Import Agents - Graham Taylor
How can I find out if an import company is safe and reliable to use? The import agent that I am considering is "Premier Autos" (www.premierautos.net), is this a sound import company? Also, is price negotiable with import agents, ie. can I "haggle" with them?
Re: Import Agents - David W
Graham,

Have a look at the FAQs on this site, nos 2 & 3 I think.

Perhaps give some business to one of HJs contacts??

David
Re: Import Agents - David W
Sorry HJ, just meaning to encourage the business aspect of the site.

David
Re: Import Agents - Honest John
Hang about a bit. These are not my contacts. Merely a useful list. I don't and can't vouch for any of them. But we do take URLs off the list if we find out that the agents are dodgy.

HJ
Re: Import Agents - T lucas
If you really want to save the most money do it all yourself.
Re: Import Agents - Mark (Brazil)
> If you really want to save the most money do it all yourself.

Well, I dunno about going from the UK, but this can be a real mistake importing a car to the UK.

Two friends of mine brought their cars in from the US. One used an agent who shipped it and brought it up to UK spec, and had the inspections done for a very reasonable fee, all-in.

I can prob. dig out the name if anybody is interested.

The other did it himself. The actual shipping was slightly (very slightly) cheaper, but the rest of it becaome a time-consuming nightmare.
Re: Import Agents - T lucas
If you bring a car into UK from Europe that is EC type approved there is nothing else to do to make it UK ok.
True, but I mentioned the US which is not, yet, part of the EC. I don't know how well this compares to UK/NZ, but I suspect that also is not as simple as within the EC.
Of course, not forgetting that my note makes no sense at all unless you remember that I thought I was answering in the "export a car to NZ" thread.

doh !
Re: Import Agents - Andy Bairsto
As T Lucas says do it your self you will save a lot of money ,look in the german DAZ and auto bild for eu suppliers,If you could live with LHD ford mondeo estate top of the range leather and electric everything for 36,000dm and mazda 6s are for nothing.
Re: Import Agents - Andrew Barnes
I recommend you DIY it. I import VW Golfs from Denmark, saving around 4.5K on each.

HTH

Andrew
Re: Import Agents - KB
For Toyota, Nissan, Renault, Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Landrover. it has to be:- INTERMOTIVE in the Netherlands. Email... intermotive@intermotive-car.nl Delivered to UK docks direct (you collect from dockside ) Not an agent insofar as you have to arrange your own registration and VAT in the UK, but that's not beyond most people. Ring them on 0031 165 50 48 39 speak to Ton ( speaks perfect english) Average wait - 4 months (factory orders)
Re: Import Agents - Honest John
If you're thinking of importing used from mainland Europe, got to www.vca.gov.uk and take a look at the document which some civil servant with too much time on his or her hands and no idea how to precis has written.

HJ
Re: Import Agents - Colin M
Loads of free advice on Harry Roberts site: www.truro.swinternet.co.uk

Colin