Roadside Landmarks - Bromptonaut
Eight of the twelve 250m radio masts by the M1 at Rugby were demolished over the weekend of 20 June. The rest will probably follow when their current use for the MSF time signal ends.

They have been a distinctive landmark, particulary at night with their red beacon lights on journeys since childhood. As a kid they were half way from Leeds to my Gran's in Blandford, now they mark nearly home in Northampton.

Do other backroomers hold particular landmarks, natural or manmade, in similar affection?
Roadside Landmarks - Happy Blue!
I agree. Although not halfway between London and Manchester, on the trip down to the Mother-in-Laws, they represent the final leg of the journey, with hopefully just under an hour until we see junction 4 of the M1.

Although not landmarks on a car journey and very few Backroomers will have been there, I get a good feeling at seeing the power station at Tel Aviv in Israel. It's called the Reading station and dates back to when Britain ran the Middle East. It is lit up in bright red and green at night and is a highly visible and welcome sight as you descend over the Mediterranean coast at the end of the long flight from Blighty.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Roadside Landmarks - Altea Ego
Some of the Rugby masts will remain, as they provide the only way to provide an aerial long enough to transmit the ULF signal to HM submarines. (when under water)

Funny thing is when they went to blow them up some of the charges didnt work -- rabbits had eaten thro the detonator cables!

Also M1 Rugby was a favourite place for early audis to break down, the signals swamped the vars ecu and electronics!
As a young child the trip from essex to visit uncle in portsmouth started with an early rise( to get through london before it jammed up), in an elderly unreliable car, and two thirds of the way there meant an early morning drive round the Devils Punch Bowl at Hindhead with the mist rising out of the bowl over the road and father recounting the tale of the hangings of the murdering highwaymen.....

Was I scared? bet your boots.

Now I live but a jot from the bowl, but it still remains a memory.
Roadside Landmarks - THe Growler
This will get me moddy-fied but it reminded me of when the mice ate through the cables of the electric chair in the Philippines, thus prolonging the backlog on Death Row.
Roadside Landmarks - pdc {P}
Spotting MowCop Castle from the M6 means I'm only about 15 mins away from visiting my friends and family in Stoke.
Roadside Landmarks - Insect
Going down to Exeter from Bristol on the M5 there's a nice statue made of some sort of basketwork. It's shortly followed by an endearingly-badly made camel leaning over the hedge, then the smell of the Bridgwater cellophane factory. All very handy if you want to be reminded of Bridgwater...
Roadside Landmarks - helicopter
I'm glad you reminded me of Bridgwater cellophane factory - Before I met SWMBO I was working there for 6 months in the early 70's and was involved in the construction of the M5, it was my first introduction to the true scrumpy ( rats and twigs all in at 1 shilling a pint - 5p for you youngsters ). One of my colleagues had a Lotus 7 ,in those days it was awesome - its great fun when you have a not yet opened motorway to drive on.

Happy days.
Roadside Landmarks - mike hannon
I see British Cellophane or whatever it was eventually called is no more. IIRC the last MD had a very nice E-Type. He thought my P6 V8 was good too.
The Wicker Man looks a bit odd to me - did they run out of osiers for his arms?
And, while I'm on the subject of my home patch, scrump - also known as scratch, screech or cripple, depending on the circumstances - was tenpence (old pence) a pint when I was 14 and started a lifelong relationship with it. But it was always a shilling to strangers...
By coincidence, I had a phone call today from a friend from Weston-super-Mare who's over here (in SW France) at the moment with 10 litres of scrump for me in his car boot. I can taste it already!
To get back to the thread, I lived under the shadow of Wellington Monument (high on a hill to the south of the M5) for years.
Roadside Landmarks - BazzaBear {P}
You can see Mow Cop Castle from the M6??
I've never noticed that.
Oh, wait a sec, it's not visible between J17 and J18 is it? I've never used that stretch since I always use one or the other junction depending on whether I'm going North or South.
I was just reading through this thread, and thinking "Can you see Mow Cop Castle from the M6?" when I saw that this clever and hamdsome sounding chap Bazzabear got there before me!

Have I really been on here for more than 3 years?
Bother.
"Hamdsome" = my subconscious rebelling against the thought of claiming to be good looking.
Roadside Landmarks - patently
Eight of the twelve 250m radio masts by the M1 at
Rugby were demolished over the weekend of 20 June. The rest
will probably follow when their current use for the MSF time
signal ends.

