Toyota Yaris - Keys and Deal questions - Hawesy1982
Hi all,

I've got a couple of questions to ask about a car that my girlfriend is considering buying.

On the face of it:

Y reg Toyota Yaris 1.0 GS, 28k miles - £3250

Looks like a very very good deal, yes?

Reason for such a cheap price - the seller is a friend of my girlfriend's, and is working in Holland for the forseeable future, and needs to sell the car. He will put a new MOT on the car as part of the sale.

Still looks good, yes? Here comes the downside: the seller knows approximately as much about cars as i do about tulips, clogs and windmills, and so there are a number of 'issues'.

Firstly, the car is now over 3 years old, but does not currently have an MOT. As the car has not been resident in the UK for the last 6 months or so, does this matter? He will bring it back to the UK and put an MOT on it before any money changes hands.

Secondly, he has no service history or manual for the car, and has not opened the bonnet since he got it a year ago.

Thirdly, he hasn't got the master key, only one (slightly bent) normal key, and after a bit of research i've found out that getting a new master key could cost up to £1000 due to the ECU having to be changed in order to have a new master key!

My Questions:

Is this still a worthwhile deal?
Is this master key issue really going to cost up to £1000?
Would i be able to find service history for the car from Toyota?

Sorry for the long posting, all replies will be greatly appreciated
Toyota Yaris - Keys and Deal questions - madf
check the V5 before you do anything.
No V5, cheap car, no docs?

hmmm possibly...

madf

Toyota Yaris - Keys and Deal questions - Hawesy1982
Its got the V5 for definite, the main issue is with the keys.

It's only 3 and a bit years old aswell, so i can't imagine there can be too much wrong with it.

My gf will be doing an HPi check on it anyway, just to make sure it's kosher
Toyota Yaris - Keys and Deal questions - Nortones2
Same rules of maintenance apply to Toyotas as to anything else.
How long does it take to wreck an engine wothout oil or coolant? The line "not opened the bonnet since he got it a year ago" indicates a very foolish person, or worse. Cave canem.