Saab 93 Conv Bulkhead - sandersj89
posted 21-06-2004 15:28
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

My wife?s Saab 93 was in for service last week. It is a ?98 example with 56,000 miles on the clock. 2.3l non turbo variant covered by the approved Saab used car warranty supplied with the car when we bought it from a main dealer late last year.

When I went to pick up the car the informed me that the bulkhead on the passenger side of the car is starting to crack and needs attention at a cost of at least £550. (This on top of a major 66,000 mile service and new discs and pads all round is not a pleasant surprise!) They immediately said they had already written to Saab UK to ask for a contribution and they would let me know within 10 days.

I have a number of questions:

1. When querying the problem I asked if the warranty should cover the problem seeing as it is a Saab warranty on an approved Saab car. They said no the warranty did not cover. Anyone else been in a similar situation, know if that is true or not?

2. Should the selling dealer, not the servicing dealer, be approached to query the damage/problem as could it have been evident before I bought the car? Though I expect their response would be, sorry mate, no problem when we sold you the car??

3. They say the car is safe to drive, is this the case, the bulkhead surly forms part of the structural integrity of the car and is key in passenger protection.

4. Could a good independent carry out the work at a more competitive price?

Other work carried out at the service included a head re torque as they said there was a slight leak. Is there any way I can check if this has solved the problem? To be honest I did not know there was a leak, I check fluid levels every 10days 2 weeks or so and have never had to top anything other than the washer fluid.

Thanks

Jerry
Saab 93 Conv Bulkhead - Victorbox
Is this the Saab which uses the Mk3 Cavalier floorpan? If so Honest John's car-by-car guide for the Cavalier mentions split bulkheads near the steering rack. www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index...m
Saab 93 Conv Bulkhead - Victorbox
In fact a quick look at the car-by-car guide for the 98 Saab 93 confirms its relationship to the Cavalier: "What's Bad
Still has bulkhead mounted steering rack like Cavalier. Scuttle-shake of popular convertible can still set your teeth rattling. Reports of bulkhead fractures."