What a shame - they were also a distinctive landmark when I learnt to fly. Not only did they tell you where you were so helping you get home, they also provided a telling lesson on maintaining altitude...
Roadside Landmarks - Mapmaker
M11 has just two landmarks. The Stansted junction where it becomes 2 lane, and that water tower.
Roadside Landmarks - AngryJonny
Hellsby Hill and the ICI Plant at Frodsham (from the M56) all lit up at night, meant I was nearly home from University.

The big ship in dry-dock (I never worked out why it was there) at Mostyn (North Wales coast) meant we were nearly at Nain and Taid's (Gran and Grandad).

Dunham Bridge (A57 Lincs) = nearly at Grandma's

Roadside Landmarks - Imagos
What about the hundreds of cricket bats that were attached to the central reservation crash barriers on the M6 northbbound as you approach Birmingham? Don't know if they are still there? haven't been up there for a while.
The cooling towers by Tinsley viaduct on the M1; well and truly back in God's own county!!
Roadside Landmarks - pd
I've always had an odd soft spot for the "East Anglia via A12" sign on the M25 northbound before Junction 28 - mainly because when I see that I know in about 2 minutes I'll be turning East and towards home.

Got to admit - I'll quite miss the radio masts on the M1 too. ;(
Roadside Landmarks - Mark (RLBS)
The Severn Bridge....

There's a reason you have to pay to get into Wales but to get into England is free, you know.
Roadside Landmarks - pd
Well, if we\'re bringing Wales in I guess we\'re talking international landmarks too. ;)

Memorable motoring spotting of landmarks which spring to mind:

New Jersey Turnpike Northbound: The first glimpse you get of Manhattan skyline over the water on your right.

I15 Nevada: When you come over a hill and, all of a sudden, right in the middle of a desert in the most unlikely place there is a great city called Las Vegas. Effect works north or southbound. If its nightime, you\'ll have seen the Luxor \"beam\" about 1/2 hour before.

A1 Paris: Driving under a moving 747 as you pass under Charles de Gaulle taxiways. Also the Citroen factory.

A75/N9: Millau viaduct: wondering how far they\'ve got since you last saw it and still being stunned that they appear to be building a road in the sky.

A8 Bilbao to Madrid: Just the maddest motorway in the world. \"They built a road? Through this terrain?\"

Any motorway border crossing into Germany. The derestriction sign. Yippee.....

Roadside Landmarks - Mapmaker
The Severn bridge Eastbound, but Ross Westbound!
Roadside Landmarks - Ravenger
The cooling towers by Tinsley viaduct on the M1; well and truly back in God's
own county!!

They won't be around for long, despite local efforts to save them. :-( They've been due for demolition for a while, though the latest attempt to get rid of them has been posponed apparently.
Roadside Landmarks - Vin {P}
"They won't be around for long, despite local efforts to save them. :-( They've been due for demolition for a while, though the latest attempt to get rid of them has been posponed apparently."

Years ago, I remember them being up for sale for £2 each. The snag was that if you bought them you had to look after them. I never found out if they were sold.

V
The big ship in dry-dock (I never worked out why it
was there) at Mostyn (North Wales coast) meant we were nearly
at Nain and Taid's (Gran and Grandad).

It was called the Fun Ship, and was a kind of floating themepark, with shops.

Was pretty rubbish really.
I've heard it referred to as the "Fun Ship" before - always seemed a bit sinister to me. Did people actually go there - I never knew of anyone who did. Turned out it was a lot smaller than it looked from the road as well. More of a ferry than a liner.

Other landmarks...? The big brick arches on the (now) M60 at Stockport meant that it was time to get over to the left to join the M56.
Other landmarks...? The big brick arches on the (now) M60 at
Stockport meant that it was time to get over to the
left to join the M56.

>>

How cautious are you with your leaving the motorway? That must be at least 3 miles before you need to get over!! Still, beats going exiting from lane 3 at the 100 yard marker!
Heh... when you're screaming along at 150, those 3 miles fly past. ;-)
Roadside Landmarks - Andrew-T
"Helsby Hill and the ICI Plant at Frodsham (from the M56)" - the denizens of Frodsham would not accept an ICI plant in their town - it's in Runcorn, just over the hill from here. If you can afford to live in F rather than R, you do so. But I agree it is a landmark.

