Rover 75 Diesel - welshy
Hope some people here can help me out , Im very tempted on buying a 2001 year Rover 75 Conosouir se diesel . the car has 79,000 miles but drives absolutaly great , cant really believe its a diesel to be honest ! What i would like to know is does this engine have a cambelt or chain , as someone told me to steer clear of the 75,s as they are a nightmare to work on . the actual garage selling the car says it has a timing chain and not a belt , but who do i believe ! apparenlty it has a bmw engine ? What are these like for high mileage , it will be serviced on time if i buy it , but dont want an unreliable engine at the end of the day . Do hope you all can help me out here ??
Rover 75 Diesel - mare
Never even been in one, so can't help except to point towards that most excellent www.austin-rover.co.uk and read up on the 75. I understand that the engine is indeed BMW as used in the 3 series, slightly detuned.

(honest i have nothing to do with the site, it is just very informative)
Rover 75 Diesel - Chicken Madras
My Dad's got a 75 Connoisseur bells and whistles turbo diesel (albeit a 2002 52 reg). Why can't they go back to the nomenclature of "Sterling" or "S", "SE" etc - it's a lot easier to spell!

It hasn't done quite as many miles as the one you're looking at though. It does have a BMW engine so it's likely to go on for ever and a day.

Whereabouts are you? Anywhere near Lincolnshire? There's a great Rover/MG dealership in Whaplode St Johns - W.H. Brand and Sons. If you're near there, I'd recommend them without question. Before I got my first Lexus, I ran a Rover 623SLi which I bought from them. Lexus could learn a thing or two from their customer service.

All the best,
CM
Rover 75 Diesel - Pezzer
Seem to recall that HJ rates the TD Rover 75 and recommends chipping it (to 130ps?)which I think is a dealer supplied/fitted 'option'. Have a look in the Car by car breakdown HJ has reviewed the 75.
Rover 75 Diesel - 3500S
I have the exact same car, a 75 Conn CDTi, I had it chipped after trying the 118Ps and then the 131Ps, it's a factory XPower upgrade as well, it's the torque that gets the biggest boost up from 250Nm to 300Nm. The torque band is a little wider and also more of a plateau, it has the same 30-70 as the 2.5V6 and yet at 56mph it's good for 57mpg or 40mpg in extra-urban. The engine is the 2.0 BMW diesel same as the 320d but with 20Ps less. It's chain cam, very quiet (for a diesel) and with the climate control pump on it actually drowns out the diesel noise.

There's also a ZT diesel as well with a sportier ride and handling which is also a popular choice.

I've had mine 18 months and it's been absolutely faultless, the only thing is the engine does get though a bit of oil at first. I do a lot of 70mph motorway driving and it sits there right on 2150rpm in top (right in the torque band), utterly quiet inside, very, very good ride, plenty of gadgets in the Connoisseur, electric everything with plenty of nice touches like variable wash-wipe with 4 different intervals, both front seats are electric. The split-side climate control is excellent.

JD Power continually rates the ride of the 75 as second only to the Jag XJ, having driven one to Crewe and back several times (a 570 mile round trip) that's credible.

The 75 diesel is a well kept secret, the residuals are second in the segment and it's also recently What Car's secondhand family car of the year (again).

Try out a few, don't let the mileage put you off, they are very well screwed together, only group 7 insurance and the BMW diesel is practically bulletproof.
Rover 75 Diesel - welshy
Thanks very much for that info , really greatfull ! Looks like its time to go and buy the car . Whats the service costs like ?
Rover 75 Diesel - 3500S
I paid £150 for my 12,000 service which is about right.
Rover 75 Diesel - welshy
Thanks again , doesnt seem to expensive that does it ? Suppose i could do a lot worse by buying a Vectra or C5
Rover 75 Diesel - LeePower
Hi

Go out a get yourself the August 2004 edition of Car Mechanics magazine, They have a special buyers guide on the Rover 75 this month, They have just purchased a mint Y plate Club diesel for £4950.
Pop out & get yourself a copy & have a read on what to look out for & what to avoid.
Rover 75 Diesel - welshy
""""Go out a get yourself the August 2004 edition of Car Mechanics magazine, They have a special buyers guide on the Rover 75 this month, They have just purchased a mint Y plate Club diesel for £4950.
Pop out & get yourself a copy & have a read on what to look out for & what to avoid."""""

Is the magazine out allready in the newsagents ?Should be interesting read !
Rover 75 Diesel - LeePower
It should be out around now, I have a subscription to the mag & we get a copy a few days before it hits the shops.

Its the august 2004 edition & it has the Rover 75 in question on the front cover.

They have a 4 page feature on buying a pre owned Rover 75 this month, Which ones to buy ( The BMW diesel version ) & what specs to avoid ( Classic )