Crankcase Ventilation Filter - robert
Hi,

Has anybody heard of such a thing as a Crankcase Ventilation Filter? Someone told me that Vauxhall have one on the V6 (Omega) Engine in the form of a wire mesh filter.

What function does it perform and does it ever need to be changed - as filters do, it isn't mentioned in the service schedule anywhere.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks .....

Robert
Re: Crankcase Ventilation Filter - Andy Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
The filter you describe will be situated in one of the cam covers adjacent to where the breather pipe exits. On the 4 cyl-8 valve engines this was a replaceable expanded mesh unit. I have not investigated the situation on these ghastly engines yet as I give them as wide a berth as possible as they are soooo technician unfriendly!
Re: Crankcase Ventilation Filter - David W
Robert,

They are as Andrew says above. Every car will have a similar thing as breathing from the crancase is essential and you need a trap or filter to minimise oil loss.

They are important. Friend with an old Granada thought his 100,000ml engine was finished when loads of oil coated the front of his caravan on the way back from hols.

Just the CCV filter blocked with carbon and muck causing oil to be blown out from the rear main oil seal.

We cleaned the CCV and hoses out with the steam cleaner and it was fine after that.

David
Re: Crankcase Ventilation Filter - Dan J
Excellent- think I'll give that a clean in the oil paraffin on my Cavalier as well. Hadn't worked out where it was...

On my old Maestro (A series 1.3 descended from the dark ages) the car had two massive great wire mesh filters (looked like paint tins!) either side of the engine. Much more efficient than all these daft little modern filters...