Rover 218 td with intercooler - Civic8
Any one know where I can get a manual for this engine.it isnt the 2.0 litre as fitted to earlier models.its 1749 I think.and if anyone can tell me unit used in this car much apreciated.as all outlets have said they cannot help.thanks for any help.
--
Was mech1
Rover 218 td with intercooler - JohnPug
It's a PSA lump, so try the Peugeot/Citroen books.
Rover 218 td with intercooler - RichardW
Haynes do (or used to - try E-bay?) a manual called "Citroen Diesel Engine" which, whilst it will not cover this exact installation, it will be near enough. It's 1769 cc BTW.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Thanks for correction.but E-bay I dont trust.I only realy want to know what engine is in the car.to me it looks like the pug unit.similar to 1900 but with turbo intercooler.layout is different.but think it may be pug unit.correct me if wrong?
--
Was mech1
Rover 218 td with intercooler - Crinkly Dave
Didn't they produce the 1905 non-turbo, then reduce the bore when they originally fitted a turbo (1750cc or so) before taking the plunge and turboing the 1905
Will have a look at my Peugeot diesel manual tomorrow
To be honest I dont know.it is the first diesel I have owned.I dont like them.but as I do a lot of mileage taking my daughter to and from athletics Events.decided to get this car.I am more into petrol than diesel.though I have worked on them.but as no one knows what engine is in it thought I`d ask.Thanks to anyone that can help?
--
Was mech1
Rover 218 td with intercooler - Berlingo
Rover used a Citroen/Peugeot XUD unit which was 1769cc with a turbocharger and intercooler. The 1905cc was never fitted to a Rover with a turbo. They are a good strong reliable unit if kept well oil changed. Make sure the timing belt is in good order and if in any doubt get it changed, as it causes an awful mess if it snaps. Change the water pump at the same time. I've seen starship miles on non-turbo versions, like 350,000 plus in a 205, and 750,000 on a Citroen BX.
Rover 218 td with intercooler - RichardW
Sorry, steve, didn't make it clear that it IS a Peugeot / Citroen (aka PSA) engine. Rover used a front mounted intercooler rather than an over mounted one as was used on other 1769cc turbo units. This is the manual I was thinking about:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...W

This is the better, older, Owners Workshop Manual too. Once you get used to the engine (keep it over 2.5k rpm if you want it to go, otherwise fine to pull from 1.5k) you will not want to go back to a petrol 'screamer'!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Thanks for all replies.RichardW.I agree great engine considering its near on 130k on clock.any idea what tickover revs should be as its currently running at 750rpm.although its smooth.I thought it should be at around 850/900.It had cambelt and everything done 2k miles ago so no probs there.thanks again.

Steve
--
Was mech1
Rover 218 td with intercooler - P 2501
I think the idle should be around 850 like you say, significantly lower and you begin to get annoying resonance vibrations inside the car.