Vauxhall Cavalier Elec Windows Problem - St0rmRider
I have a 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier. As off yesterday the electricc windows have stopped working. The drivers is stuck half open and doesnt respond to the button. Neither does the passenger side window.
I checked the fuses and they seem fine.

Could it be a relay problem?

If so, where would I find the correct relay?

There are three in the fuse box, two of which are for other things and one is marked 'W'.

Or could there be a diferent problem?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards.
Vauxhall Cavalier Elec Windows Problem - Deryck Tintagel
I don't think there is a relay in the fusebox but there is a control module somewhere. I'll look in the Haynes manual tonight and post tomorrow.

In the meantime, two questions:

Do the LEDs in the switches light with the driver's door open or ignition in ACC position?

Have you tried pressing the override button to the rear of the switches? This will bypass the overload trip
Hi.

No the LED,s do not light with drivers door open and I have tried the override button too.

No effect.
Vauxhall Cavalier Elec Windows Problem - Dynamic Dave

Have you tried to see if the window will close via the door key? ie, put key in door lock and turn to lock doors and hold in that position for a few seconds.

Vauxhall Cavalier Elec Windows Problem - Victorbox
DD. From memory, do you have to hold the key at the "ten to" position for a few seconds rather than the flat "quarter to three" used for deadlocking?
Vauxhall Cavalier Elec Windows Problem - Jono_99
Yup, somewhere around the "ten to" position, but I have never been fully convinced how I get the electric windows to rise on the central locking key on my '95 cavalier You can "feel" that a contact is being made around there and sometimes the windows go up!

Not sure this will help, but hope it does

Jono
DD. From memory, do you have to hold the key at
the "ten to" position for a few seconds rather than the
flat "quarter to three" used for deadlocking?

Victorbox, on my old J reg (1991) Cavalier, the windows would only close by holding the key at the "ten to" position, but on the L reg (1993) Cavalier I had, you could close the windows by also holding the key at fractionally past the "quarter to three" position as well.

Vauxhall Cavalier Elec Windows Problem - Civic8
As a matter of interest.try the window switches come across one where both fronts had failed.power was getting to drivers switch but wouldnt work.replaced all was fine.may be wrong?
IIRC the lights in the switch`s dont turn on with door opening they are powered from sidelights.correct me if wrong?
Vauxhall Cavalier Elec Windows Problem - MikeC
IIRC the lights in the switch`s dont turn on with door
opening they are powered from sidelights.correct me if wrong?

The orange lights in the buttons are illuminated when the windows are useable: 1) when ignition is on, 2) for a limited time after ign is switched off and 3) when the drivers door is open irrespective of ignition position. From memory the sidelights have no effect on the switch lights.
Hope this helps.

I stand corrected MikeC.you live and learn.
The orange lights in the buttons are illuminated when the windows
are useable: 1) when ignition is on, 2) for a
limited time after ign is switched off and 3) when the
drivers door is open irrespective of ignition position. From memory
the sidelights have no effect on the switch lights.

Correct MikeC.

I've had a look at the schematics ...

Firstly, there are three fuses controlling the windows - two 30A supplying the motors and one 10A supplying the control electronics - F26, F30 and F12. The control electronics are located with the window switches so if all the fuses are OK than you will have to remove the rear setion centre console but let me know how you get on
Hi again, I have checked all the fuses and they are all fine.

Vauxhall Cavalier Elec Windows Problem - MW
It is probably a power problem, but did they just die, or were they 'playing up for some time?' In my old SAAB 900 they played up. I carefully unplugged the switch and very carefully prised it apart. Watch for the assemly order, breaking lugs, and flying springs. The contact points were pitted and black after many years use. Clean up with fine emery, and reassemble. Perfect.
This even worked recently on the rear interior light switch on my Mercedes 230E.
They just died suddenly.
Initially after checking the fuses I thought maybe it was a switch problem.
I replaced the console with the switches, with a console from my other cavalier but still no joy, whereas the switches work fine on my other car.
So i thought maybe its a relay problem or something but can't find the relay, hence starting this post.
The electronics are within the switch module so if you have swapped the switches from a known good car to the faulty car then it wound suggest a fault with the wiring or motors.

IIRC there is a multiway connector under the trim under the handbrake lever. Disconnect the switches. Ignition on. If you have a voltmeter check that you have 12V at pins 4 and 13. Check you have a good ground to pin 15. Using a length of wire connect the following pins as detailed but not for too long as there will be no shutoff circuitry:

Pin 5 (Grey / Green) to 13 (Black) - the driver's window should go up
Pin 6 (Blue / Red) to 13 - the driver's window should go down
Pin 11 (Grey / Green) to 13 - the passenger window should go up
Pin 12 (Blue / Red) to 13 - the passenger window should go down

The pins should be marked on the connector but I have included the colours on the list

Just had another look at the schematic - connecting to pin 13 will not do anything as this is a feed to the electronics which feeds the switches. Try a connection to another 12V supply say from the radio and preferably via a low rated fuse.