Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - Mapmaker
Is a broken wheel stud (on 5 stud wheels) a MOT fail?

Thanks
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - Dynamic Dave

Certainly is:-

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_420.htm

Method of Inspection

1. Check all road wheels for....
c. presence and tightness of wheel fixing nuts, studs, bolts etc

Reason for rejection

c. loose or missing wheel nuts, studs or bolts.

Cheers!
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - trancer
Excellent link, being new to the UK and MOTs I have to admit that I am dreading my first. That website goes a long way to learning more about what they look for, but unfortunately it isn't helping me with a question I have.

I have read (here I think) about a car failing because of corroded fuel lines. I noticed some corrosion on my fuel lines, but reading through the MOT manual didn't really explain the pass/fail criteria. Can anyone shed some light?. Is any corrosion a fail?, some?, how much?, do they just look for leaks caused by corrosion then just fail it under the general heading of "corrosion"?.
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - RichardW
See this section:

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_720.htm

Only a fail if it leaking or a component is 'insecure'. In my experience that means hanging right off or about to fall off. A bit of corrosion should be OK, but you will probably get an 'advisory'. Give them a quick rub down afterwards and slap some underseal on them to try and stop it.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - David Horn
You might do well to pick up a Haynes manual. They have a big section at the back which goes through all the things you should check prior to an MOT.
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - SjB {P}
20 years ago, on my parents driveway, I replaced a ball joint on my Austin Aggro 1750, and was called to the telephone ('NOW', please...) before I torqued the wheel nuts up.

From phone call followed dinner, followed some TV, followed, finally, by taking the car off the axle stands.

Late at night, time to drive home, "What the 'eck..." as a fearsome clatter developed 50 yards down the street.

Ah, that'll be the front right hand wheel about to fall off! (Thankfully it didn't)

Now, I never let a phone call or anything else interrupt my train of thought on such matters. If they really want me, they'll leave a message or call back.
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - none
Trancer,
Mechanics remove and sometimes refit lightly rusted brake and fuel lines every day. When I did the testers course the official view was to assume that the rusted section was next to the pipe securing nut, and that if removing or loosening the nut would cause damage to the pipe (due to it being rusty) the pipe should be failed.
As for loose / missing wheel nuts, if the tester can't see them, he can't fail them. The HGV test is a bit more thorough as every wheel nut is tapped with a small hammer to check 'tight ring' or 'slack clack'.
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - trancer
Thanks for that, none. The pipe in question is the overflow or vent pipe from what I can see in the Bentley manual I have. There are no nuts securing it, just plastic clips attaching it to the plastic fuel tank. I suppose I could try removing it from the clips to see if that damages it, but don't really see the point in my doing that. I assume the only way to test if it leaks would be to overfill the tank on a hot day, another thing I don't feel the need to try.
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - Victorbox
As this stud is likely to be under a plastic wheel trim or hub cap (remember those?) or even a decorative locking cap with an alloy wheel, how would they know it was broken? I've never seen an MOT where they took off the wheel trim to inspect the studs.
Bit obvious though when the studs sit through the steel wheel, no hub caps/trim on a Hilux, though!
If you think it is safe with four studs then this is a case for a set of those £15 plastic wheel trims from Halfords I feel!
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - jc
If you think your life is worth £15 be my guest,don't know this car but most wheel studs can be replaced in 5 minutes with a big hammer.
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - Civic8
>>If you think it is safe with four studs then this is a case for a set of those £15 plastic wheel trims from Halfords I feel!

isnt that saying yes it is safe to do so.would have thought you`d say get it fixed as it is dangerous.Losing a stud or bolt puts more pressure on remaining.giving more chance of failure of these studs/bolts.as they are the only way of holding wheel on to hub.
--
Was mech1
The onus is on the individual to make a choice about their own vehicle. I know nothing about the safety margins built into a set of wheel studs on a Hilux. Citroen used to get away with three wheel studs/bolts per wheel I seem to recall.
The problem with a missing stud is the symmetry of the wheel. Whilst you can have 3 on a Citroen it is working as designed.
I thought the original question was whether the broken stud would pass an MOT, not moralising on whether this was a good thing long term - which of course it isn't.
Broken wheel stud, MOT fail? - IanJohnson
Having once had to dodge the front wheel from an excavator which had just come off, and rolled about 150 yard before stopping GET IT FIXED before it causes injury to SOMEONE ELSE.

We should be able to take risks with our own safety but not that of others.