Elise Advice - jc33
I'm thinking of upgrading to a second hand Elise sometime in the next few months, (probably a Sports Tourer or Race Tech as these two are both group 17 insurance as opposed to group 20.) I was going to go for a Mk2 model, can anyone afford me the benefit of their experience in what to look out for in used models or point out any pitfalls I might not have thought of...? Much obliged.
Elise Advice - Alfafan {P}
Two pieces of advice:

1) Check the head gasket.

2) Buy a VX220
Elise Advice - SjB {P}
>>Buy a VX220

Despite having much in common with the Elise, a potentially more robust powertrain, and the fantastic turbo option, it\'s a shame that the Vx is as ugly as Sin, whereas the Elise, from either generation, is an object of svelte beauty.

All things being equal, and with many a slip twixt cup and lip: I hope very much that in a few years time, when SWMBO inherits the V70 2.4T to replace her 306, I get to buy a second hand Toyota 190 powered Elise or Exige, justified on the grounds that I work from home, and we still have the V70 as a great family wagon, so who cares about practicality! We\'ll then have two and four wheeled motorbikes in the family stable! :-)

JC33 - I suggest that you contact www.clublotus.co.uk, where I\'m sure you\'ll get all the advice you need.

Good luck, and have fun both choosing and owning!
Elise Advice - legacylad
Dont buy a VX220-sorry to disagree with SjB.

I ran a Mk 1 Elise for 3 years (colour Titanium) as a 2nd car for high days and holidays.Only put on about 22k but never had a moments bother and loved every minute of it.It was as reliable as my Subaru, and regret selling it although current commitments make it unviable. A pal has recently bought a P reg high miler and equally thinks its the best thing since....contact Club Lotus for pitfalls when buying, and cheaper insurance, and enjoy.The looks alone of the VX220 put me off, despite its very favourable press.118 bhp is more than enough for us mere mortals, especially with roof down blasting thru Northumberland!
Elise Advice - SjB {P}
Legacylad - We AGREE! ;-)

If you look, my first sentence is in italics, because I'm commeting on something the previous poster said. I don't used double quotes when quoting, as this can sometimes be a reserved character.
Elise Advice - No Do$h
To avoid confusion I've put the forum quote marks back in. Trust this is ok.

::drops edit button in pocket and saunters off::
No Dosh - Backroom Moderator
mailto:moderators@honestjohn.co.uk
Elise Advice - SjB {P}
>>To avoid confusion I've put the forum quote marks back in. Trust this is ok.

TVM.
Elise Advice - jc33
Thanks for the comments thus far, something I forgot to mention in my original post. I will be using it as my main and only vehicle - I am aware that by buying one of these I will only be able to pack a toothbrush when I travel anywhere but I am in the fortunate position of not having a lifestyle which demands practicality (yet). Aside from this, does anyone know of any problems in using a car like this everyday...?
Elise Advice - SjB {P}
Well, a friend of mine ran one every day for several years, but then he did work for Lotus in Hethel at the time!

Seriously, the only real niggles he had were:

1) Having to keep a towel in the car to wipe the wide door sills before getting out after a long wet drive: Mud and muck seeps all over them, and it's almost impossible to avoid wiping trousers / skirts / bare legs on them when getting out.

2) Optionally fitted full race spec exhaust was very tiring on long motorway runs.

3) Remembering this was an 'everyday use car' before cries of 'pathetic!' are heard, even with the so called upgrade that's available, the tin pot sound from the stereo as a consequence of small speaker chambers.

That was about it, I recall.

He loved it, and had no breakdowns or reliability issues at all, including the engine fires that some series I Elises of the same era suffered from. I believe the latter were caused by heat causing a pipe to expand and pop-off, letting petrol out, though stand to be corrected.
Elise Advice - Steve S
On many of the Lotus websites you'll see people using them for as an every day car. What price practicality? I also think buying from an enthusiast who is upgrading may be a good plan - there are some very well cared for examples.

The VX220 may be good (if pig ugly), but nothing beats the style of the Elise - lucky you! Go for it.

I've been trying to justify buying a Mk1 for a fun car for some time - it'll happen one day.

I think the S2 is great but what a shame they couldn't keep the stunning S1 looks.
st170 headlight adjustment - toni2019

Hi JC i seen your post regarding adjusting the st170 headlights i am in the same position could you kindly provide me the details/technical drawings on how to adjust the headlights rather than me having to pay Ford

Cheers

st170 headlight adjustment - alan1302

Hi JC i seen your post regarding adjusting the st170 headlights i am in the same position could you kindly provide me the details/technical drawings on how to adjust the headlights rather than me having to pay Ford

Cheers

You do realise this is a 10 year old thread? :-)

st170 headlight adjustment - Avant

And it was a thread about the Lotus Elise, not Ford headlights. You need to start a new thread in the Technical section if you want some advice about adjustment of headlights.