1995 Rover 418 TD (square shape) - tartanraider
On a drive back from the "Auld country" the old girl has developed a braking problem.As the brakes are applied it takes progressively more effort to stop and the pedal gets harder.After releasing the pedal the normal feel returns.I've tried to find a Haynes manual today but there doesn't seem to be one to cover this model (diesel) so I'm reluctant to fiddle about at the moment.Any help/diagnosis much appreciated
1995 Rover 418 TD (square shape) - mare
Sounds like your brake master cylinder has gone, i had this problem on a 1990 Corolla and that was the cause.
1995 Rover 418 TD (square shape) - Civic8
Possible servo or vaccum pump/pipe to servo. I would check out the drive belt to the pump in case it has failed?
--
Was mech1
Thanks for the replies,have checked the belt Steve that's ok.Don't have a manual at the mo' so is there any way of checking the other parts or is it a case of replacing the cheaper bits first and arriving at a solution by a process of elimination? There doesn't appear to be any fluid loss by the way
The pipe from pump to servo which is mainly plastic. has a rubber hose connecting it to the pump. there is also two other tee joints off this pipe which also have rubber hose connections. I would check these as you may have a split joint. I dont Im afraid know where these other pipes actually run to. though havent had a good look as yet. Hope that helps
--
Was mech1
1995 Rover 418 TD (square shape) - Crinkly Dave
I would agree with Steve's diagnosis, (or even a faulty servo - but less likely). A lack of vacuum would mean that the first application would have full assistance, but this would drop if repeated applications are made and the brake pedal would get harder with less braking effect.
Try running the engine with the car stationary, then turning the engine off and trying the brakes several times. You should feel the pedal get harder after 2-4 attempts. If it gets harder immediately you have a leak or lack of vacuum. Then try the same thing with the engine running. If you have the same effect, it will probably be a vacuum fault.
Check the pipe from the pump to the servo housing, looking for cracks and faulty seals & joints. Is the pump belt really OK? I am familar with the Peugeot engine, which can have a separate vacuum pump or one at the end of the camshaft. The vacuum pumps are pretty long lived, but pricey when new.

Thanks again lads for the help.Have checked the pipes can't find any leaks,would they be fairly obvious under examination or is it a microscope job? As far as I can see the pump belt is fine always assuming (without manual) I'm looking at the right thing!Looking at the engine pump is on right hand side above alternator round top with square bit on top? Big ?? Is the car safe to drive or do you think there's a possibility of complete brake failure ?

regards Kenny
If you look at gearbox end. output from camshaft has double pulley. this drives power steering pump and vaccum pump.vaccum pump is above the power steering pump. and two pipes come off the pump. right hand goes to bottom/rear of air filter housing. The other as described before. though I am assuming its 1769 cc....I thought this engine much the same as 1.9 non turbo. I can check out difference my dad has 1.9 non turbo. layout shouldnt be that much different apart from turbo/intercooler will let you know. Unless someone can correct me on this.
--
Was mech1
1995 Rover 418 TD (square shape) - dieselnut
Why not pull the vacuum pipe off the servo & with engine running check for suction with your finger. If none, check same at the vacuum pump.
Thanks again lads will check it out tomorrow,

regards Kenny
1995 Rover 418 TD (square shape) - DL
How did you get on Kenny?

These pumps do give trouble...
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Latest update....found a vacuum pump from a breaker using the 24/7 website.Got a pump from a peugeot breakers with a 6 month guarantee for..........£37.50!!The quote for testing,supplying and fitting from main dealer(Seargent & Collins)was made up as follows.

Testing.....£80.00

Labour.....£140.00

Parts......£190.00

Total......£410.00

plus the dreaded vat..£481.75 if I've done my sums right.The old girl is up and running again as of last thursday.Thanks to all who helped or showed an interest,1 up to the back roomers again!
1995 Rover 418 TD (square shape) - DL
A typical garage quote there - that is out of this world!

......and they want our work, as service intervals get longer????

They can go and whistle!!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
1995 Rover 418 TD (square shape) - shesley t2
Hi, i have exactly the same problem as you had on the rover 418 sld, looks like a new vac pump for me as well. Found if I am driving like recenlty down a multi storey car park, brakes got very hard, and as yours recovered, found myself doing what I used to do with the old TK bedford truck I once drove, sitting reving engine up.

Thanks for the useful info you gained.

Steve