Freelander Headgasket - derek
hi,
a friend of mine bought a 1.8 freelander a couple of years ago
and has been resonably happy with it,
the remote locking started playing up a couple of weeks ago and was proving very tricky to fix so while it was in there, and there was also the looming threat of the headgasket going on it, he thought sod it and bought an 01 v6 model,

THREE days later any guesses?? you guessed it head gasket went on the v6, the land rover main dealer arranged for it to be today away, and delivered an 04 plate 4 door model the following day,
this morning they couldnt get in it as the locks are playing up .

i have a few questions

how long does a head gasket take to go? sure if it was only picked up on the tuesay and it went on the friday shouldnt the dealer have spotted it.? or is it instantaneous?

can he legally walk a way and get his money back? and his old car or is he obliged to have this one when its repairrd,

if he does decide to have it back is there any guarentee it wont go again and how long should l/rover guarentee their engine repairs for?

i kow its a regular fault on ther 1.8s but has anybody heard it regualary on the 2.5 v6 2001??

i find it staggering that this happens in this day and age.

{As you\'ve posted the same question in Discussion as well as here, I\'ve moved all the replies over from there and writelocked the post so as to avoid repetition. DD}

freelander headgasket v6 this time - madf
As I understand it, The Rover V6 has very naroow cooling passages in the cylinder head: any blockages will lead to localised boiling. And with Rover's poor engineering history you can be sure once that happnes - and it may happen without any external signs - the gasket could go at anytime. Like 30 minutes.

3: My respomnse is I would never buy anything manuafactrued by Rover: cars , engines gearboxes . anything.

History proves they can design in faults that most other people avoid.

madf

freelander headgasket v6 this time - Number_Cruncher
Hi,

Producing the original engineering design for a complex assembly is usually quite straightforward, once the main concepts have been agreed.

Virtually all complex engineered parts have teething troubles. The really skilled engineers are the ones who investigate, and sort this out - usually with a blend of strong theory and practical experience.

Less technically strong engineers tend to introduce more problems than they solve, and usually do not get to the root cause of the issue.

In this case, Rover brought out a technically advanced engine. It had problems - they haven't dealt with these problems effectively. My view is that they therefore fall into the group of less technically strong engineers.

number_cruncher
freelander headgasket v6 this time - Aprilia
Yes, quite a few problems with the KV6 - as its naming implies it inherited most of the problems of the 4-cylinder K-series.
Why on earth anyone would want to risk buying one of these with their own money is beyond me - unless they know little about cars, or are very patriotic.

There are a lot of better 4x4's out there.

I would go for getting the money back - reject the car (in writing) right now.
freelander headgasket v6 this time - derek
i did mention that to them
if they have to have one get an x trail or rav 4

and even the new one they got as a spare is playing up as well,
thats a scandal in my opinion especially as its from the main dealer in my town

would like some more views on the gasket going gradually or all at once
thanks and regards
freelander headgasket v6 this time - Number_Cruncher
Hi Derek,

Head gasket leakage is a binary issue. They either leak, or they don't. Therefore, the failure is sudden, by definition. Once the leakage path is established, it usually gets worse with time - in time, the aluminium of the head gets locally eroded away too.

Having said that, if the head gasket has been accurately diagnosed as the fault, then whether the failure ocurred suddenly or gradually may be immaterial?

Rejecting the car sounds like good advice to me. It is not unusual to have K series cars with a history of numerous head gasket changes.

number_cruncher
freelander headgasket v6 this time - Sprice
If its not failing ECU's or trim falling off because you coughed too near it, its head gaskets failing...frequently! Land Rover products come close to last in too many reliability surveys for the results to be ignored, its time they bucked their ideas up if they want customer loyalty, because they certainly aint getting customer satisfaction.
As Aprilia says, reject the car, and tell your friend to do himself a favour, and buy a RAV4 or a Nissan X trail if he really must have a SUV.
Also since then

the l rover dealer have said its the thermostat thats gone not the headgasket??

would this make the engine smoke and become full of \"mayo\"
inside. also she reckons that the temp gauge is ok

and amazingly the one they gave her as a loan car is playing yup now

problems with the alarm

can anyone throw any light

kind regards
Freelander Headgasket - daveyK_UK
dont buy old leyland designed cars?
Freelander Headgasket - blank
Also since then
the l rover dealer have said its the thermostat thats gone
not the headgasket??
would this make the engine smoke and become full of \"mayo\"
inside.

No it would not. It might have failed first, caused overheating and then the HGF.
also she reckons that the temp gauge is ok

Do you think it is not?

Andy
its a scandal that cars are made like this inst it.

its like some eastern european job isnt it

the more and more tales that you read about in here its obviously not the car to buy.

there must be three or four of them at school as well in the morning , i might mention to the other drivers see if (or when) theyve had any probs.
thanks for all your input