Also the first proper glimpse of the Lakeland hills after bypassing Kendal on the A591 near Staveley.
Roadside Landmarks - Pugugly {P}
"The big ship in dry-dock (I never worked out why it was there) at Mostyn (North Wales coast) meant we were nearly at Nain and Taid's (Gran and Grandad)." Former cross flannel cherry (to quote Charlotte Green) sailed there in the late 70s to rot as an "attraction" allegedly.

Fort Dunlop on the M6 recently replaced by the RAC greenhouse -
almost a metaphor for our times.
Roadside Landmarks - Wales Forester
"The big ship in dry-dock (I never worked out why it
was there) at Mostyn (North Wales coast) meant we were nearly
at Nain and Taid's (Gran and Grandad)." Former cross flannel cherry
(to quote Charlotte Green) sailed there in the late 70s to
rot as an "attraction" allegedly.

It's rotting well and truly, that old memory from passing there as a child is now replaced with a "what an eyesore" thought every time I drive past the thing!

PP
Roadside Landmarks - Wales Forester
After a quick 'Google' I've found this link which shows the ship concerned.
www.classicferries.fsnet.co.uk/last_heysham_duke.h...m
All these years and I didn't know that it was called the Duke of Lancaster!

PP
Roadside Landmarks - Stargazer {P}
The Settle and Carlise railway viaduct in the Yorkshire Dales around Ingleborough, seen in all weathers from snow to glorious summers day but always magnificent.

StarGazer
Watford Gap services on the M1 - southbound. Always the thought
"Yes Watford - Getting near home"

The the realisation, Geeze its nowhere near watford and MILES away from home
Roadside Landmarks - Alfafan {P}
When i used to live in neath, the whole sweep of Swansea Bay heading west on the M4, beautiful. Then shortly after that the less than lovely sight of the Port Talbot steelworks.
Roadside Landmarks - clariman
Watford Gap services on the M1 - southbound. Always the thought
\"Yes Watford - Getting near home\"
The the realisation, Geeze its nowhere near watford and MILES away
from home

They are near Watford. Just not THAT Watford! ;o)

tinyurl.com/2gfwu

{Link shortened using tinyurl.com as it was previously screwing up the page width. DD}
Roadside Landmarks - Happy Blue!
Well you learn something every day!

Watford Gap has to be one of the most depressing service stations in the UK. Remarkable how it is so close to the recently demolished radio masts that started this thread.

Couldn't they have demolished Watford Gap instead.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Roadside Landmarks - spikeyhead {p}
Is anyone else familiar with Roy Harpers song, Watford Gap?

contains the lyrics

"a plate of grease and a load of crap"
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Roadside Landmarks - Andrew-T
"a plate of grease and a load of crap"

Hey - how come the swear-trap failed?
Roadside Landmarks - Mark (RLBS)
homepage.mac.com/musicnaut/royharper/lyrics/watfor...l
The remaining four big masts at Rugby were felled in the last few weeks following transfer of the MSF clock signal transmission to Cumbria.

Still a significant set of antennae of varying types and designs but nothing of a height requiring haznav lights.

Another landmark gone.
Roadside Landmarks - Nsar
Anyone know what the two sets of three masts are next to the M60 at Ashton Under Lyne?
Roadside Landmarks - Bilboman
I shed a tear or two when I heard the masts had gone, having returned to my home town so many times over the years by car or coach. Those clusters of red lights welcoming me home after my trips away to university and then further afield...
www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/r/rugby_radio/in...l
A booklet was published by local historian Pete Chambers, full of fascinating anecdotes: how one previous Prince of Wales turned up one day and insisted on climbing up one of the towers; and how the original Rugby time signal can actually be heard on the original Tubular Bells LP, via a guitar pick in the Manor Recording studio 40 miles away.
Motoring link is getting tenuous here, but how many times have we heard those six beeps on the hour? My Vectra's radio used to set its clock to the signal automatically!!
Roadside Landmarks - Ruperts Trooper
I broke down in 1979 on the A5 outside Rugby Radio Station but it took hours for the AA to find me, their system could find no reference to it, despite it being there since before WWII.
Roadside Landmarks - Cliff Pope
Any signs giving old roads their proper traditional names.

