Brake pad material - Andrew-T
I thought that asbestos had not been used in brake pads for 10 or 15 years, yet Haynes manuals still warn readers against the dangers of dust inhalation. Is it still used in clutches and shoes? If not, why the warnings? Or if the replacement is also hazardous, what has been really achieved - apart from accelerated wear of discs?
Brake pad material - rustbucket
I thought that asbestos had not been used in brake pads
for 10 or 15 years, yet Haynes manuals still warn readers
against the dangers of dust inhalation. Is it still used
in clutches and shoes? If not, why the warnings? Or if
the replacement is also hazardous, what has been really achieved -
apart from accelerated wear of discs?

Any dust is detremental to your lungs,caol, flour, wood and any other you can think of, it does not have to be asbestos.

rustbucket (the original)
Brake pad material - Doc
Asbestos is a fibrous mineral, of which there are various types. The fibres are very narrow and are therefore easily respirable. Their resistance to chemical dissolution means that they will persist for a long time - perhaps indefinitely once they have settled in the lung.
It is so dangerous because the body is not able to effectively deal with asbestos fibres as it can with many other materials.

Brake pad material - Civic8
I could be wrong here but I gather pads/shoes/clutch are made of a metal dust.the exact makeup I am not sure about but would think the danger of dust inhalation is as ever.would also explain why disc`s are worn faster with new pads.

>>what has been really achieved
not being an expert on the subject.can only think the lungs have more chance to disperse the new type of dust than the fibrous asbestos which stick to the lung.even so any type of dust is not good for the lung.
--
Was mech1
Brake pad material - Roberson
Hi,

I pretty much echo the thoughts of evryone here, as many forms of dust are hazardous to the lungs etc. But, although it is illegal for new parts to be made of asbestos (i think) parts containing it may still be in circulation through autojumbles and peoples old stock maybe. It is not against the law for YOU to fit them, it is if you ask a garage to fit them.

So, although it is still dangerous to inhale the 'new' dust, it may still be possible that asbostos remains, (more so in older cars) further stressing the point of better safe than sorry.

Roberson
Brake pad material - henry k
Haynes manuals still warn readers
against the dangers of dust inhalation.

>>
I contacted Haynes some months ago re the out of date general sections of their manuals. I pointed out the coverage of asbestos etc. They agreed to review things and I suggested several other changes.
I also pointed out many errors in the Focus manual which they also accepted.
Brake pad material - Civic8
I think they are right regardless of what anyone thinks.dust in anyway shape or form from a car/coach/bus/train.is a health hazard.I think your point about being out of date.I dont think is.breathing in dust from any type of brake is a health hazard.I think if they review and change the policy is wrong.unless it still reflects the dangers of dust.I`LL get of my high horse now.hope you see my point.Cant answer for focus errors
--
Was mech1
Brake pad material - Onetap
"Is it still used in clutches and shoes?"

It shouldn't be used, but you don't know what the old shoes/pads were made of when you come to change them. I think the warning is appropriate. I recently binned a set of pads, for a BX, which had been on a shelf in my garage. They were still wrapped, as new, and marked as containing asbestos. I don't think they were more than 7 or 8 years old. The BX was binned a few years back.
Brake pad material - henry k
Of course I agree with warnings about dust especially with the use of an airline to blast out the dust from drum brakes.
The point I was making to Haynes, with which they agreed, was to update the glossary part to reflect modern cars. I am not expecting them to edit any new print runs for old cars.

However I do not think it was an option, with OE produced parts, to have asbestos brake materials for a Ford FOCUS hence no need to mention asbestos when / if a new Focus edition is published. The same applies to any future manuals for new or yet to be made cars.
Brake pad material - Mapmaker
>>binned

I hope you disposed of them appropriately at your local 'civic amenity site'!