1997 Vauxhall Vectra Hatchback 2.0 LS - Ritz-dog
Going to view one of these 2morrow and want to know if there is anything I should look out for which could cause me a problem. Don\'t want to buy it and then have to spend another £1k gettin the dang thing repaired. Thought this is the only place worth coming to to ask
1997 Vauxhall Vectra Hatchback 2.0 LS - Sooty Tailpipes
Idle speed control problems, and low rpm vibrations (some of these engines are poorly balanced)
1997 Vauxhall Vectra Hatchback 2.0 LS - Quinny
I have a R plate 2.0dl Vectra.Same body,different engine.

Check inside the boot for water leaks.Pull up the carpet,and look all around the exposed metal,especially in the corners.Water comes in via the boot sealing rubber,and through window sealing rubbers.

Make sure if it has air con that it works properly.Check when it was last re-charged with gas,otherwise you could pay up to £100 to have it done.

The digital display on the dash loses it\'s dots that make up the full display.Make sure it all works,as they are a pain to change.

Check and make sure the electric windows work cleanly.My drivers door has a habit of sticking/travelling slowly on the way down.

And the usual......fsh,taxed,12 months test,if they\'re all available.

And finally........If your buying from a dealer,and it has a radio cassette,then try a negotiate a cd player,especially the Vauxhall one which is a straight swap.I did,and don\'t regret it.

The above are just my experiences,but I\'m sure others will tell you of their\'s.

Ken.

1997 Vauxhall Vectra Hatchback 2.0 LS - Dynamic Dave

As well as what's already been suggested:-

Ask when the cambelt and tensioner was last changed. Should be done every 40,000 or 4 years (which ever comes sooner)

Check for corrosion around the rear door latches.

Premature wear of the rear suspension bushes. This should be evident by the inner edges of the rear tyre(s) wearing down quicker than the rest of the tyre.

And not forgetting of course to also check out info mentioned in the "Car-by-Car Breakdown", which can be found in the menu on the left.

1997 Vauxhall Vectra Hatchback 2.0 LS - Ritz-dog
Many thanks for your comments guys, got the car and I think it's a good-one!
1997 Vauxhall Vectra Hatchback 2.0 LS - Quinny
Ah yes.The corrosion around the rear door latches.

I had mine done under warranty,after finding out about the manufacturing fault through a website, (Can't remember which one.) and I posted it on here.It was about 2 years ago.Vauxhall apparently knew about this fault,but chose to keep schtum,but my local dealer was fine about it.

Ken.