Rover 220 Turbo PAS Pump? - MarkSmith
Hi,

My Rover 220 Turbo (petrol), 1995, 66k miles, has just started making an unpleasant grinding noise when the power steering is put under load - e.g. dry steering. Would this be the first sign of a failing PAS pump?

If so, anyone know how hard the pump is to replace? Only just had the cambelt changed, irritatingly - presumably this will have to come off again.

If I just ignore it, what will happpen? If/when it eventually fails completely, will it be catastropic (broken timing belt or something) or will I just have no power steering? Any idea how long it might last? (I hate dealing with garages, and I'm a bit busy to do it at the moment...)

Thanks,
Mark
Rover 220 Turbo PAS Pump? - blinky
A friend had a similar problem with his diesel Rover 25. Turned out there was a hairline crack and the power steering system was leaking fluid. The PAS was never the same after that.

If the system fails you normally just loose power steering - it will suddenly become much heavier. In some cars it puts the car in limp home mode with reduced power.
Thanks blinky. It doesn't seem to be losing fluid - or at least the level hasn't gone down (first thing I checked). But it's only just started doing it so I suppose it might not have had time to lose much yet. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks,
Mark
Rover 220 Turbo PAS Pump? - dieselnut
Could it be just the pump drive belt slipping & causing a squeeling noise.
May just need tightening hopefully.
Hi Dieselnut,

I think it's driven by the timing belt (but someone will correct me if I'm wrong) which is toothed. Anyway it doesn't sound at all like a screeching - it's a grinding noise.

Cheers,
Mark
Rover 220 Turbo PAS Pump? - Civic8
It isnt driven by cambelt. IIRC its the old 820 which was. also caused many a cambelt snap. Untill it was Modified to V belt. Are you sure its pump and not the Rack grinding?
--
Was mech1
Rover 220 Turbo PAS Pump? - sails north
mark, i came across a very similar problem on a friends bmw316 recently. all the garages were pointing to a replacement steering rack. eventually i got under the bonnet myself and somehow diagnosed it as having an airlock. airlock taken out, no problems since. hope its of some help
> Are you sure its pump and not the Rack grinding?

Not at all, that's why I asked...

> Would this be the first sign of a failing PAS pump?

;-)

Thanks for the tips, Steveo and Jambo. Not sure how I'd go about diagnosing either rack problems or airlocks but I'll see what I can do. Maybe steering without the car running would isolate it down to PAS-related or rack-related...

Thanks!
-Mark
Rover 220 Turbo PAS Pump? - sails north
you can also try it at idle and higher revs. if you can get someone else to do the steering, watch the belt just before the power steering pulley to see if it goes slack for a split second. if this happens it will sugest a blockage, most probably an airlock somewhere.
to naturally bleed the system, open and check the power steering fluid level. turn the steering full to the right and hold a few seconds, then turn to the left and hold. do this a couple of times. recheck fluid level and close cap.
Thanks for the info Jambo. I'll try to do this very soon. Don't get a lot of free time at the moment.

Thanks,
Mark

Rover 220 Turbo PAS Pump? - DL
The noise you hear will almost certainly be cavitation noise caused in the first instance by a low fluid level.

With the engine running where does the fluid level sit?
Are there any damp patches in and around the fluid bottle?

If so, rectify any leaks (fitting new hose clips usually works) and top the fluid up. Run the engine and turn the steering slowly lock-to-lock, this will bleed the system.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Hi DL,

It doesn't seem to be losing fluid - or at least the level hasn't gone down (first thing I checked).

You don't mention whether to turn lock-lock with the bottle open or closed, whereas someone previously mentioned doing it with it open. Does it matter?

Since the level is right, and given that I steer lock-lock as part of normal driving (parking etc.), would it not have bled itself?

Thanks,
Mark
Rover 220 Turbo PAS Pump? - Civic8
Not so sure your problem is p/s pump. if it only occurs whilst turning steering... Have you only checked this out yourself. ie not had any help. If so doubt you have much chance.200 series.though not as bad as wedge shape 213. did suffer upper bearing wear on the strut. It was usuall to regrease it.May be wrong in this case but possible.?
--
Was mech1
Rover 220 Turbo PAS Pump? - zero99
Hello,
I bought a new gasket from Ebay and repair it itself by the tutorial what were in the listing.

Try ebay for: "Rover power steering pump gasket"

Works perfect.