Anyone remember when people called the A1 the Great North Road?
Is the Ram Jam Inn still there?

I rememberl helping my uncle herd sheep along the road near there in about 1956.
Roadside Landmarks - L'escargot

The official road name of some parts of it is Great North Road ~ see tinyurl.com/3979rn
--
L\'escargot.
Roadside Landmarks - Walton2
Emley Moor mast, especially heading north on M1, = nearly home
Roadside Landmarks - OldSock
I'll second the Emley Moor TV tower - it's tall, that is!

Also....

The Ferrybridge power station by the M62/A1 junction. Can be very dramatic if the lighting is right - very 'northern' :-) (a compliment, BTW).

Fort Dunlop on the M6 - though not too sure about the recent 'renovation' :-(

The Pennine Way crossing over the M62 - happy memories of doing said walk.

Roadside Landmarks - Vansboy
Travelling along the Acle straight, it has to be the view of the chimney of the South Denes power station, at Great Yarmouth. Clearly seen by any keen eyed youngster, going for their annual summer holiday, as a confirmation that the answer to 'are we nearly there yet' question is YES!

It was demolished, a few years back, meaning it was the Oasis tower & the new Yare crossing bridge, that was looked out for.

Fortunatly the power station has been re-built, with a new chimney, to keep everyone happy!

VB
Roadside Landmarks - daveyjp
Re Tinsley cooling towers. Enjoy them while you can. Reports are they will be gone by the end of this year.
Roadside Landmarks - tack
Half Way House on the A127 between Ilford & Southend on Sea. In the 60's, used to take a break there on the really arduous 25 mile journey to the seaside.....unbelievable eh?

Also, Hylands Park Chelmsford to break the journey between Ilford and Walton on the Naze. Used to brew up on a primus stove on the greensward next to the carriageway.....again, unbelievable!
Roadside Landmarks - gmac
The QE2 bridge over the Thames.
Tynsley viaduct cooling towers - only another couple of hours home.
A19 raised section by Middlesbrough as you rise above the smog.
A19 near Sunderland you can see the coast on the right, but not much of Sunderland :), and Penshaw monument on the left.
View towards Edinburgh looking over the Forth from the A68 just to the south of Dalkeith.
Summers evening driving towards Bamburgh from the A1 with the sun behind and the full view of the castle in front.
Warkworth Castle in spring, the north side of the moat covered in daffodils.
The A82 Tyndrum to Ballachulish makes you feel very small in a car or out in the elements on a bike.
Roadside Landmarks - Lud
Stonehenge, beside the A303. You get a good view of it when travelling westwards. Don't stop though unless very off season. Facilities voted most carp of all British tourist attractions, and with reason. But it looks fabulous when you are going down the hill towards it.
Roadside Landmarks - billy25
The "Burger van" on the layby on the A595 just outside Broughton-in- furness, Cumbria, when i get there, i'm 10 mins from my tea at home, so i don't stop.

Billy.
Roadside Landmarks - sidspud
The cooling towers at Chapelcross nuclear power station near Annan marked 15 minutes from home.

That was until they blew them up earlier this year.

Roadside Landmarks - Oilyman
How about the elephant 'sculpture' made from different sections / sizes of pipe on the A30 at Camberley or the model of a man with the Rotavator (which turned) just up the road outside a garden centre. Made many a trip to grandparents in 1970s slightly less boring.
What, the one on the tight bend? it was always a toss-up between that and the Waysider just beyond Cartmel on my frequent trips to Windscale. Happy days
Roadside Landmarks - billy25
>>What, the one on the tight bend? <<

Thats the one! it's gone all up-market, now it's got two patio sets with parasols for you to sit and eat at !!

Billy
What!!! They'll be serving them lattes and croissants next.
Half Way House on the A127 between Ilford & Southend on Sea. In the 60's
used to take a break there on the really arduous 25 mile journey to the
seaside.....unbelievable eh?

Indeed. Dear old granny had a sherry glass from the half way house. On the other side in the 60's Agip built a very stylish very continental service area, conplete with a resturant that did the most magnificent "pommes frites" (thin straw chips, never seen int he UK in the 60's)
The look of the fire breathing Agip dragon and the word "supercortemaggiore" was a memory for me as a child.

