exceptional service or not? - volvoman
Rang the supplying dealer yesterday to book my Mazda MPV for its first service and paint inspection in a few weeks time.

The dealership's about 5-6 miles away and they told me I'd need to get the car to them by about 8am ideally. When I told them this wasn't exactly convenient their reply was "would you like us to collect and return the car for you sir?" Slightly stunned and fully expecting to be told this would cost £50 plus VAT I enquired what the charge would be and the reply "Nothing sir, all part of the service".

In all the years I had my Volvo serviced by the local main dealer about 2 miles away they never once offered to do this so, is this quality of service normal or is the dealer acting above and beyond the call of duty?
exceptional service or not? - Aprilia
In '98, when I bought my wifes' Primera, we had it from a Nissan delar about 6 miles away. I subsequently closed down.
Another dealer, about 15 miles away, rang to remind me it was due its first annual service. I grumbled about the fact that I would have to drive across town in the rush hour to get it to them - 'No problem', they said, 'we'll collect it'. And they did - they even used the synthetic oil that I'd specified (left the remainder in a can in the car, and didn't rip me off for it.). Needless to say I used them until the car was out of warranty.
exceptional service or not? - helicopter
Collection and delivery is done as a matter of course by both my local Honda and Toyota dealers at no cost.They are both within two miles of work but it is still much more convenient than making alternative arrangements.
exceptional service or not? - patently
BMW dealers (in my experience) will always offer a choice between collection & delivery or a loan car.

Merc will offer C&D but for a loan car will insist you insure it at your expense, and will not release it unless they see a specific cover note.

Saab once offered to collect & deliver, and leave a loan car fromm where the collected mine.
My dealer also offers a courtesy car service but do charge a nominal amount for the insurance cover which is fair enough. This was of limited benefit to me though since we have a 'spare' car sitting on the drive.

Incidentally - as I've never been in this situation before, is there anything I need to remember or request the dealer to do at service time? I have no specific worries about the car.

Providing the service book and locking wheel nut spring to mind but is there anything else to consider?

The car's only just done 6k now and I've been told the first service (1 year or 12.5k miles) costs £240 and the second only £160 why is this? I know I should've asked but didn't get round to it.
I'd rather face a levy on the bill for the loan car than have to arrange the insurance, frankly.

The hassle in noting the reg no of the A-class, finding my insurer's number, calling them, explaining why I needed this etc etc was always a pain in the neck.
exceptional service or not? - Mapmaker
As was the A-class?
As was the A-class?

As it was typically an A140 manual with clutch, yes.

Mind you, I was usually so glad to have been granted a slot that I didn't notice.
Well the car was duly collected and dropped off yesterday having had its first service. All in all a painless exercise to be highly recommended to anyone with a pathalogical hatred of 'hassle'. For what are probably obvious reasons free collect and return
services may not be openly advertised so why not ask next time your car's due in?
pathological even!