DIY parking sensor kit - Stuartli
Anyone near a Tradex outlet (Huddersfield, Hull, Leeds, Lincoln, Nottingham, Pudsey or Preston) can buy a DIY parking sensor kit from Thursday, August 19th.

It has a central control unit for plug and play installation, digital fascia top display with audio warning, obstacle sensors and wiring look, drilling tool, full installation, operation instructions and fitting kit.

Price? £24.99, more than £74 off recommended retail price.

A gift for the lady in your life?

DIY parking sensor kit - BazzaBear {P}

That was either a brave or a foolhardy thing to put at the end of your post without a winky! ;)
Don't care - I'm an MCP..:-)
DIY parking sensor kit - Vin {P}
My wife demonstrated her method of parking the other night. Pull in in front of our second car. Reverse until there is a "crunch". Move forward two inches. Say, "Oh, I thought there was more room".

Who needs expensive parking sensors with that approach?

V
DIY parking sensor kit - NowWheels
Don't care - I'm an MCP..:-)

Be very careful, MCP.

All it takes is for a typo to change the first letter for the next one in the alphabet, and people will be parking their cars on you ;-)
Gotta find me first.

DIY parking sensor kit - BrianW
Gotta find me first.

I sometimes have the same trouble: dodgy clutch release I think.
OK, I'm lost. What's an MCP?
The only thing I can think of is multi-coloured particle, and I don't reckon that's it.
DIY parking sensor kit - frostbite
Male chauvinist pig.
DIY parking sensor kit - Sooty Tailpipes
Fitting tip....
Drill the holes at 0 degrees to the floor, ie hold the drill level,
Even though my bumpers only have a slight taper as you go down, and I drilled at 90 degrees to the mounting surface, the sensors pick up the floor as they slope down a couple of degrees, especially lumps or kerbs, a damn shame, as I colour coded the sensors and it looks like a factory fitted system.
DIY parking sensor kit - PoloGirl

Anyone buying these for me will get them shoved ever so politley back at them.

Why not just learn to park properly, instead of advertising to the world, with these nasty things, that you can't?

DIY parking sensor kit - patently
Nice one, PG.

We asked a Merc salesman to show Mrs P round the A-class. The first thing he pointed out (the first, no kidding) was the plastic bumpers that don't suffer in parking accidents.

I went to hide behind a potplant. I really don't like the sight of blood.
DIY parking sensor kit - helicopter
SWMBO would also kill anyone who suggested women are worse at parking than men.

Patently - I am surprised that the Mercedes salesman even deigned to talk to a woman in the first place. Normally they ignore the woman altogether .....
DIY parking sensor kit - billy25
in the earlier days of motoring, when cars were fitted with "proper" bumpers,(you know, the steel/chrome ones, with the upright buffers on) it was common practice when parking to gently shove the car behind back a couple of inches, and the car infront forward a bit, so that yours would fit into the gap properly. Thats why bumpers were fitted in the first place, nowadays, they are as much use as a chocolate firegaurd, nothing more than a body cosmetic, and if by chance you do use them for the design purpose, they buckle and scuff, and result in an insurance squabble!.

billy.
I am surprised that the Mercedes salesman even deigned to
talk to a woman in the first place.

He was an enlightened one.

Only by their standards, though.... ;-)
Why not just learn to park properly, instead of advertising to
the world, with these nasty things, that you can't?

This also puzzles me. Why are they made so visible? It's not like you want to advertise that you can't park.
Perhaps, when they first came out of the German exec cars, they were perceived as another status symbol, so owners would want them to be seen?
I know for a fact that there are completely invisible systems available, which are no more expensive.
DIY parking sensor kit - J Bonington Jagworth
"Why not just learn to park properly, instead of advertising to the world, with these nasty things, that you can't?"

Nicely put, PG. I'd much rather people developed their own sense of where the corners are...
DIY parking sensor kit - Sooty Tailpipes
Good points, unless you're such a bad parker that you shouldn't be allowed to, I think they're not much use, you either don't trust them, or can judge better. Ones in new BMWs etc.. wgich use graphics on the screen look like fun for a few days, but that's all.
DIY parking sensor kit - J Bonington Jagworth
"such a bad parker that you shouldn't be allowed to"

Plenty of those about, so perhaps they can do some good. I have to say that I thought the idea of fining people who parked more than 18" from the kerb a good one, although I can see that it represents more nannying. Bad parkers are annoying, though...
Just make it automatic that if an incorrectly or illegally parked car is involved in an accident, the presumption is that it was their fault.
I only mentioned the DIY kit in the first place for those who like gizmos, especially at a bargain price...

The final sentence was tongue in cheek, although you wouldn't think it from some of the responses.....:-))

However, if you've got a big car such as an S-Class, parking sensors can prove a boon.
DIY parking sensor kit - Duchess
Didn't you mean "up" when you typed "at"?

What do you mean?
DIY parking sensor kit - Dynamic Dave
What do you mean?

Stuartli,
If you change to "View Threaded" you'll see that Duchess was replying to Pologirl's post, not yours.
DIY parking sensor kit - frostbite
I 'view threaded' and it's doing no such thing.
DIY parking sensor kit - Dynamic Dave
I \'view threaded\' and it\'s doing no such thing.

Looking at your settings, you\'ve got it set to \"view flat\", not \"view threaded\".

Click the link and you *should* see what I mean when this thread is in \"threaded view\".

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24550&...t

you'll see that Duchess was replying to Pologirl's post, not yours>>

Thanks for that explanation..:-)