What is a "Kev-Car"? - Chris - nearly an ex-pat...
Guess I'm getting old.

Heard the term Kev-car last week for the first time, and now heard it again yesterday twice. I believe it means a heavily modified car. Is this true? Where did the name come from? Is it in common useage? Or only among teenagers?

Can anyone point to a website for this kind of info? (Google no help)

Thanks. (Uninformed middle-aged saddo needs help!)
What is a "Kev-Car"? - BazzaBear {P}
I'm not sure that it's generally used by teenagers. It's used by others in a derogatory fashion about the type of badly modified Saxo / Fiesta / Corsa that the teenagers drive.
See also Chav or Scally.

www.chavscum.co.uk holds more information, but mods might want to make that a non-clickable link, I can't remember whether it contains any bad language or not.
What is a "Kev-Car"? - terryb
...and there was me thinking it referred to a Volvo as in the current AA TV ads.

Bev?
Kev!
Kev?
Bev! etc etc
--
Terry
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Altea Ego
Kevin the Teenager, the character devised by Harry Enfield.

I thought it was far fetched and over the top, boy was I wrong!
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Adam {P}
can't remember whether it contains any bad language or not.<<

Yes. It does. :-) But not glaring, in your face pop-ups as you would imagine.
Adam
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Alfafan {P}
Haven't heard it before but my first image was the Harry Enfield character in a heavily tarted up Nova.
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Deryck Tintagel
I've used the term for quite a few years now. When a car has been "Kev'd" it is sometimes a Fiesta 950 Popular made to look like an XR2 or even when a respectable car has been lowered with uprated stereo, tinted glass, spoilers, etc. Usually not very well and a giveaway is the tinny engine sound

I think that it can from the days of "Kevin and Tracey" on the windscreen shade band - probably Not The Nine O'clock News or similar
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Canon Fodder

A bit like the opposite of a Q-car, looks fast but ain't....
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Kuang
Douglas Adams made reference to Kevins in one volume of the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, which went along very similar lines:

'Where it'll all end up, Kevin only knows'*

*(where Kevin is any entity that 'don't know nothin' about nothing')
What is a "Kev-Car"? - A Dent{P}
Oh, ah, erm. Ahem, when not in nome de plume mode I have been known to answer to ?Kev? as it?s my erm, Christian name. This Kev?d up thing comes I think from the fact that ?Kevin? is a common as muck Christian name. John is probably more common but it?s already taken up with other connotations, shall we say. Anyway there have been National Kevin days so there. As for the ref in HHGTTG, it must have been in the fourth part of the trilogy. I dig it out when I find time.

Yes ?Kevin and Tracy ? screen shades have been seen, but not on my motors.
What is a "Kev-Car"? - frostbite
"I have been known to answer to ?Kev? as it?s my erm, Christian name."

Never mind Kev, I dare say 'Osama' will soon be climbing up the names league.
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Kuang
It's actually in part 5 of the trilogy, on the subject of parallel universes (and how they're not strictly parallel, and also not strictly universes either..). I'm glad I remembered that - it was touch and go for a while, and I thought I'd have to hang up my hitchhikers expert hat ;)

Check here for the wonderful piece in question :)

www.earthstar.co.uk/parallel.htm
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Stuartli
www.peevish.co.uk/slang/k.htm

www.nepnicheweb.co.uk/cgi-bin/thisiscornwallubb/cg...4
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Febus
Also known as a "barry boy" the driver of this type of car is usually seen in company of an underage girlfriend and wearing a burberry baseball cap

see here www.barryboys.co.uk
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Wilco {P}
Here's some 'Kev' cars

www.stupidnorthernmonkey.co.uk/
What is a "Kev-Car"? - midlifecrisis
In my previous life I reached the dizzy heights of Lieutenant in the Navy. Was looking to buy a new car in Rosyth and went to look at an Astra GTE (Mk1). Came back empty handed and was sat in the Wardroom and asked why I hadn't bought it. "Real Kev's car" was my reply, forgetting that my Captain, sat next to me, was called Kevin. Not good for the career.
Oh well, I guess you had to be there!!!!
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Altea Ego
In my previous life I reached the dizzy heights of Lieutenant in the Navy

Wasnt that called a "snotty"?
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Armitage Shanks {p}
No, a "snotty" is/was a midshipman, the lowest form of naval life, apparently.
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Robin Reliant
Any car where the vehicle is merely a cheap fashion accessory to go with a sound system that has more power than the first A-bomb.
What is a "Kev-Car"? - spikeyhead {p}
also know as

Chavs, Neds, Townies, Kevs, Charvers, Steeks, Spides, Bazzas, Yarcos, Ratboys, Kappa Slappers, Skangers, Janners, Stigs, Scallies, whatever you know them as, this site is about them, Britains peasant underclass that are taking over our towns and cities!

visit www.chavscum.co.uk

for all you ever wanted to know, and quite a lot that you definately didn't want to know about this
--
I read often, only post occasionally
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Chris - nearly an ex-pat...
Thanks for the link to peevish.co.uk, StuartLi.

Helped me a lot. I am far, FAR further "out of the loop" on this kind of terminology than I realized....

Anyway, I know now.

(hmm, what happened to "Wayne & Waynetta"?)

What is a "Kev-Car"? - BazzaBear {P}
also know as
... Bazzas, ...

Oi!
I'm sure that can't be true... :D
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Sofa Spud
Another term. A 'shiny' - that's what off-road enthusiasts call immaculate 4x4's that never get dirty or the owners of such vehicles.

