff advice.
Adam
Driving glasses - just a bloke
not duff advice....

my glasses don't darken in any car either for exactly the reason you said.

JaB
Driving glasses - Badger
I'm not suggesting the advice is duff -- I'm sure that the comments on windscreens and UV are perfectly correct. It's just odd that my specs have been OK. I,ve worn the last pair of reeactolites in a variety of cars for a good few years now and found them so efective that I want the replacemrnts in the same. Are there polychromatics and polychrmatis I wonder.

Incidentally, the note about the need to restore Reactolites after a long spell in the dark was on a warning leaflet enclosed with the glasses, which were Reactolite brand not generic.
Driving glasses - Stuartli
>>. Are there polychromatics and polychrmatis I wonder.>>

This US company advertises them at the foot of this web page:

www.kounopt.com/

as does this small UK outlet:

www.judithroberts-opticians.co.uk/services.htm
Driving glasses - henry k
Not entirely the same but I wear glasses all the time.
Mine are the reactolite ones you speak of but you do
know they won't change in the car don't you? Car windscreens
block out most UV light which is what the glasses work
off. I've been in at least 10 different cars since I
got these and they've never changed at all in sunny weather.
Adam

>>
I Cannot agree with them NOT working in cars.
I have had them for years.
I have mentioned on the forum that I drove into the unlit Homer tunnel in NZ and had no vision because they were so dark. Brain was not in gear so did not immediately take them off. I had 4 different hire cars on that trip and they worked in all of them.. Mine are Zeiss lenses. I do however think the ability of them to darken is wearing off.
Apart from having the familiar Bosch and Lamb's RayBan airline pilot sunglasses I also have a pair of its Driving Series sunglasses, also under the RayBan trademark, with Cromax lenses.

They are designed to particularly emphasise red and green and are very effective whilst driving.

As for Reactolite lenses, again I had a pair before getting the RayBans - these again worked well whilst driving, darkening as expected in the right conditions.

My son got the Reactolite sunglasses - much to his disgust. He wanted the "airline pilot" RayBans I had just acquired.

Puzzled as to why a teenager would want them so badly, I eventually gleaned from him that they were the really cool thing to have at that time amongst his peers.
Driving glasses - Badger
I suppose it could be relative -- perhaps a little less effective in the car than outside and I've never actually noticed. I'll have to check this when I get a new pair. If anyone sees a Mégane veering all over the M55 on the next really sunny day, it's only me carrying out some tests in the cause of scientific endeavour.
Driving glasses - Badger
PS. This is all immensely interesting, although my real enquiry is where I can buy a pair. However, I understand that RAF aircrew glasses are polychromatic, and aircraft windscreen will also block some UV. (I don't take the 'Aviator' label on some designer glasses too seriously!).
Driving glasses - Badger
PPS (grasshopper brain). Thanks for the tip about Cromax, Stuartli. I'l do a bit of Googling.
Another photocromatic source in the UK:

www.btinternet.com/~byeopticians/sunglasses.htm
I would think that Cromax is a B and L trademark. The lenses don't darken - it's the nature of the colours that are blocked or let through that is involved.
Driving glasses - patently
RAF aircrew glasses are polychromatic

I was issued with a pair back in my handlebar moustache Tally Ho Wizard Prang days - the Mk14s as issued at the time were a pair of very (very) dark lenses in a chrome surround. They didn't react to light levels - is that what you mean by polychromatic?

Generally, once you are above the clouds the light level doesn't change much. Not that the Mk14s ever saw much in flight service - the helmets have a second tinted visor so the shades end up being for ground use only.
Driving glasses - Badger
Polychromatic is simply the generic term for a glass that adjusts to light levels. Reactolite is a brand name. Incidentally, I flew myself with Transport Command ra little later than the Tally Ho!days. Polychromatic lenses weren't around then, if I remember rightly.
Driving glasses - Altea Ego
"My son got the Reactolite sunglasses - much to his disgust. He wanted the "airline pilot" RayBans I had just acquired."

Must have been about 1973 then, did he want the jason king hairstlye and face fuzz as well? ;)

I wear glasses. Used to have a pair of Reactolite rapides, and they were useless in the car, rarely getting darker.

Now I always buy two pairs when my prescription is changed, one ordinaire, and one sunglasses for the car. (always a buy one get one free deal on)
Driving glasses - BrianW
I have plain i.e. uncoated, prescription lenses and flip-up clip-on sunglasses.
Instant change available: sun out, sunglasses down.
Into tunnel, sunglasses up.
No loss of vision either way.
>>Must have been about 1973 then>>

You can add at least 20 to that particular year...:-))

Re photocromatic lenses. Here's a piece on the subject (copy and paste to save typing from tinyurl.com/68ktl). Note the last paragraph:

Photochromic lenses

"Reactolite is the name most people associate with this type of lens and a lot of people use the term in much the same way we call a vacuum cleaner a Hoover, it is in fact the trade name of one particular type of lens.

"This lens was first produced as a spin off from the space race in the 60?s but it has now evolved far past its early forms. It is a lens that changes from light to dark and back again depending on the light it is in.

"Although it was originally only available in glass, plastic versions have become available over the last few years. Some of the original plastic versions performed quite poorly and had some ?interesting? colours.

"Now you can have faster reacting, less temperature dependant lenses in a choice of colours, including some that work just as well behind a car windscreen ? ask about them, not all photochromics are the same."

