Clio - auto - strange behaviour - alan_mark/beckenham
Hello,

My Renault Clio 1.6 RXE 1999 (24,000) auto has been having several problems.

Sometimes the Clio it is hesitant to start. However,

A few minutes after starting the car (Approx no more than 10) it will often cut out. I have noticed that this is normally when at slow speed and has never occurred when accelerating. Immediately after this it is hesitant to start, however it will start after a few seconds and/or a bit of a gas. After this point the car is fine, and drives superbly.

I have been using 97 RON fuel in the last few fill ups instead of the standard 95 found at most petrol stations. Do you think this may be a problem?

It idles at about 930rpm in neutral, slightly more when stationary with Drive selected.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Alan-Mark

Clio - auto - strange behaviour - Bill Payer
We had a manual version (Aug 1998) of the same car. Just a thought - there were all sorts of recalls: has yours been through them all?

Re the fuel - modern engine electronics are supposed to adjust themselves so in theory it shouldn't matter, but if, say, you switched from supermarket fuel to Shell Optimax then the extra detergent might stir something up? I did this on my Peugeot - it's probably complete coincidence, but it's misfired ever since.

Yes there was a recall for this car, however it concerns braking equipment rather than engine management, as has been suggested to me on an inferior website!

I was told that the petrol should not make a difference as I was giving it better than it needed!

Thank-you
It turned out to be the crankshaft sensor?