Cheers, SS
What is a "Kev-Car"? - HF
I see that Kevin himself has not yet responded to this.
What is a "Kev-Car"? - A Dent{P}
Moi? What can I say. I once thought about uprating my lightbulbs, then thought Nah, don't be silly. That's as far as I got to ever modding a car
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Kevin

HF

With a bright red Chevy Z28 (with US-spec exhaust) sat in the garage ready for sunny weekends, I didn't think it would be in my best interests to comment on this one.

Kevin...
What is a "Kev-Car"? - NowWheels
With a bright red Chevy Z28 (with US-spec exhaust) sat in
the garage ready for sunny weekends, I didn't think it would
be in my best interests to comment on this one.

No souped-up Nova?????? Are you sure you're a real Kevin, and not an impostor? ;-)

[/t-i-c]

>No souped-up Nova?????? Are you sure you're a real Kevin, and not an impostor? ;-)

NW, how dare you? I've never imposted in my life ;-)

If that's a souped-up '69 Chevy Nova then I'm willing to give it a go.

If it's a Vauxhall Nova, no way, not even if it came with a V8 option and barryboy bodykit.

Kevin...
OK Kevin you've got me this time.

Unless you're a Kevin AKA Rupert or something. ;)

HF
PS Do you lease it out for sunny weekends?
What is a "Kev-Car"? - frostbite
You could 'do a Powell' and start calling yoursel 'Key-vin'.

HF,

>Unless you're a Kevin AKA Rupert or something. ;)

Nope, I'm a genuine Kevin.

>PS Do you lease it out for sunny weekends?

If global warming ever results in more than two sunny weekends a year I might consider it!

Seiously tho' it's also a pretty good 'every day' car. I used it for travelling to work and back for a couple of years.

Kevin...
Kevin,

I think you should be proud to be a genuine Kevin. I might actually start a Preserve Kevins campaign. I believe, in any case, in certain parts of the country, certain vehicles are known as Gary-Cars, not Kev-Cars.

Have a nice time if we ever do get those two sunny weekends this year! Doesn't seem like it right now.

And good luck with the Chevy - closest I've ever been to one is when they are immortalised in my beloved American rock songs.

Take care - I wasn't picking on you, hope you know that.
HF 0:)
>I think you should be proud to be a genuine Kevin. I might actually start a Preserve Kevins campaign.

Ooo, err, (blushes!)

>And good luck with the Chevy - closest I've ever been to one is when they are immortalised in my beloved American rock songs.

Maybe we should form an 'Chevy Appreciation Society'? More potential than a 'Preserve Kevins' campaign I think. We might even get GRowler to join.

>Take care - I wasn't picking on you, hope you know that.

If I thought you were picking on me I'd have called my Mum. Then you'd really be in trouble!

Kevin...
Ooer - scared now - please tell Mrs Mammy Kevin that it was all in good spirits. Please?

I'm up with you on the CAS - maybe post a few pics so I know what I'm campaigning for. As you can see, I am not at all transient/hesitant/unknowledgable in my likings and campaigns.

Take it we have a deal? (you do the promotions, rent out the car, I take a percentage of takings, ok? On a really good British summer's day I might be persuaded to languish over the bonnet in fur coat and fur-lined wellies, but that's about as stylish as it gets.)

HF ;)

HF,

don't have any digital photos handy but here's a page for an almost identical car.

www.tqhq.ee/peep.htm

I'm pleased to see that in the last photo he's ditched the bolt-on rear spoiler and taken it back to original. He's even put a .wav on there if you want to hear what it sounds like.

Kevin...

PS. I believe that there's at least one moderator on this site who owns, or did own, a Pontiac Firehawk of similar vintage.
Hello Kevin,

OK, deal's still on - I'll 'ave one. Naturally doesn't match up to my Astra but sometimes one just has to downgrade.

The sound was a bit freaky - sounded like one of those devil-worship-style songs they made in the 60's, I'm sure there were subliminal messages there.

As for a mod owning a Firehawk (missed out the word Pontiac so it would sound like I know what I'm talking about) - well you know more than I do on that.

Take care
HF
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Wee Willie Winkie
www.southportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?thre...4

Hee-hee-hee-hee-hee.

Most serious injury - dented pride.
What is a "Kev-Car"? - Mark (RLBS)
"did own" - sold it some while ago. But it was indeed about a '96.
What is a "Kev-Car"? - guerncrazyboy
I know this message was posted ages and ages ago, but i just seen it and thought to reply, a kev him self is, basically a chav, kappa slapper, what ever people cool them except they dont go out causeing trouble because there dedicated to there cars dont get me wrong not all of them do, but i myself am a kev in guernsey, channel islands and i take pride of my car, its appeared in max power magazine, and been over the most of the uk, its modified to the dogs danglys, engine ways and bodywork and it turns heads, a true kev is someone who actually works on there car and modify it them self ie custom building, which is what i did i custom built my cari had other kevs helping me because when your doing such a big job you need help, anyway i hope this answers your questions on what's a kev, just picture fast and furious the movie thats what kevs are similar to but they have been around for years my dad use to be a kev before i was even born an im 24 now Cya mate
What is a "Kev-Car"? - smokie
Here, have some of mine

. . . . . . . .

:0)
What is a "Kev-Car"? - madf
lol:-))
madf
What is a "Kev-Car"? - blue_haddock
Well this Kev's KEV-car is currently a 205STDT and a Rover 75 Diesel. Does this make me a chav?