Driving glasses - JohnM{P}
Most interested to read these posts. I has photochromatic lenses in the late '70's, but gave them up because a) they reacted to UV light, so were dark when it was raining (uv comes through cloud) and b) being shortsighted (-6+), the central spot of the lens was a lot thinner, and hence clearer, than the rest of the lens.
Plastic photochromatics overcome the problem of b), but (used to) have a much slower reaction time.
You can specify, for prescription lenses, what the min/max values of light transmission should be; I went for max transmission, so I could wear them at night, and found they were of little use during the day, due to b).

I'm sure that there have since been further advances , but being shortsighted, slightly astigmatic, needing varifocals and not wanting lenses as heavy or as thick as Corona bottle bottoms (showing my age!), my normal lenses are already £400ish, so additional cost for photochromatics is not in question.

I did have a pair of prescription sunglasses, but driving into underground carparks, Swiss tunnels, etc was not clever. I settled for a pair of USA oap type overglasses,£10, (my children wanted to disown me when I was wearing them) but I could easily put them on/remove them whilst driving.

My new Zeiss spectacles have custom made magnetic clipon sunglasses - but that still doesn't help with eg Swiss motorway travel through many tunnels...

Bad teeth and eyesight (genes and illness!!) have kept me poor - but that's not a topic for this forum!!! :-)
but I'm not interested in a silly name, cool or fashion>>

My original pair of Reactolite sun glasses were bought from (IIRC) Boots at a fraction of the price from going to an optician (i.e. having them made specially and that includes Boots!)

It has always amazed me that you can buy first class sun glasses (and these days you can add reading glasses as well) with excellent frames quality right off the shelf for such low prices.

Mind you I've a pal who actually makes the spectacles for most of the big name opticians in my area and my wife buys hers from him at half the normal shop price; even then my pal is still making a good profit, so it demonstrates the markup that the opticians impose...:-)
Driving glasses - henry k
It has always amazed me that you can buy first class
sun glasses (and these days you can add reading glasses as
well) with excellent frames quality right off the shelf for such
low prices.

A little simplistic with corrective lenses. If both your eyes need the same correction lenses then maybe buy off the shelf.
I value my ability to see as well as posible.
I do not skimp on the cost of the best lenses.
I want to drive with the best possible vision.
I agree entirely with your sentiments but must point out that top opticians don't normally sell a pair of glasses, whether ready made or prescription, with inferior lenses.

Stripey, however, did say: "I'm trying to buy a pair of plain, non-prescription driving glasses with polychromatic ('Reactolite') lenses. I can find any number of expensive designer glasses..." in his original query.
Driving glasses - Harleyman
I don't have any problem with people buying non-prescription spectacles for reading; no-one ever got run over by a newspaper. Buying them for driving is, IMHO, a different matter.

I would, however, respectfully suggest to the OP and anyone else who's buying these "over-the-counter" spectacles that if you feel that you need glasses for driving, you would be well advised to visit an optician and have your eyes tested PROPERLY.

Even if you then choose to go down the non-prescription route, you'll know for sure how bad your eyes really are. Most of us, I would suggest, underestimate this.

BTW I don't wear specs myself, but as an HGV driver I'm required by law to undergo an eyesight test when renewing my HGV licence, since I've passed the grand old age of 45 ;-)

I'm a strong believer that ANY licence renewal over the age of 70 should be accompanied by a mandatory eyesight test; I firmly believe that it would reduce accidents. Most older drivers are not careless, it is their eyesight and reactions which deteriorate with age, as will happen to all of us eventually. :-(
Driving glasses - Joes
Hi, i just purchased a pair from www.honestimnotafterafreeadvert.co.uk, they are a great firm that are very helpfull. They cater for all vision tyoes and glasses. They are much cheaper than the opticians. Try them out, my glasses are great

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 27/01/2008 at 18:10

Driving glasses - Pugugly {P}
And of course, you have a no connection with the company. Can you please e-mail one of the mods, otherwise your account will be locked.
Driving glasses - Billy Whizz
I hope his glasses are better than his spelling.
I thought that as well but was too polite to mention it until you did :-) !
Curious to know to why this thread has been opened again after three-and-a-half years and why I have been sent an e-mail by the webmaster (for the first time since joining this forum as far as I can recall) detailing Harleyman's 18:00 response, which provides his posting in full?
Can't answer that one in the immortal words of Bart Simpson "It wasn't me !"
Something's amiss me thinks...:-)
Stuart - the webmaster will pick up the e-mail issue. I suspect that the person who raised GCS level on this thread was attempting to freeload an ad onto the site.

Not aimed at Stuart - nothing to be gained from keeping this one live. So Locked it.
Driving glasses - Dynamic Dave
and why I have been sent an e-mail by the webmaster

There used to be a tickbox where you could subscribe to a thread/post and get email notifications when anyone replied to it. It was later dropped because despite the warning telling people not to respond to the email, some people still did or they had an 'out of office' message set up in their email rules. In short, the webmaster at the time got fed up with the emails that swamped his inbox from the people who couldn't read further than the first line or had forgetten to cancel their out of office rule.

I suspect back in 2004 you had ticked the box, and although the tickbox is no longer visible, I suspect the setting for it still remembers you ticked the box.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/01/2008 at 21:07