Sadly Agip service stations did not last long, straw chips were a step too far for essex bog dwellers of the time.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
As a Yorkshireman by birth the Tinsley towers have also been a lifelong landmark - will be sorry to see their demise but I guess the cost of preservation would be prohibitive.

Anyone else remember the "fully detailed" cast metal bull just south of Tinsley and on the opposite side of the M1. Went after the Avesta Stainless company was taken over/renamed.

Northampton still has the former Express Lifts test site - a 400 foot chimney like structure visible east of the motorway between junctions 15 & 16. Terry Wogan calls it the Northampton ligthouse
Roadside Landmarks - Group B
Anyone else remember the "fully detailed" cast metal bull just south of Tinsley and on
the opposite side of the M1. Went after the Avesta Stainless company was taken over/renamed.

Yes the bull was cool, its a shame they couldnt keep it there as a landmark. Avesta was an okay name, what is it called now, Outokumpu? A weird name to be plastered across a Sheffield steelworks..

I remember driving past there once and there were loads of scrap tank chassis parked in a yard, ready for recycling.
Roadside Landmarks - TimOrridge
It was also IIRC Precision Stainless before that. I will always remember the combined clock/thermometer. On the works itself overlooking Tinsley. I have seen some wierd stuff a coule of times on that when it has malfuntioned
Roadside Landmarks - Ravenger
Anyone else remember the "fully detailed" cast metal bull just south of Tinsley and on
the opposite side of the M1. Went after the Avesta Stainless company was taken over/renamed.

There's a bull statue like that outside the Magna science adventure centre in Rotherham. Perhaps it was moved there?
Roadside Landmarks - L'escargot
I'll second the Emley Moor TV tower - it's tall that is!

But not as tall as Belmont, which leads me home. tinyurl.com/2vur6e
--
L\'escargot.
The current reinforced concrete mast at Emley Moor replaces a twin to the Belmont mast felled by ice in 1969.
snipquote
Is the Ram Jam Inn still there?

Ram jam inn still present and correct.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Roadside Landmarks - legacylad
Ribblehead viaduct.
Also as seen from the Station Inn at Ribblehead...they call it ''the loo with a view''.
My landmark has been Ingleborough...driving home from work in Keighley, my first view from around Long Preston meant that I was almost home.
Roadside Landmarks - Waino
For me, it's the old airship hangers at Cardington, Beds. I hope they survive.
Roadside Landmarks - f2
For me it was always the top of the canopy and propellor tips of a Fairey Gannet that could be glimpsed behind a wall as you make your way around Cirencester on the dual carriageway.

I have no idea why it was there and I'm no longer employed in that neck of the woods so I don't know if it remains. Hope so.

f2
Roadside Landmarks - Group B
I would go for the Emley Moor mast as well. Not near home but its a very impressive structure. If you drive up to the entrance gate for the site, the door in the side of the mast looks tiny, then you realise its actually a large industrial door.

One I have developed an liking for is just after junction 27 southbound on the M1. Visible above the trees at the side of the m-way, there are four very tall red-brick chimneys, which used to belong to a brick works. They look like the legs of a giant upturned table..

A future one I'm going to follow with interest is the proposed Solar Pyramid, which is to be built near junction 30 of the M1. Construction has supposed to have already started, but I didn't see anything happening on the site last time I passed (but I did see them drilling boreholes a couple of years ago).
When completed it will be... erm... the worlds largest timepiece:
www.solarpyramid.co.uk/content.php?content_id=21
Roadside Landmarks - tack
another springs to mind. Charlie Browns Roundabout, named after the long gone greasy spoon used by Rockers on their bikes. Now just a featureless concrete monstrosity of a fly-over. Also, the Moby Dick Pub on the A12 Eastern Ave. Someone tried to change its name to Jaspers, or some other poncy nomenclature. Several punches to the head restored common sense, good order and dignity. Moby Dick it still is.
The A4 was full of them.

The moving windscreen wiper on the Trico factory, the big red curly F on the Firestone factory, and the Lucozade bottle and glass in moving neon!
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Roadside Landmarks - Pugugly {P}
And the giant Molewrench by the Port Talbot steel works on the M4(where it was invented)